Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

RIP Gary Shores

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
CurlyHoward

RIP Gary Shores

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:45 pm

armchair pd

Re: RIP Gary Shores

Post by armchair pd » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:19 am

Terrible news. I've know Gary for many years.
RIP

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:33 pm

Gary was an amazing talent and one of the nicest people I've met. I visited the Cumulus Toledo Studios in 2015 and met both him and Harvey. Such class acts who were both impressed by my knowledge of Toledo radio. Shores and Steele are definitely one of the best, if not the best, radio duos in Toledo radio history. I'm sure they're putting on radio magic in the sky right now. I know he's been suffering for a few years now but now he's free from his pain. R.I.P. Gary. You will be dearly missed.

On today's morning show, Lyn and Marco were sharing memories of Gary and Harvey and looked at social media comments, and had a few callers too. They also ran some of the old Shores and Steele imaging beds. K100 said they're going to have a full day of remembrance at a date TBD.

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:06 pm

Whoever is running the show at K100 should be ashamed of how they're handling this currently. Gary was the most recognizable Toledo personality in the last 2 decades, possibly more. The only one who is as recognizable is maybe Diane Larson from 13 or Jerry Anderson. Today probably wasn't the day for the dumbass Johnny D question of the day on Facebook or maybe a tribute on the website would be nice with a few old clips from S&S, or maybe some videos that are readily available on youtube until a larger tribute is produced . Literally zero mention of Gary on the website. That aside, Lyn did an amazing job speaking of Gary both on air and in the video on Facebook.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:45 pm

burytheneedle wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:06 pm
Whoever is running the show at K100 should be ashamed of how they're handling this currently. Gary was the most recognizable Toledo personality in the last 2 decades, possibly more. The only one who is as recognizable is maybe Diane Larson from 13 or Jerry Anderson. Today probably wasn't the day for the dumbass Johnny D question of the day on Facebook or maybe a tribute on the website would be nice with a few old clips from S&S, or maybe some videos that are readily available on youtube until a larger tribute is produced . Literally zero mention of Gary on the website. That aside, Lyn did an amazing job speaking of Gary both on air and in the video on Facebook.
The radio side has been doing OK to very good today, but the web side is severely lacking. Then again, most of Cumulus's sites aren't the greatest these days. They were much better at being up-to-date years ago.

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:05 am

London Mitchell and Cliff Smithers paid tribute to Gary this morning on River Rat Country internet radio.

Here's the audio: https://www.podbean.com/ep/pb-fvz7m-139e4f6

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:07 pm

burytheneedle wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:05 am
London Mitchell and Cliff Smithers paid tribute to Gary this morning on River Rat Country internet radio.

Here's the audio: https://www.podbean.com/ep/pb-fvz7m-139e4f6
That was a great tribute they did.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:03 pm

Over the weekend, Gary's estate sale happened at his old house. I picked up an old K100 bumper sticker from the 1980s, a couple of binders of K100 promotional material from 2003, which highlight how local the station was back then and its charity work, a 2002 Blade article about S&S's county fair tours introducing country acts and meeting their listeners, an S&S water bottle with the Who's Your Daddy slogan and the K100 logo, Gary's name tag used for special events K100 was involved in and Detroit radio legend Lee Alan's book Turn Your Radio On, which Lee signed to Gary. Just a way to keep both Gary and Harvey's legacies alive.

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:48 am

Oh wow, I wish I knew about this! Someone posted a bunch of his stuff on ebay. Would have been great to put together a S&S tribute in our studio.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:21 pm

burytheneedle wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:48 am
Oh wow, I wish I knew about this! Someone posted a bunch of his stuff on ebay. Would have been great to put together a S&S tribute in our studio.
Yes. It just feels sad nowadays as K100 doesn't have the same local feel as it did 20 years ago. An entirely live and local staff from 5 AM to midnight, and great part-time weekend jocks like the late Jeff Shetzer, plus all that charity work, and great segments like Lost Oldie Trivia, Gas Watch, and even Shores and Steele doing a local countdown show on Sunday Mornings which Cumulus eventually replaced with their nationally syndicated offerings. I'm glad they still have their longtime logo though, which many corporate owners now have the same style for different formats.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic