Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

105.5 WQQO Toledo

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Ben Zonia

Re: 105.5 WQQO Toledo

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:57 pm

It seems bizarre to me that the only Urban format in Toledo is an HD-2, and that it is #7 in the ratings, with a 3.5.

The Demographics may be somewhat different, but Cumulus' WDZZ Flint is usually #1 or less often #2. But Toledo is much larger, and the Urban population is nearly the same. WDZZ has a near center city transmitter location, as does Cumulus' WQQO.

Like Grand Rapids, doesn't it seem that the Urban population is underserved in Toledo? Wouldn't it seem that 105.5 Toledo could do better with an Urban format, and exceed the HD-2 ratings of WVKS HD-2, even with a 99 watt, 123 meter HAAT translator? The penetration of HD receivers and even with the limited 99 watt translator, can't be enough to maximize the format performance. When WDZZ signed on, it rocketed to the top by the first book, and forced long standing Urban formatted WAMM 1420 to change formats a little over a year later.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:22 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:57 pm
It seems bizarre to me that the only Urban format in Toledo is an HD-2, and that it is #7 in the ratings, with a 3.5.

The Demographics may be somewhat different, but Cumulus' WDZZ Flint is usually #1 or less often #2. But Toledo is much larger, and the Urban population is nearly the same. WDZZ has a near center city transmitter location, as does Cumulus' WQQO.

Like Grand Rapids, doesn't it seem that the Urban population is underserved in Toledo? Wouldn't it seem that 105.5 Toledo could do better with an Urban format, and exceed the HD-2 ratings of WVKS HD-2, even with a 99 watt, 123 meter HAAT translator? The penetration of HD receivers and even with the limited 99 watt translator, can't be enough to maximize the format performance. When WDZZ signed on, it rocketed to the top by the first book, and forced long standing Urban formatted WAMM 1420 to change formats a little over a year later.
95.7 has been Urban AC for many years. There's also 107.3 WJUC The Juice.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:32 pm

Apparently they don't subscribe to Neilsen then? Still amazing about the the HD-2 and 99 watt translator doing that well.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb097

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:43 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:22 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:57 pm

95.7 has been Urban AC for many years. There's also 107.3 WJUC The Juice.
And Hot 97.3, which is 95.7's sister station.
There still remains a hole for a Gospel/Urban Inspirational format, which isn't likely to be filled since it skews older. It would be a nice alternative to the vanilla praise and worship choruses on K-Love, WPOS and the WBCL drones. At least Yes FM caters to the Christian Rhythmic/Holy Hip Hop crowd.

WJLB often showed as high as the high 1's/low 2's in the Toledo ratings in the mid-'90s, during the period between 1520 WVOI going Gospel and the launch of WJUC. WHYT during its Churban period of 1992-94 also often showed up.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:44 pm

Yup, Toledo has four stations that primarily play African American artists, three of which are full power analog FM signals (as opposed to translators).

The reason WJZE, WJUC and WIMX do not appear in the publicly published 12+ ratings is because they do not subscribe.

Years ago when those stations' results were published, WIMX usually scored around a 4.5 share, WJZE around a 3 share, and WJUC around a 2.5 share. 94.9 didn't take to the airwaves until a number of years later; that station seems to be doing quite well.

WJUC has the weakest signal in Toledo proper of the four stations.

I do agree with Ben Zonia regarding the Urban radio options in Grand Rapids, MI. They're better than they once were, though. It'd be nice if the Urban AC were on a better signal than 102.5 FM there.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:10 pm

None of those stations put a 70 dBu signal into central Toledo, except for the translator for the HD-2. It would be helpful to know what the actual ratings of those rimshot stations are.

In all the years that WWWS 107.1 Saginaw tried to beat WAMM 1420, they never did. It wasn't until there was a 70 dBu signal over all of Flint with an Urban format with WDZZ, that WAMM had to give up.

-Author Unknown

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:23 pm

I feel like either WRQN needs to increase the playlist, maybe add more 70's or 80's singer songwriter songs, and dump any of the hard rock that WXKR has played for years already. Some of the softer/poppier songs by those artists, like Bon Jovi's "I"ll be There for You", or Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing". Any of the rock with screaming guitars and screaming vocals should be on XKR only, where it fits the format and presentation better. I was shocked when I heard ZZ Top's "La Grange" on 93.5 in regular daytime rotation a few months ago.

I've also noticed more 90's hits are starting to be played as well on 93.5.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:44 pm
Yup, Toledo has four stations that primarily play African American artists, three of which are full power analog FM signals (as opposed to translators).

The reason WJZE, WJUC and WIMX do not appear in the publicly published 12+ ratings is because they do not subscribe.

Years ago when those stations' results were published, WIMX usually scored around a 4.5 share, WJZE around a 3 share, and WJUC around a 2.5 share. 94.9 didn't take to the airwaves until a number of years later; that station seems to be doing quite well.

I do agree with Ben Zonia regarding the Urban radio options in Grand Rapids, MI. They're better than they once were, though. It'd be nice if the Urban AC were on a better signal than 102.5 FM there.
The weirdest thing in all of this, is, in Toledo's city limits, where the urban formats have the best chance of reaching the desired audience, 94.9 the Beat has the best signal. 95.7, 97.3 and 107.3, all have trouble on certain radios in the city with reception issues due to their small ERP'S (3000 to 4000 watts) and the fact that all of their transmitters are all away from the metro area (95.7' and 97.3"s are both in Woodville, and 107.3's is in Swanton).

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:16 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:28 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:44 pm

The weirdest thing in all of this, is, in Toledo's city limits, where the urban formats have the best chance of reaching the desired audience, 94.9 the Beat has the best signal. 95.7, 97.3 and 107.3, all have trouble on certain radios in the city with reception issues due to their small ERP'S (3000 to 4000 watts) and the fact that all of their transmitters are all away from the metro area (95.7' and 97.3"s are both in Woodville, and 107.3's is in Swanton).
Your comment illustrates my earlier points perfectly. 94.9 is a 99 watt TRANSLATOR, which puts a 70 dBu contour over a large part of the Urban listening audience, because it is near the center of Toledo. The rest of the three are "rimshots" barely reaching central Toledo with 60 dBu signals more suited to rural communities.

This was the result of Docket 80-90 and later additions, which also required the most new stations to provide FIRST LOCAL SERVICE to very small Communities, and can't move close enough to serve Toledo and other similar cities well. The FCC and competing local stations have prevented many stations from "moving in" to such cities, because they don't want new competition. They could care less about rural communities getting stations, because they don't really compete with their stations. That's why I suggested 105.5 go to an Urban format. It would maximize the format in the larger community. Sylvania was always the COL of 105.5, but Sylvania was close enough to move the transmitter to the larger community and still put a 70 dBu signal over Sylvania. With more flexible rules, like Canada has, you could probably move at least one of the rimshots close enough to make it much more competitive.

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:29 pm

Scramble_Ramble wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:40 pm
Once again, Atlanta does not care what folks here think should go on what stations- or the reasons you think what you think. Did nobody read my comment above? Stop dreaming and get into reality.

So sexy to see someone think 1971! Who needs computers, cellphones, convection cookers, HDTV, Fox, CW and anything past 1971, including modern rock?
Your comment was duly noted. We will take it "under advisement". You can't say the comments weren't factually correct, you can only say that large corporate owners won't listen to logic.

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:41 pm

Scramble_Ramble wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:40 pm
Once again, Atlanta does not care what folks here think should go on what stations- or the reasons you think what you think. Did nobody read my comment above? Stop dreaming and get into reality.

So sexy to see someone think 1971! Who needs computers, cellphones, convection cookers, HDTV, Fox, CW and anything past 1971, including modern rock?
What's your solution? Paid Infomercials in prime time? Welcome to the buzzboard, Mike Wheeler! :rollin

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:41 am

If Cumulus is insistent on having a very female friendly station in its local cluster, here's what they need to do to 105.5:
- Go a different route in mornings
- Bring back the "Star 105" brand name
- Flip to an upbeat AC or retro hits format that is centered in the 90's and 00's (a few 80's songs and a few newer songs can be included, too)
- Bring back the Pat Garrett voiceovers

In other words, return the station to the sound it had before John Dickey and Jan Jefferies ruined everything many years ago.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:50 pm

Hmm? Mix 95.7 has never had any competition and from what I know, the station is usually pretty highly ranked. Could 105.5 flip to Urban AC, while retaining The Q105 name?

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:45 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:50 pm
Hmm? Mix 95.7 has never had any competition and from what I know, the station is usually pretty highly ranked. Could 105.5 flip to Urban AC, while retaining The Q105 name?
Cumulus owns several Urban AC's and they could still target a female audience, so it's possible.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:02 am

Not gonna happen! Adult CHR/Hot AC would be missing, if they tried anything anyhow. The conservative moms would go to 101.5. Urban would be too saturated within the market area between Toledo and Detroit.
I agree with this. Toledo has enough Urban Contemporary / Adult Urban stations. Those stations primarily appeal to a segment that represents less than 15% of the market's population and whose earning strength isn't great.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic