Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Toledo Station For Sale

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Colonel Flagg

Re: Toledo Station For Sale

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:36 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:53 pm
WOHO wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:56 pm
I wonder why WJYM (if that's who we're talking about) doesn't open up its signal up north? There is no CHYR anymore, so who do they have to protect, short of first adjacent WGN? Did not know about the 106.9 translator, which sucks, because that is about the only clear frequency you can use for an FM modulator in T-town. Are you s***ting me, $635K for essentially only a 1959 AM station? WPAY has all new towers, new transmitter (well, built this century at least) and sold for a whole lot less. Guess I should have jumped on 1520 for that for my niche music channel which already has a functional translator (is 104.1 K-Loves, or theirs?).
Andy Stuart, wherever you are, f**ked me on 1470 turning-in the license before you could even do a study on a 500w Omni signal with a Perrysburg COL, as he wanted to screw the Dickey Brothers personally, since they owned the Pickle Road land and were leasing the station back to Cumulus. City of Oregon paid those boys way to much for their land. Also, 730 ground conductivity has to be total sheet, sitting on top of 2 stone quarries in Lime City (unless they could use that railroad track as a ground radial).

What did 106.5 sell for? 730 sure ain't gonna pull that kind of cash with a Bowling Green COL pattern and Toledo out of the picture every 4 blocks?
WVFN East Lansing also operates on 730kc.
WVFN's DA actually points away from WJYM, with the major lobe to the northeast.

CHYR is probably still protected as a split frequency operation, as are all other ghost Canadian AM stations. They have to be protected as if they are still licensed and operating.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:29 am

It's got a great signal going south, but if they could even get city coverage to the OH/MI state line, that would be an improvement.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:57 am

While passing through on I-75 yesterday afternoon, I noticed WJYM was off the air. Completely off. I could hear traces of WVFN in the background.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 pm

It seems more likely that it would be 1560 reviving the WLQR call letters, with the limited schedule you mention. 1560 is 1500 watts Day, 3 watts Night. Like the Colonel Flagg said, 1470 it would likely be no more than 500 watts nondirectional Day, and maybe only 250 if it fits in at all, and maybe 20 watts nondirectional Nights. WMBD is VERY well protected on 1470 at Night. If it were a licensed station, it would have to operate more hours than just baseball games and weekly Polka shows. Maybe they would buy time on 1560, and could call it WLQR except the TOH ID, unless they change the call letters.

According to the Agreement with Canada, CHYR as good as still operates on both 710 unlimited and 730 Nights. When 730 Bowling Green came on the air, it could have been limited as a "Suburban Station" under a now deleted rule, and not able to put a 5 mV/m over Toledo as well as CHYR on 710.

CHYR History

http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/list ... io/chyr-fm

WJYM History

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/c ... r_id=62042

Looks like CJSP 710 and WWBG 730 both came on the air nearly contemporaneously in early 1955, so any adjacency and concurrence issues would have had to be granted under treaty. Both were just 250 watts DA at the beginning. CHYR with just 250 watts had a deep null to the South, most likely to protect WLW. Looks pretty tight to me, even considering Lake Erie and borders. R-L shows the WLW 0.5 mV/m ground wave takes in half of Pelee Island, which is land in Canada.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:44 pm

Ben: Cumulus owns WLQR calls. Not gonna happen. There is no land at 1560 or 99.5's sites. The clue was an AM-FM combo with 20 acres of land. Because everyone wants to be armchair PD and owner, that does not change the riddle given to us.

Now 730 reportedly off?

The OP never said my guess was wrong.

Need more clues?

The riddle's answer is extremely obvious.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:59 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:44 pm
Ben: Cumulus owns WLQR calls. Not gonna happen. There is no land at 1560 or 99.5's sites. The clue was an AM-FM combo with 20 acres of land. Because everyone wants to be armchair PD and owner, that does not change the riddle given to us.

Now 730 reportedly off?

The OP never said my guess was wrong.

Need more clues?

The riddle's answer is extremely obvious.
WJYM was definitely off yesterday. I checked around 4:30, while in south "Toiletto" near Heatherdowns. I checked again near I-75 and the Turnpike around 7PM, and periodically as I traveled south. Nothing there. No carrier. WVFN and the Tigers fading in and out.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:16 pm

730 is still of the air, I live in Northern Wood County and I'm like less then 10 min from the site on Route 20. Nothing but static! Did the station get Raptured? or did Jimmy take it silent?

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:50 pm

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:34 am

I can find no record of any station currently using WLQR, AM, FM or TV, as their legal callsign. Unless at least one station uses a set of FCC assigned call letters, they have no control over them. Deleted callsigns are not controlled. Often stations "store" or "park" call letters on stations they own in other markets. THAT is legal.

Even if a station were authorized on 1470 nondirectionally, it would not be able to operate with just the limited hours specified for just baseball PBP and Polka shows. There are rules about minimum hours of operation.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:23 am

When the Tigers and the Polka Party aren't live they'll just rerun classic games and shows. Duh. You forgot that possibility in the freakin' World Radio TV Handbook entry you posted.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 am

Took a trip to "Downtown Lime City" Ohio Wednesday. Dead air on 730KHz, not even 1 watt of RF. I did notice two vehicles in the parking lot, so I wonder if they're cleaning the joint out for a sale, or simply shutting the place down? Certainly didn't want to trespass to see what was going on. That would be a waste to simply let it go dark when it could still have a life, especially with an FM translator. The antenna farmland is of little commercial value because of its odd position near railroad tracks and two roads and too far East of the commercial district in Perrysburg/Rossford.
Inquiring minds hope that they're not gutting the building and tossing everything into a dumpster?

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:12 pm

Update from the stone quarry; JYMMY looks like he's spending some money on his neglected building before he sells it, including perhaps a translator tower on the Lime City site? In breaking news, they have a porta-potty onsite, so much be expecting to work there a little while
(or "sh**ter's full Clark")?

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:38 pm

WOHO wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 am
Took a trip to "Downtown Lime City" Ohio Wednesday. Dead air on 730KHz, not even 1 watt of RF. I did notice two vehicles in the parking lot, so I wonder if they're cleaning the joint out for a sale, or simply shutting the place down? Certainly didn't want to trespass to see what was going on. That would be a waste to simply let it go dark when it could still have a life, especially with an FM translator. The antenna farmland is of little commercial value because of its odd position near railroad tracks and two roads and too far East of the commercial district in Perrysburg/Rossford.
Inquiring minds hope that they're not gutting the building and tossing everything into a dumpster?
It's possible, they were there fixing a problem. Then again, if it's up for sale then that does make things interesting. Did 730 ever apply for a Translator?

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:31 pm

Yes, they applied for literally the last open frequency in town, 106.9MHz for a translator.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:15 pm

WOHO wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:31 pm
Yes, they applied for literally the last open frequency in town, 106.9MHz for a translator.
Yes, and that was at least 2 or 3 yrs ago.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic