Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Are CICO and CBET on the same tower?

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
n8fnr

Are CICO and CBET on the same tower?

Post by n8fnr » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:46 am

I am going to put up a fixed antenna to get CICO. I noticed that CICO and CBET are both in the exact same direction from my house, 157.3 degrees south. Are both transmitters on the same tower?

Zack

YpsiGuy

Re: Are CICO and CBET on the same tower?

Post by YpsiGuy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:46 am

Yes.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:24 am

Second YpsiGuy.

When Windsor 9 came to air, everybody knew that its actual market was stateside.

It just made sense for the Canadian government to license CKLW-TV to a foreign partnership with RKO General, and allowing CKLW to sell US advertising, as the USA side had (and still has) far more viewers.

It also gave the CBC the opportunity to present Canadian programming since the big three were all affiliated with CBS, NBC or ABC.

The deal helped the CBC as they could also air Canadian programs and newscasts for their own audiences, and bring in some revenue selling ads in the "Million Dollar Movie".

Before about 1980, the CKLW-TV/CBET transmitter tower was only a few hundred feet from the Detroit River. Last I knew, a short part of that CBET wavestack tower was still standing, but, with no transmitting antenna on the tower, it might be being used only for receiving programming from CBC facilities.

Some time about 1981, the CBET transmitter and antenna were relocated to the tower at McGregor built in 1976 for CICO-TV-32 and CBEFT-78.

One other note: Cleveland had a Channel 9 in the early days of TV.

It QSYed to Channel 8, paving the way for Channel 9 newbies CKLW-TV Windsor (now CBET) and WSTV Steubenville, OH. (Now WTOV).
Last edited by innate-in-you on Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:25 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:24 am
Second YpsiGuy.

When Windsor 9 came to air, everybody knew that its actual market was stateside.

It just made sense for the Canadian government to license CKLW-TV to a foreign partnership with RKO General, and allowing CKLW to sell US advertising, as the USA side had (and still has) far more viewers.

It also gave the CBC the opportunity to present Canadian programming since the big three were all affiliated with CBS, NBC or ABC.

The deal helped the CBC as they could also air Canadian programs and newscasts for their own audiences, and bring in some revenue selling ads in the "Million Dollar Movie".

Before about 1980, the CKLW-TV/CBET transmitter tower was only a few hundred feet from the Detroit River. Last I knew, a short part of that CBET wavestack tower was still standing, but, with no transmitting antenna on the tower, it might be being used only for receiving programming from CBC facilities.

Some time about 1981, the CBET transmitter and antenna were relocated to the tower at McGregor built in 1976 for CICO-TV-32 and CBEFT-78.

One other note: Cleveland had a Channel 9 in the early days of TV, DuMont O&O, IIRC.

It QSYed to Channel 8, paving the way for Channel 9 newbies CKLW-TV Windsor (now CBET) and WSTV Steubenville, OH. (Now WTOV).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WJW_(TV)

Present WJW-TV 9->8 in 1953.
Present CBET 9 (CKLW-TV) signed on in 1954.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:13 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:24 am
Second YpsiGuy.

One other note: Cleveland had a Channel 9 in the early days of TV, DuMont O&O, IIRC.

Empire Coil owned WXEL9, then shortly 8. It was not an O&O of Dumont's. In fact, they also carried ABC as a secondary network, just like WSPD (now WTVG) 13 did with NBC, then CBS, and then again with ABC, until 1970. WXEL also aired the original UPN of the 1950's. It was literally "The Paramount Network." The network did not survive more than a few years.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Teddy Bear:

I've edited my post to correct my historical error, Thanks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Last I knew, a short part of that CBET wavestack tower was still standing, but, with no transmitting antenna on the tower.
It is indeed still standing. It's located almost directly across the river from where Joe Louis Arena once stood, along Riverside Dr.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:35 am

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

n8fnr

Post by n8fnr » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:34 am

Thanks all for the replies!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic