Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NBC 24 Ending News Operations

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
billmich88888

Re: NBC 24 Ending News Operations

Post by billmich88888 » Tue May 09, 2023 11:55 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:24 pm
FOX has great sports programming (especially in Big Ten country) but has been a distant also-ran to CBS and NBC in primetime for years, doesn't offer network news, and doesn't offer any meaningful daytime programming.

Therefore, if I were WUPW, I might be tempted to try to pry NBC from WNWO.

Of note, beginning this fall, FOX's share of Big Ten telecasts will be diminished as NBC and CBS will each begin airing some Big Ten product.

I wonder who bills more - WUPW or WNWO?
incorrect, Fox's share of Big 10 remains the same, NBC and CBS are divvying up what used to be on ABC/ESPN.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed May 10, 2023 1:39 pm

A WUPW NBC affiliation wouldn't be bad, maybe move the FOX and current WUPW syndicated programming to a .2 subchannel. The thing is, WUPW is under WTOL's control for news, which would now mean that WTOL would produce 3 out of Toledo's 4 news operations. I wonder if the FCC would allow that?

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed May 10, 2023 10:30 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:39 pm
WUPW is under WTOL's control for news, which would now mean that WTOL would produce 3 out of Toledo's 4 news operations. I wonder if the FCC would allow that?
As Sinclair has taken WNWO out of the local news picture, there's already only two organizations with news, WTVG (ABC) and WTOL (CBS / Fox). If NBC gets picked up by WTOL or WUPW (or even WTVG), there still would be only two news organizations.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed May 10, 2023 10:40 pm

A WUPW NBC affiliation wouldn't be bad, maybe move the FOX and current WUPW syndicated programming to a .2 subchannel. The thing is, WUPW is under WTOL's control for news, which would now mean that WTOL would produce 3 out of Toledo's 4 news operations. I wonder if the FCC would allow that?
uh...are you familiar at all with the post-Telecom Act of 1996 FCC? they're here to protect America from Janet Jackson's nipple or the word "shit" in Steve Miller's lyrics from 1974, not from monopolies.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 11, 2023 7:21 am

incorrect, Fox's share of Big 10 remains the same, NBC and CBS are divvying up what used to be on ABC/ESPN.
I thank you for the correction and for the info.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Thu May 11, 2023 12:56 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:21 am
I thank you for the correction and for the info.
i follow this guy and he knows all the working of college sports and TV broadcasting.

https://mattsarzsports.com/

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat May 13, 2023 1:24 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:30 pm
WUPW is under WTOL's control for news, which would now mean that WTOL would produce 3 out of Toledo's 4 news operations. I wonder if the FCC would allow that?
As Sinclair has taken WNWO out of the local news picture, there's already only two organizations with news, WTVG (ABC) and WTOL (CBS / Fox). If NBC gets picked up by WTOL or WUPW (or even WTVG), there still would be only two news organizations.
I'm now leaning towards WUPW buying WNWO if they wanted. Put NBC programming and WNWO's syndicated shows on 36.1 and move the FOX programming and WUPW's current syndicated shows on 36.2, just like in small markets. This probably won't happen though. I wonder how WTVG or WTOL/WNWO would handle news personalities on an NBC station though.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat May 13, 2023 2:29 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:22 pm
Plate Cap wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 pm
I even got into a rather pointless discussion with a young friend who decried the need for cable since "we just stream over wifi". She was not able to understand that her "wifi' got to her home via cable.
That's all a bit more confusing now, with T-Mobile's home service, basically a "hot spot" which picks up internet services through their 5G data network (instead via cable) and then redistributes it in your home as conventional wi-fi. I know folks to whom "wireless" of any kind, even on their phone, is always just "wi-fi."
Plus they're all OTA services from the cell tower or router hub. Granted ATSC 1.0 is a one-way platform, but the interactive component is upgrading with the advent of ATSC 3.0. Time will tell, although the potential certainly exists to make broadcast stations competitive with broadband providers and internet platforms in terms of content delivery.
Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic