Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

T-Town radio predictions 2023

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 15835

Re: T-Town radio predictions 2023

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:49 pm

Strong Tower Radio purchase's the 103.3 Translator from Fusion. Don't know how I came up with this but I'll throw it in the mix.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:52 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:49 pm
Strong Tower Radio purchase's the 103.3 Translator from Fusion. Don't know how I came up with this but I'll throw it in the mix.
The only thing crazier would be WMTR buying the 103.3 translator, leasing an HD subchannel, and running a simulcast of 96.1 (including the Tigers) on it (both the leased HD subchannel and 103.3).

Since it's above 91.9, I think Strong Tower would have to lease an HD subchannel in order to feed 103.3 if they were to buy it.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:48 pm

Or run direct feed from there main station, much like other religious or other translator stations do. Likely would have to lease a HD channel from someone.

WMTR, hmm? They already have a HD-2 station broadcasting country, targeting Wauseon on 94.3fm. Ya never know..

Still, if Fusion sold 1520am, who's to say they wouldn't spin off 103.3 if/when this whole Party thing implodes. We shall see.

schmave

Post by schmave » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:52 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:52 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
The only thing crazier would be WMTR buying the 103.3 translator, leasing an HD subchannel, and running a simulcast of 96.1 (including the Tigers) on it (both the leased HD subchannel and 103.3).

Since it's above 91.9, I think Strong Tower would have to lease an HD subchannel in order to feed 103.3 if they were to buy it.
It might sound outlandish for WMTR to do that, but such a thing is probably the only way the Tigers radio issue is ever solved in Toledo unless WMTR decides to give up the ridiculous territorial stranglehold.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:02 pm

schmave wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:52 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:52 pm
Riff Raff wrote:

It might sound outlandish for WMTR to do that, but such a thing is probably the only way the Tigers radio issue is ever solved in Toledo unless WMTR decides to give up the ridiculous territorial stranglehold.
It is an interesting theory, not that it's targeting Toledo in any way, WMTR's signal fades out around Maumee/South Toledo. But yeah, that would be the only way to get the tigers on T-Town radio. The only reason Strong Tower Radio came to mind was because Seventh Day Adventist was the only religious sect not on Toledo radio. :razz

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:13 am

why would WMTR buy a signal to serve Toledo? they do fine serving Archbold/Wauseon/etc.

people mad that the Tigers aren't on Toledo radio should blame the Tigers and MLB, not WMTR. If you're going to preempt your format 162 times a year you want guarantees to have as many listeners as possible.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:27 pm

I love the phony coverage map in WMTR's website.

I more or less agree with Curly.

The Tigers stink, and most people who regularly listen to baseball on terrestrial radio are over the age of 55. No station of any significance would want Tigers baseball right now, especially in a market where MLB team allegiance is split.

If WMTR were to dump them, there definitely is no guarantee someone in Toledo would want to carry the games. Don't forget, either, that Detroit's 97.1 might have clauses protecting itself from another FM station offering Tigers baseball within its service area.

The most recent station in Toledo who carried Tigers baseball wound up leaving the airwaves permanently. The cash must've been rolling in! With a great track record like that, who wouldn't want to hop onto the Tigers baseball bandwagon? 🤪

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am

The only two Toledo stations that would even make sense as a home for the Tigers are the two sports stations. Even if the signals didn't overlap with 96.1 in the south and west parts of metro Toledo, iheart probably prefers getting paid to air the Mud Hens and Walleye on 1230, and the Ticket has just been pretty much a 24/7 ESPN clearinghouse with OSU and Lions then Browns football mixed in for many years now.

and of course, MLB could pretty much render all of this moot by doing what the NHL does and giving away its radio audio for free on its apps and website. But they choose to continue charging.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:21 pm

I strongly suspect some stations don't blackout online streams as they are required to do during MLB broadcasts.

SXM has all broadcasts available on all of its apps and on the bird (accessible so long as a subscriber has a package that includes sports). I pay about $6 a month, fees and tax included, and I get every single channel for that price. They always give me the promo rate if I call to threaten to cancel.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:17 am

Can we get the Mud Hens on the radio up north here?

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:54 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:17 am
Possibly on IHeart but not any station up in Michigan.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:58 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:27 pm
I love the phony coverage map in WMTR's website.

I more or less agree with Curly.

The Tigers stink, and most people who regularly listen to baseball on terrestrial radio are over the age of 55. No station of any significance would want Tigers baseball right now, especially in a market where MLB team allegiance is split.

If WMTR were to dump them, there definitely is no guarantee someone in Toledo would want to carry the games. Don't forget, either, that Detroit's 97.1 might have clauses protecting itself from another FM station offering Tigers baseball within its service area.

The most recent station in Toledo who carried Tigers baseball wound up leaving the airwaves permanently. The cash must've been rolling in! With a great track record like that, who wouldn't want to hop onto the Tigers baseball bandwagon? 🤪
WMTR's website hasn't been updated in at least 10 years.

Knowing how bad the Detroit sports teams have been these past few years, only diehards would probably listen. If any of them have a winning season, it would probably be a good idea to bring whatever team that's winning back to the Toledo airwaves.

edj

Post by edj » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:25 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:17 am
The team won’t pay to air on a Detroit station, and even if they did I’m not sure the Tigers would allow it. At one time they did have the games on WFOB Fostoria along with the now defunct 1470. I can’t remember when they switched to CWA.

CWA barely makes it to Monroe during the day and even that is a stretch at times.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:15 am

I think it was 2008 or 2009 when the Hens switched to WCWA. Back before that, the controversy about the Tigers on Toledo radio was that both the Hens and Tigers were on 1470 and the Hens had priority when both played at the same time, even after the Tigers became very good starting in 2006. So at the time people were happy to have the Hens off of 1470.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:56 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:27 pm

1470 leaving the air had more to do with the Dickey Bros owning the property, and charging Cumulus outrageous rent. Once Lew Jr and John were broomed off the board, it was a logical place to cut the budget. Rebuilding at another site didn't make any economic sense to the new suits in charge at Cumulus.

You have to wonder, how much money could the Tigers realistically bring in? What local Toledo businesses would sponsor them?

When I worked for Reams at WIOT/WCWA we carried "Major league baseball" I believe from Westwood One. That required a board-op on duty on WCWA, often on the weekends, and late into the night for the west coast games. I don't think we made a dime on any of that, for all of the effort required.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic