Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Holiday Weekend format changes

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Marcus

Holiday Weekend format changes

Post by Marcus » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm

I decided to post this here because it doesn't look like any of the current PPM measured radio stations in Detroit are going to change anytime soon. The only station stations I'd watch in that market right now are the Birach owned AM stations.

In Ontario I'll be keeping an eye on 88.7 CIMX-FM from Windsor (Bell Media's Loser).

In Ohio I'd be curious to see if Cumulus will keep 98.3 Nash Icon or change it. They are WMIM. I'll give them some credit for actually playing older Country music rather than trying to be the same as three other stations as the case is with Bell Media's Windsor Country station. With this said, they do not have strong ratings. This might be due to the fact that Nash Icon isn't quite classic enough for some listeners.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Holiday Weekend format changes

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:23 pm

Rogers is making a change in Vancouver.

I am not expecting any changes in Detroit, Toledo or Windsor with regard to analog FM or major AM formats.

I'd be surprised if Bell were to throw in the towel on Pure Country 89 so soon. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they wind up replacing Bobby Bones with a local morning show before 2022 ends.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:59 pm

Thanks for pointing out the Vancouver station. It turns out it's at www.kissradio.ca and the Vancouver transmitter is at 104.9 FM. It simulcasts a Chilliwack signal in much the same way that Cool FM rebroadcasts into Windsor.

Active Rock is a possibility as one of the FM Corus Rock stations is Classic Rock and 99.3 The Fox is considered Alternative. I'm not as familiar with Vancouver radio as I am some other cities, so I am not sure on this. Something else could end up happening.

Rogers currently Sportsnet 650 AM and an All News on 1130 AM. On FM there is Jack FM (96.9) with Adult Hits

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:00 pm

Perhaps a return of the XFM brand to 104.9 MHz in Vancouver?

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comm ... tive_rock/

CFOX was Active Rock for a while. I wonder when they made the pivot to Alternative?

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:42 am

The last time Toledo had a format change was when 100.7 flipped to the Ticket and 106.5 was sold to a Christian talk outlet in May of last year. The Christian talk station is now being simulcast on 1520.

WMIM's ratings are so-so in Toledo. I'm not sure how well they currently do in the main city they target in Monroe. I think they were once #1 there.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:15 pm

The Vancouver station is now known as Sonic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKKS-FM

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:34 pm

Marcus wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:41 pm
I decided to post this here because it doesn't look like any of the current PPM measured radio stations in Detroit are going to change anytime soon. The only station stations I'd watch in that market right now are the Birach owned AM stations.

In Ontario I'll be keeping an eye on 88.7 CIMX-FM from Windsor (Bell Media's Loser).

In Ohio I'd be curious to see if Cumulus will keep 98.3 Nash Icon or change it. They are WMIM. I'll give them some credit for actually playing older Country music rather than trying to be the same as three other stations as the case is with Bell Media's Windsor Country station. With this said, they do not have strong ratings. This might be due to the fact that Nash Icon isn't quite classic enough for some listeners.
"Not quite classic enough" is putting it mildly. Niko Moon's "Good Time" doesn't belong anywhere near a station that claims to play "the music that made country great." Leave the Drake wannabes to K100.
WCKY-FM has Bobby Bones and a more typical iHeart tight playlist, but at least one can listen without hearing music that sounds like it belongs more on Kiss, Q, Hot, Beat or Juice.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:19 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:34 pm
Marcus wrote:

"Not quite classic enough" is putting it mildly. Niko Moon's "Good Time" doesn't belong anywhere near a station that claims to play "the music that made country great." Leave the Drake wannabes to K100.
WCKY-FM has Bobby Bones and a more typical iHeart tight playlist, but at least one can listen without hearing music that sounds like it belongs more on Kiss, Q, Hot, Beat or Juice.
That's why 103.7 is slightly my preferred choice.

I noticed that 98.3 also advertises itself as "the best of today" so it's almost a country AC.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:21 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:19 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I noticed that 98.3 also advertises itself as "the best of today" so it's almost a country AC.
There's plenty of more country-sounding current/recent music 98.3 could be playing instead but isn't. I'm thinking Lainey Wilson "Things a Man Oughta Know," Carly Pearce & Ashley McBryde "Never Wanted to Be That Girl," Ernest feat. (as much as I dislike him) Morgan Wallen "Flower Shops." Drake wannabes are not "the best of today." LOL
I'm just glad I live within listening range of 94.1 Duke FM. No Bobby Bones there!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:32 pm

I can't see why a Canadian station would use an American holiday weekend to change formats.

I can see why, however, they would change formats because the station fucking SUCKS.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 pm

July First is Canada Day which is why the Vancouver switch from Kiss to Sonic was made just in time for the long weekend.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:45 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:21 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:19 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

There's plenty of more country-sounding current/recent music 98.3 could be playing instead but isn't. I'm thinking Lainey Wilson "Things a Man Oughta Know," Carly Pearce & Ashley McBryde "Never Wanted to Be That Girl," Ernest feat. (as much as I dislike him) Morgan Wallen "Flower Shops." Drake wannabes are not "the best of today." LOL
I'm just glad I live within listening range of 94.1 Duke FM. No Bobby Bones there!
I think I've heard Lainey's song on 98.3. I don't believe I've heard the other 2.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:18 pm

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 pm
July First is Canada Day which is why the Vancouver switch from Kiss to Sonic was made just in time for the long weekend.
I didn't think about that! Good call!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:22 am

There is not enough room in that market for a middle of the fairway Alternative station. CFOX 99.3 and 102.7 The Peak have that territory fully covered. Musically, this station is highly similar to 102.7.

CFOX is more of a hybrid, as it mixes in some vintage rock staples and a handful of contemporary hard rock artists, too. Think FM96 London, but with more of an alternative lean.

So, I'm a bit baffled by this move. This station is trying to fill a void that is non-existent.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:31 pm

And the plot thickens... 102.7 The Peak is flipping. Sounds like a Hot AC format is coming along the lines of their sister stations in Calgary (101.5 Today), Winnipeg (94.3 Now) and Edmonton (102.3 Now).

In an even more interesting move, Durham is also reviving its Hamilton-based "Wave" Smooth Jazz/Soft AC format in Vancouver.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2326 ... vancouver/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic