Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:12 pm

Big 95.5, the one-time home of former West Michigan radio personalities Steve Stewart and "Alabama," is no more.

Earlier today, the station flipped to Mainstream Rock as "Rock 95.5."

The imaging sounds great. The logo looks sharp. The playlist? Meh. Not impressed. Sounds like a carbon copy of WIOT minus the currents & recurrents. It's as if iHM pulled out an archived "Man Up!" branded playlist from four or five years ago and decided to use that as the backbone for Rock 95.5's inaugural playlist.

I hope the station adds some newer music in coming weeks; who the f*ck knows if that'll actually occur.

The VP of Programming for iHM Chicago, who just arrived from Washington, D.C. not that long ago, handled day-to-day programming chores for Classic Rock Big 100.3 and sissy rock DC 101, so it's not terribly surprising that iHM's weakest ratings performer in Chicago has gone rock.

The pitching of the music is noticeable, too. Reminds me of mid/late 90's era rock radio.

https://rock955chi.iheart.com/


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:35 am

WIOT as of late has been very stale and not playing new songs. I think their most recent song is Bad Wolves's cover of Zombie from 2018. So Rock 95.5's playlist might nearly be identical to IOT'S.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:48 pm

A.O.R. - all over the road.

https://rock955chi.iheart.com/music/recently-played/

95 WIIL has nothing to worry about; those in the northern burbs who can pick up that station reliably will continue to patronize that station faithfully, I suspect.


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

CurlyHoward
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by CurlyHoward » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:33 pm

Somewhere teenage me is smiling at the former smooth jazz elevator music WNUA playing AC/DC but yeah, that playlist sucks. WIIL and WDRV will both be fine.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4391
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:13 pm

Just remember, WNUA used to be rocker WMET. :)


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

User avatar
TeddyBear
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Re: iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by TeddyBear » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:34 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:35 am
WIOT as of late has been very stale and not playing new songs. I think their most recent song is Bad Wolves's cover of Zombie from 2018. So Rock 95.5's playlist might nearly be identical to IOT'S.
Probably is. IHeart seems to cookie cut formats, if not logs.


Something to think about- Just because I point out that you cannot do your job properly and appropriately, does not mean that anyone is calling you a bad person. However, you tell the world that you are a bad person by denying that you cannot do your job.

User avatar
WOHO
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:05 am
Location: Cumulus has killed 1470 KHz

Re: iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by WOHO » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:07 am

You guys are all too young when WIOT was the top mid-market AOR station in the entire country...one of kind and Frazier Reams (RIP) let them make him the cash and do whatever they pretty much wanted to.



radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:25 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:34 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:35 am
WIOT as of late has been very stale and not playing new songs. I think their most recent song is Bad Wolves's cover of Zombie from 2018. So Rock 95.5's playlist might nearly be identical to IOT'S.
Probably is. IHeart seems to cookie cut formats, if not logs.
I'm guessing it's a cookie-cutter playlist too.



User avatar
TeddyBear
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Re: iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by TeddyBear » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:23 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:25 pm
TeddyBear wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:34 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:35 am
WIOT as of late has been very stale and not playing new songs. I think their most recent song is Bad Wolves's cover of Zombie from 2018. So Rock 95.5's playlist might nearly be identical to IOT'S.
Probably is. IHeart seems to cookie cut formats, if not logs.
I'm guessing it's a cookie-cutter playlist too.
That's what I was saying.


Something to think about- Just because I point out that you cannot do your job properly and appropriately, does not mean that anyone is calling you a bad person. However, you tell the world that you are a bad person by denying that you cannot do your job.

CurlyHoward
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: iFart launches a new Mainstream Rock station in Chicago - Rock 95.5

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:23 pm

WOHO wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:07 am
You guys are all too young when WIOT was the top mid-market AOR station in the entire country...one of kind and Frazier Reams (RIP) let them make him the cash and do whatever they pretty much wanted to.
I've lived in Toledo since 2005, other than when they had Grizzly on overnights playing metal at midnight every night WIOT has always sucked.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic