Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLMB seeks a relocation to UHF

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
innate-in-you

WLMB seeks a relocation to UHF

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:05 pm

After decades of being banished to the Low-VHF band, worse, being limited to a draconian 10kW maximum ERP, WLMB is seeking a rulemaking to move to UHF channel 35, and with more than 300kW of ERP.

It seems that the repack has conveniently opened a hole that happens to lie right over Mulberry St. and Arnold Hwy.

If built, it will improve its "real life" coverage significantly.

With its short tower, it would still have a smaller coverage circle than the transmitters just East of Toledo. It would also have less interference from WGVK than it now has (not to mention that WGVK would have less of its own coverage compromised with WLMB's channel gone).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WLMB seeks a relocation to UHF

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:24 am

Smart move!

The FCC just granted a similar app for KARE 11 in Minneapolis.

I'd say there is a good chance this one will get approved. Just need to afford protection to possible Canadian co-channels.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm

WLMB is hard to get on antennas in a decent part of the Toledo area, so expanding coverage should help with that.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:36 am

The more important problems are the 10kW maximum ERP and the fact that there are many antennas being sold that are not designed to receive waves that are several feet long.

60kW should be the standard ERP limit for ALL of the VHF channels, highband and lowband.

(Or less, for stations in Zone I that transmit with more than 305m above average terrain in Zone I or 610m in Zone II).

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 pm

They should also move their antenna to somewhere in Ohio.

If this move doesn't get approved, they should do channel sharing with one of the bigger Toledo stations.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Splouge wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 pm
They should also move their antenna to somewhere in Ohio.

If this move doesn't get approved, they should do channel sharing with one of the bigger Toledo stations.
One idea I've had for awhile was to get WLMB to send My 48 on a 40.3 subchannel and have WMNT-CD put WLMB on a 48.5 subchannel.

I think that WLMB can't move their TL further East because there is an RF35 station in North Central Ohio.

WLMB's tower is only about a mile and a half north of the state line.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:59 pm

This would actually have a bit of overlap on WUDL's contour.

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php ... r=&circen=

As you can see, WLMB's 48 dBu (city grade for full power UHF) contour actually overlaps a bit on WUDL's 51 dBu (the protection level for UHF LPDTs) contour.

I guess WUDL is gonna end up having to move to VHF 5 because low power stations can be displaced at any time by full power and class A stations, and using any other antenna pattern on 35 would either interfere with WLMB or CIII Sarnia.

Or WUDL could channel share with sister station WDWO-CD. But WDWO is probably gonna have to downgrade Azteca to 480i.

Either way I dont really care, I don't watch WUDL or WDWO.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:41 pm

The FCC should get rid of the setup wherein there are zones with different power limits. I know it's because of terrain differences, but it doesn't help the roughly terrained zone (zone II) as much as it hurts the flat zones (zones I and III). Plus I think it might be unconstitutional.

The Low VHF limit under 1000 ft should really be 125 kW for full power stations, and 12.5 kW for low power. The protection contour should be changed to 33 dBu for full power, and remain at 43 dBu for low power.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Splouge wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:41 pm
The FCC should get rid of the setup wherein there are zones with different power limits. I know it's because of terrain differences, but it doesn't help the roughly terrained zone (zone II) as much as it hurts the flat zones (zones I and III). Plus I think it might be unconstitutional.

The Low VHF limit under 1000 ft should really be 125 kW for full power stations, and 12.5 kW for low power. The protection contour should be changed to 33 dBu for full power, and remain at 43 dBu for low power.
I strongly suspect that another reason for Television Zone 1 was to keep service areas to one group of transmitter sites, lest have a situation where stations try to serve three different stations - with the largest city getting the most attention, whilst the other cities being neglected.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:14 pm

I was always under the impression that Zone I lower TV antenna heights allowed more stations to be squeezed into highly populated areas. Originally Class B FM stations were only allowed 20 kW from 500 feet in the Zone I at the time, and were only protected to the 60 dBu/1mV/m contour. Outside Zone I, including Michigan at the time, higher ERP and HAAT stations were allowed. There were only the practical equipment ERP limitations at the time. See the 1960 NAB Engineering Handbook.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34 am

Well- This move works for a few years, until TV does, like radio is starting to. We See AM radio dying the quickest. What is it with Christian organizations holding on to old and dyeing technology? Shocked they did not ask for shortwave space.

If you wanna get them young... USE THE KIDS' TECHNOLOGY. This must be too logical. Nobody wants to do what their grandparents did... or how they did it. So, let's see how many kiddies want to dip the quill into the ink nowadays.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:11 am

TeddyBear wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34 am
Well- This move works for a few years, until TV does, like radio is starting to. We See AM radio dying the quickest. What is it with Christian organizations holding on to old and dyeing technology? Shocked they did not ask for shortwave space.

If you wanna get them young... USE THE KIDS' TECHNOLOGY. This must be too logical. Nobody wants to do what their grandparents did... or how they did it. So, let's see how many kiddies want to dip the quill into the ink nowadays.
I can see why Christian entities would use dyeing technology, because dyed garments (such as T-shirts) will get more attention than plain white shirts.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:17 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:11 am
TeddyBear wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34 am

I can see why Christian entities would use dyeing technology, because dyed garments (such as T-shirts) will get more attention than plain white shirts.
Cute. Maybe you could write for FETV. Eventually, they are going to have to get into modern programming. Maybe show a joke or 2 to TV 46 in South Bend, the flagship. I'm sure you'll replace Hazel in no time!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic