Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Robert Shiels stepping aside from WTOL after 27 years

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
radioandtventhusiast

Re: Robert Shiels stepping aside from WTOL after 27 years

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 pm

tigerwings wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:30 pm
Could Robert head to Loco 4? He's from Wyandotte.

Ben Bailey just left.
Not going to happen. He's a realtor now and wants to stay in Toledo.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:42 pm

Same exTV profession as Bill Hormann !

organman95

Post by organman95 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:26 pm

WOHO wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:54 am
If there's enough memory, I'll run the TiVo recorder August 11th on one of the CH 48 subchannels for the airing (not) of the End Of The World (EAS) Test thru standard broadcast channels for the first time in a long time. Likewise I also eyeball SiriusXM to see what they're doing (or no audio dead air like the first EAS PEP test with had the EOM 3 duckfarts and that's all.) I usually have pretty good luck with the iHeart HD subchannels, I know WIOT-HD2 worked for the first EAS PEP test, but I'm more curious to monitor Cumulus HD subchannels, especially 94.5-HD2 and 105.5-HD2. 8-11-21 will seriously tax my ability to use every recorder I can dig-up. Even an old cassette deck with one HD into left channel and another HD into the right channel.
How did it go? I was in a meeting and simply got a WEA test. I thought this was the daisy-chain test only this year.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:56 am

I was hoping Gary Fulhart would chime-in as I had no EAS audio but white noise from WRVF after the alert tones, so FAIL on Toledo radio stations.
I didn't hear anything on WJR's online stream (assume OTA was okay, but didn't hear it online at all - what, WJR couldn't preempt online commercials?), but phone alert worked and more interesting, WUOM AUTOMATICALLY switched my Kenwood HD car stereo from listening to SiriusXM to WUOM and it did it for hours afterwards and the display indicated that it was an NPT for the United States and DC, but the times were funky, like 2120 to 3120pm? Forgot to roll tape on Channel 48 dammnit.

Gary Fullhart

Post by Gary Fullhart » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:58 pm

WJR didn't receive audio from FEMA. That's what WRVF and WIOT relayed. Yes, just noise for the audio message portion.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:48 pm

I thought all PEP stations got the audio from FEMA?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:16 am

Did anyone catch that WMNT-CD Eas test? Just curious if Jesse Weatherby or the female GM changed anything at 48.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:19 am

Still no CC on 48.2 or 48.4 or program descriptions, so I wouldn't bet the farm that they even had a crawl onscreen during the EAN test.
BTW, did you read the FCC comments, Verizon had several towers shutdown and restart during the NPT, but they supposedly sent the message out a second time just in case you didn't get it the first time! I think AT&T actually sent the message like 30 times to make sure it worked. Sprint / TMobile didn't say much about a repetitive message in case you missed the first NPT, and actually had several items in their letter blacked-out so you couldn't read their top secret information in their FCC letter!! Nobody seemed real specific about whether the 3G customers got screwed and got the message 10 minutes after 4G/LTE, 5G customers received it? Much to my amazement, sh*tty Verizon at work, where I can't even get a voice call (goes to voicemail) and they won't checkout the lack of voice and data coverage, actually was able to send a message thru! Wow, what are the odds? One of the big 3 admitted that they didn't schedule any maintenance on the day of the test, so again, not a true example of what would happen on a regular day, or how they would cancel an incorrect warning like the folks in Hawaii that had an incoming missile alert!

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:47 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:19 am
Still no CC on 48.2 or 48.4 or program descriptions, so I wouldn't bet the farm that they even had a crawl onscreen during the EAN test.
BTW, did you read the FCC comments, Verizon had several towers shutdown and restart during the NPT, but they supposedly sent the message out a second time just in case you didn't get it the first time! I think AT&T actually sent the message like 30 times to make sure it worked. Sprint / TMobile didn't say much about a repetitive message in case you missed the first NPT, and actually had several items in their letter blacked-out so you couldn't read their top secret information in their FCC letter!! Nobody seemed real specific about whether the 3G customers got screwed and got the message 10 minutes after 4G/LTE, 5G customers received it? Much to my amazement, sh*tty Verizon at work, where I can't even get a voice call (goes to voicemail) and they won't checkout the lack of voice and data coverage, actually was able to send a message thru! Wow, what are the odds? One of the big 3 admitted that they didn't schedule any maintenance on the day of the test, so again, not a true example of what would happen on a regular day, or how they would cancel an incorrect warning like the folks in Hawaii that had an incoming missile alert!
That will be problematic! In a tornado situation, one has seconds to react. No matter what medium, everyone needs government warning information.

If nobody remembers a WMNT-CD test, 99% chance it never happened.

On 48/"58". I really feel 48 needs shut down. It's always been back burner for the public service. Many many years I said the same thing on here. Now that people are streaming, Buckeye is the only cable that carries it, no public service actions, secrecy on everything there..... it's time to shut it off. Not like anyone will miss it. Just a waste of electricity and air waves.

For those on Roku: Cozi, This, Get TV, and many more subchannels like H&I Movies! and Decades are on the Free2View private channel. Channel Code: 9QDC5JN . These are not geolocked either. 48's MYNTV is on KCWX 2 on Roku as well. No code needed, just look up the calls in "search." See, nobody will miss 48.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic