Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CKLW Big 8 Radio Reunion and Fan Fest

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
blizzard

Post by blizzard » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:07 pm

The official unveiling of the Rosalie Trombley statue in Windsor is on Monday Sept. 18, 2023.
I am happy to announce we are planning a H*** CKLW Big 8 Radio Reunion and Fan Fest in Windsor on SUNDAY Sept. 17, 2023 at the St. Clair Centre for The Arts - Skyline Room A - 10am-3pm.
FREE ADMISSION and OPEN TO ALL CKLW RADIO ALUMNI AND CK RADIO FANS.
Hotels are just steps away from the venue right on the scenic riverfront. Plenty of time to get in early Saturday for dinner gatherings and stay if possible for Monday's ceremony.
Come out and mingle, chat and get photos.
More to come!
:hat

blizzard

Re: CKLW Big 8 Radio Reunion and Fan Fest

Post by blizzard » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:15 pm

A lot of details are getting firmed up now for the upcoming unveiling of the life size bronze statue of CKLW Music Director and industry pioneer Rosalie Trombley.
The date and time is set for the public ceremony of the unveiling of the bronze by local artist Donna Mayne in downtown Windsor.
Date: Sunday Sept. 17th, 2023
Time Morning time - TBA
The Big 8 CKLW Reunion will follow immediately following the ceremony at the St. Clair Centre for The Arts in Skyline Ballroom A. 201 Riverside Dr. W. - a short walk from Rosalie's statue.
The reunion is open to all radio fans and former staffers to mingle, meet and greet and get photos. It will be a casual gathering with no itinerary - or background music etc. Time to chat and tell some stories and remember Rosalie Trombley. The event is free - thanks to our friends at St. Clair College Centre for The Arts.
The Chimczuk Museum located inside the Art Windsor Essex (formerly the Art Gallery Of Windsor) building at 401 Riverside Dr. W. will be featuring a several month's long gallery display honouring Rosalie Trombley featuring personal mementos, gold record awards and audio visual elements. The display expected to open Sunday Sept. 17th at 2:30pm and be open daily during regular Museum hours.
Plan to attend the Celebrations! Sunday Sept. 17th in Downtown Windsor!!
Please note: Open Streets Windsor is also on Sept 17 and some downtown cross streets may be closed for a time.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:40 am

Im going to try to attend this event honoring Rosalie it sounds like fun. My son just bought me offline a black t shirt that says The Big 8 with the ck logo and below Motorcity Rock I will be wearing it.

Thx for the info........I wonder if the crtc will be represented???? LOL !!!!

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:37 am

In 1966, there was a huqe Parade insert on Detroit Radio, and it included interviews with people at CKLW. I remember them talking about censorship of records, and how CKLW got the record company to release a censored version of "Rhapsody In The Rain" by Lou Christie. They also talked about the music library and someone named Cathy, who headed up the music library in 1966, and who removed the promo copies of songs they regarded as not being hit material on a certain day of the week. Does anyone else remember anything about Cathy? Wish I could find that. I'll ask the head of worldradiohistory.com if he has it on his site or if he could find that insert and put it on the site. The insert was very complete and informative. There was a similar insert about Chicago Radio in the Chicago Tribune circa 1980, and I think that's on there.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:50 pm

Here's a link to ex Big8 jock Pat Holidays youtube page called Pat Holidays Radio Academy with a tribute to Rosalie last year after she had passed. Very interesting story about radio in the Motorcity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQe9nJ0ojj0&t=1007s

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

schmave

Post by schmave » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:10 pm

Thanks for posting Windsor. Love reading and hearing these stories of yesteryear.
That old CKLW tribute site was particularly fascinating in that respect.

dennis10

Post by dennis10 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:50 pm

I met Rosalie when I was just getting started in radio around 1973. Drove to Windsor from Toledo, she was very kind, and gave me a full tour of CKLW. Looking back, how cool was that? I came unannounced that day, and she took the time. That was quite a place to see! Dennis Williams WAKT 106.1 FM Toledo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic