Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Relevant Radio expanding into Dayton-Cincinnati

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
CurlyHoward

Re: Relevant Radio expanding into Dayton-Cincinnati

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:49 pm

That's a long time ago now, though. WIOT was still decent for a few years later when Grizzly was still there and playing metal at midnight. But then the bean counters, Andy Stuart, Brian Wilson, Andrew Z, etc. ruined both clusters and now Toledo radio makes North Korean state media look listenable.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:12 pm

As an avid CHR/AC listener at the time, I thought Toledo's stations in those formats easily beat the socks off their Detroit counterparts. I used to DX WVKS and WTWR from Macomb County when Detroit had no mainstream CHR. WRVF had the tagline "Soft Hit Music" and an interesting lineup of specialty shows, including the weeknight Quiet Storm with Kim Carson, the Sunday morning Jazz show, and Quiet Music with Nick Francis (an ambient/piano/new age show on Sunday nights). 3WM/Star 105 was a fairly listenable Hot AC before it lost its way. Then there was Fremont's WFRO, an easy listen across all of southeast MI at that time thanks to the AM 900 signal. I had a preset for AM 900 when I lived in Saline.
Ah, the memories.

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:53 am

I remember Smooth Jazz on 900am WFRO on Sundays back in the early 2000s.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:48 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:12 pm
As an avid CHR/AC listener at the time, I thought Toledo's stations in those formats easily beat the socks off their Detroit counterparts. I used to DX WVKS and WTWR from Macomb County when Detroit had no mainstream CHR. WRVF had the tagline "Soft Hit Music" and an interesting lineup of specialty shows, including the weeknight Quiet Storm with Kim Carson, the Sunday morning Jazz show, and Quiet Music with Nick Francis (an ambient/piano/new age show on Sunday nights). 3WM/Star 105 was a fairly listenable Hot AC before it lost its way. Then there was Fremont's WFRO, an easy listen across all of southeast MI at that time thanks to the AM 900 signal. I had a preset for AM 900 when I lived in Saline.
Ah, the memories.
Yeah, I heard an aircheck of the Quiet Storm on YT from 1998. It was great. It had a nice laid-back imaging voice and jingle package. The Jazz Brunch with Suzanne Carrol was a staple on the River until she retired due to MS 10 years ago. Don't really remember Quiet Music. What did Star 105 sound like in the late 90's?

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:50 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:49 pm
That's a long time ago now, though. WIOT was still decent for a few years later when Grizzly was still there and playing metal at midnight. But then the bean counters, Andy Stuart, Brian Wilson, Andrew Z, etc. ruined both clusters and now Toledo radio makes North Korean state media look listenable.
I liked WIOT from late 2011 to Thanksgiving 2012. They played great new music, but still played some great classics and grunge as well. It stunk that corporate dumped High Voltage.

Deleted User 16093

Post by Deleted User 16093 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:04 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:48 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Ah, the memories.
Yeah, I heard an aircheck of the Quiet Storm on YT from 1998. It was great. It had a nice laid-back imaging voice and jingle package. The Jazz Brunch with Suzanne Carrol was a staple on the River until she retired due to MS 10 years ago. Don't really remember Quiet Music. What did Star 105 sound like in the late 90's?
105.5 was 3WM until late 97 I believe? I remember The River running a thing welcoming former 3WM listeners. This was around the time Cumulus took over and a little bit later WXKR changed back to classic rock.

Star 105 played a lot of 1980s music with some newer stuff. I recall Eagle eye Cherry, Matchbox 20, and boy bands being played. Along with 80s stuff like Genesis, Madonna, other 80s music staples. Star's ratings were pretty good too. 4 shares quite a bit. They went through morning shows like Clorox wipes. Mike and Kerri I think was one. I had a Star 105 Key Chain at one point.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:22 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:48 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Ah, the memories.
Star 105 was a pretty standard sounding Hot AC, but not the unfocused mess it would become in subsequent decades. Though they did have Delilah at night for a time, which not only didn't quite fit the format but couldn't hold a candle to the Quiet Storm. They also were the original home of the Friday Night '80s franchise, until they dropped it and 101.5 picked it up.
One thing I liked about the Quiet Storm on 101.5 was that the playlist seemed to be wide open - it almost sounded like a hybrid of Mainstream AC and Urban AC at times, and they'd play a lot of album cuts that weren't released as singles. Almost like a free-form Soft AC. I sure miss that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic