Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

SiriusXM and Cancellations

A place to discuss programming, content sources & aggregator web sites, hardware, and all things related to emerging audio programming distribution technologies.
Deleted User 4520

SiriusXM and Cancellations

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:41 pm

For those of you who have had SiriusXm and cancelled, do they give you a hard time when canceling your subscription? I'm on a trial subscription that came with my car and its set to expire on Nov. 10th. I have been kicking the can around trying to decide if I wanna keep my subscription going or not. I just don't want any pressure or get the 3rd degree why I would be canceling. I know a lot of places give you reduced rates or something similar to keep you aboard but sometimes I think these places don't like taking no for an answer.

Deleted User 24

Re: SiriusXM and Cancellations

Post by Deleted User 24 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:51 pm

If you keep saying, "no," you can get them down to about $30 for five months. They will not go longer at that rate. You must remember to threaten to cancel toward the end of that period or you will automatically be renewed at a higher rate. I have done this 4 or 5 times.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Traditionally I don't usually take the bait on those offers. If I want to cancel it means I want to cancel...not keep getting offers for lower rates. I will agree it is a good way to get a better rate. Can you be billed monthly? I have been hesitant because you must call them to cancel, hence the pressure and the hassle they give you to stay with them. I think if there was an option to cancel online then I think I'd be more inclined to continue since there'd be no hassles.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:19 pm

No online cancellation; not paying results in bill collection; you HAVE to talk to a real person for 20 minutes to cancel, and if you hold out 3x, you will eventually get the $5-$6/month deal for 5-6 months tops, or a year for about $117 + tax + royalties.
It's always a game with them.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:35 pm

The cheapest package looks like $10.99/month + taxes. That plan is just the music channels. Online listening is an extra $4.00/month. I wouldn't mind online listening but I really don't need it as iHeart Radio pretty much has me covered. I just can't decide what I want right now.

jry

Post by jry » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:24 pm

THEY ARE AN ABSOLUTE BEAR to deal with. Even when you change cars and move the service over, they can be a pain. I caught them charging me for a car i sold and cancelled.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:58 pm

The Force, try again, and see if they can give you the Select package with online for that same rate? Online is good for one thing- the audio quality is 4x better than the turd audio in your car tuner. Keep working your way up and down the ladder at the cancellation department until you get to a Canadian or US CSRep instead of Jamaica.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:25 pm

I've renewed several times, after the special rate package ended and they had billed my account at regular rate. I explain that I want to cancel because it's worth $5 a month to me. They generally offer a package for $99 a year. Nope, it's only worth $5 a month to me. Then they offer to give me 5 months for $25 + taxes.

Since they've taken about $18 out of my account already for the regular rate, I only owe another $12 or so to cover the 5 month package. They always ask me to call and cancel before the 5 months is up and it switches to regular rate, but I forget to call.

I am willing to cancel when I say that because it IS only worth $5 a month to me.

Whole call takes me about 10 minutes and they've always been very nice. Maybe they can see that I mean what I'm saying and they're wasting their time to try an up sell me???

Give it a try when you call them.

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:20 pm

I've decided I'm not gonna bother re-subscribing. I just got a 3rd letter in the mail about it...all in the trash now. No doubt I'll miss it but I have heard they do have free periods every once in a while.

UPDATE: Now I am getting phone calls from SiriusXM. I hung up on them.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:47 am

I made the right choice by not continuing my service beyond the free trial. Check this out!

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_el ... irius.html

Here is one reviewer and this is what I was always afraid of.

If you are thinking about subscribing to SiriusXM, keep in mind that it's a one way street. You can enter, but you can't leave. Look closely at their website, you there is NO cancel button anywhere. You MUST call them to cancel, and let me tell you, it's not a pleasant experience. Plan at least an hour to be on the phone with them.

I subscribed after receiving a "deal" in the mail, 6 months for $24.95. Knowing that it might be difficult to cancel, I intentionally used a credit card that was going to be expired/replaced before 6 months. That way, I thought, I wouldn't need to call and cancel if I didn't like the service. WRONG. Sirius will not just stop your service if the money runs out: they will start running a balance. You MUST call to cancel, no matter what.

So I called to cancel. After 20-30 minutes of a hard sell, the representative from Sirius finally told me that she can't even cancel me. To do that, she is going to transfer me to another department. So after waiting another 10 minutes on hold, they simply hung up on me. Nice. SO I called back. Again another 20 minutes of hard sell. Finally, after being put on hold again, she responds back. In a very flat voice, tells me the "cancellation number". Luckily, hours later, I notice that my Sirius radio has been turned off. Finally. I have never been so relieved.

So how bad is the experience of trying to cancel Sirius? If you have ever been to a Timeshare sales seminar and experienced their hard sell, you'll have something to compare your Sirius experience to. It's similar. Overall, the radio service itself isn't that bad. It's certainly overpriced for what it is. What ruins the whole deal is the cancellation procedure (i.e. being raked over the coals). It just gives you a crummy feeling to look at the radio, every time you get in your car, and know how terrible their customer service/cancellation procedure is going to be when the day comes that you don't want it anymore. What's silly is that maybe some of their customers would come back, if they didn't treat them so poorly. Message to Sirius: PUT A CANCELLATION BUTTON on your website. I mean if I can subscribe online in less than a minute, why does it take an hour of torture to cancel???

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:25 pm

I subscribed to Sirius early on before their merger with XM. After a few months I decided I didn't like it and called up to cancel. The woman I talked to offered me the next 3 months free to give me time to reconsider. I took the three months and during that period the merger took place. The programming on the merged systems was better than tho old XM, so I decided to keep it. Today, bout a decade later, I'm still a subscriber.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Steve Dirksen

Post by Steve Dirksen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:50 am

Been a subscriber for about a year. Last week I got a bill for 3 months for over 50 bucks, called em, got credit, and resigned for 5 months at 25 bucks. No problem. Haven't listened to much commercial radio lately. Big fan of the air talent on Underground garage. Although I grew up with Kid Leo, it may be nostalgia.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 am

How do ya'll stand they audio quality? - It's that sounds like listening to something through blades of a slow turning fan.

Plus the high frequencies are not only synthetic - but they are bursts of noise.

Sort of like short bursts of air from a air gun in a tire shop. :rolleyes

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Steve Dirksen

Post by Steve Dirksen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:33 am

My ears were shot years ago. and i am in my car. and what's offered "over the air" today is an embarrassment.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:52 pm

audiophile wrote:How do ya'll stand they audio quality? - It's that sounds like listening to something through blades of a slow turning fan.

Plus the high frequencies are not only synthetic - but they are bursts of noise.

Sort of like short bursts of air from a air gun in a tire shop. :rolleyes

Years of working in a noisy plant left me with significant hearing damage. My whole world sounds like a cheap radio. So I listen now mainly for the content, not the audio fidelity.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic