Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MLB on Toledo radio-YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
CurlyHoward

MLB on Toledo radio-YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!

Post by CurlyHoward » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:04 pm

Remember eight years ago when the Tigers, Indians, and Reds all aired on Toledo radio in addition to the Mud Hens?

and then there were none. Tried to listen to the Tri...er Guardians game just now in the car and WSPD was running the Hens on both signals. I thought maybe Cleveland would be on 1230, but they were running betting tips for tonight's UFC card. at least I can get 96.1 for the Tigers where I live, on the one station in northwest Ohio that isn't owned by the conglomerates cutting everything to the bone in the race to the bottom.

I suppose it doesn't matter that much since MLB's app brings you feeds of every game in the majors all season for only $20, but still.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: MLB on Toledo radio-YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 am

Typical iFart...

One would've hoped they'd be smart enough to move the Cleveland games to AM 1230 whenever there is a conflict with the Mud Hens on AM 1370.

Heck, air the Cleveland baseball games on 103.7.

I just pulled up 100.7 The Ticket's web site just for fun. What a shit storm. Clicking on "sports schedule" pulls up a web page bearing the date of August 20, 2020 that is otherwise blank.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:31 pm

I wonder why Hens games are on 1370 on weekends. The opening day match was on 1230.

103.7 used to carry NASCAR Cup races for many years. They dropped those years ago.

I find it ironic since the Guardians flagship stations are both 1100 AM and 100.7 FM, both Iheart owned stations.

100.7 the Ticket's website is a total mess. They still list Mike Miller's Drive Time which no longer airs. The PDF file from 2020 still exists, whose last event is the 2021 Super Bowl. :lol

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:10 pm

They used to put the Indians day games on 1230 while having night/weekend games on 1370/92.9. They didn't want to preempt Rush or Wilson/Sands for baseball. Pretty standard practice, and I assume that's what they're doing with the Hens games now.

The Ticket's Twitter account is barely used and their bio still lists them as being on 106.5. LOL

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:53 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:10 pm
They used to put the Indians day games on 1230 while having night/weekend games on 1370/92.9. They didn't want to preempt Rush or Wilson/Sands for baseball. Pretty standard practice, and I assume that's what they're doing with the Hens games now.

The Ticket's Twitter account is barely used and their bio still lists them as being on 106.5. LOL
I could see why they'd move the day games over to 1230, so that "Dittoheads" could get their Rush fix.

Cumulus doesn't seem to be putting much money in the Ticket. Most of their ad breaks are either PSA'S, promos for their brokered shows/sports events, or just general liners for the station itself.

BASProShop

Post by BASProShop » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:46 pm

Gee, I'm listening to a Cleveland Guardians game on WSPD right now. My guess is they had too many conflicts with other games (Mud Hens, Walleye) and bumped the first few games. This thread is now moot.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:32 pm

Confirmed. It could've been on 103.7 or 94.9, but it seems like a poorly thought out decision to not air the one game on WCWA and preempt the betting show.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:49 am

I don't think the thread is moot at all. Same issue could happen again and likely will happen again.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:30 am

Not to mention that the Tigers still can’t be heard OTA in Toledo. I don’t know if things have changed since I moved from Toledo in 2013, but Toledo decidedly favored the Tigers over the Indians/Guardians.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:03 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:30 am
Not to mention that the Tigers still can’t be heard OTA in Toledo. I don’t know if things have changed since I moved from Toledo in 2013, but Toledo decidedly favored the Tigers over the Indians/Guardians.
There's no Tigers radio affiliate in Toledo unless you count 96.1 in Wauseon.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:14 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:30 am
Could you use a TV antenna to pick up 97.1 Detroit?

schmave

Post by schmave » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:12 pm

If I'm the Tigers, I have to consider stepping in and tell WMTR to pound sand when it comes to claiming the entire Toledo market when they come nowhere close to covering the entire city with a usable signal. It's more listenable the farther west you go, but even when I attended UT in the late 90s, it took being high up in Parks Tower for that signal to be local grade.
WMTR effectively has held Toledo hostage when it comes to the Tigers for ages. The club can't be happy with a lot of their fans being shut out in that important a market. If that situation ever ends, the next question, of course, becomes who takes the games? I would think the Ticket would jump on the Tigers in a flash.
The most unfortunate thing is it looks like WJR will never get the Tigers back, or at least not for many years yet. Even down here in central Ohio, I'd love to be able to hear their games again on a regular radio just as I do the Reds and Guardians.

schmave

Post by schmave » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:18 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 am
Heck, air the Cleveland baseball games on 103.7.
While I think iHeart would be within its rights to do so, I personally don't see that. Some other affiliates, especially the ones in Findlay, Fostoria and Sandusky and maybe even Bucyrus and Marion, might complain that 103.7's big signal would overlap their territory ... the same argument WMTR makes when it comes to the Tigers.
Right now, those areas wouldn't have that same concern with WSPD and definitely not WCWA.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:54 pm

schmave wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:12 pm
If I'm the Tigers, I have to consider stepping in and tell WMTR to pound sand when it comes to claiming the entire Toledo market when they come nowhere close to covering the entire city with a usable signal. It's more listenable the farther west you go, but even when I attended UT in the late 90s, it took being high up in Parks Tower for that signal to be local grade.
WMTR effectively has held Toledo hostage when it comes to the Tigers for ages. The club can't be happy with a lot of their fans being shut out in that important a market. If that situation ever ends, the next question, of course, becomes who takes the games? I would think the Ticket would jump on the Tigers in a flash.
The most unfortunate thing is it looks like WJR will never get the Tigers back, or at least not for many years yet. Even down here in central Ohio, I'd love to be able to hear their games again on a regular radio just as I do the Reds and Guardians.
1470 was apparently the only signal in Toledo that could air the Tigers without stepping on WMTR. 94.5 WXKR, as it rimshots from east of Toledo, might be able to air the Tigers but:
a) It's a music station in a big market
b) 94.5 might get too close to Cleveland (likely not true, as its 54dBu never enters the Cleveland radio market; Sandusky is its own radio market)
c) Fremont, Port Clinton, and Sandusky are almost universally India.. err, Guardians fans

Speaking of contour overlap, WXKR and WXYT have a very slight overlap which is almost entirely over Lake Erie just east of Monroe. WXKR and WMTR overlap over Delta and Swanton.

98.3 WMIM might be able to air the Tigers as well as its contour doesn't overlap with WMTR's at all, but it also fits (a) under why WXKR wouldn't be a good Tigers affiliate and there's a small overlap between WMIM and WXYT over downtown Monroe.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:53 am

WXKR and WMTR overlap further east than Delta and Swanton, at least on car radios. I live where Toledo, Holland, Springfield Twp. and Maumee all come together and I can get both clearly here. I commute to work near UT's main campus and I don't start to lose WMTR at all until about Byrne and Hill usually unless the atmosphere is being weird.

I don't think they'd preempt music for the Tigers 162 times a year on any of the Toledo stations, though. WMTR is a unique mix of music and full-service type of stuff (frequent regional news and farm reports during middays) that doesn't exist in bigger markets, at least not anymore.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic