Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

BAS gets big FCC fine!

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
WOHO

BAS gets big FCC fine!

Post by WOHO » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 am

Tried to buy WTTF-AM and FM translator without getting FCC approval first will cost your $8K according to Radio World:

"...An Ohio broadcaster agreed to pay $8,000 as part of a consent decree after purchasing two licenses without consent from the Federal Communications Commission. Earlier this year Media Bureau began investigating the assignment of station WTTF(AM) and FM translator W227BJ from Tiffin Broadcasting to BAS Broadcasting..."

They tried to buy it piecemeal for over half a million to boot, like $600K for Tiffin??

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: BAS gets big FCC fine!

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:33 pm

Big fine? More like a slap on the wrist.

Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:32 pm

Technically, they didn't own the licenses.

© 2020 TC Talks Global Inc. All Rights Reserved

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:07 am

I wonder if the fine was so low for these reasons:

1) Am is clearly dying. fewer and fewer listeners.

2) The signal was not a major one, as in LPFM.

3) Bas had no priors.

4) Was not a "metro" market. Low profile, Lower income.

5) Bas serves the community well.

Just my thoughts. I agree, it is just not a big fine. $20 Thou, then I might take note.

Something to think about- Just because I point out that you cannot do your job properly and appropriately, does not mean that anyone is calling you a bad person. However, you tell the world that you are a bad person by denying that you cannot do your job.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:29 am

It's just that they're a small company; I am still taken aback how much that they think the value of this property is? Over half a million?

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:05 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:29 am
It's just that they're a small company; I am still taken aback how much that they think the value of this property is? Over half a million?
I'm thinking that the FCC is not giving allotments for corporate size, regarding fines. I think that's what you are telling us, along with the owners having big heads.

Something to think about- Just because I point out that you cannot do your job properly and appropriately, does not mean that anyone is calling you a bad person. However, you tell the world that you are a bad person by denying that you cannot do your job.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:42 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:29 am
BAS must have really wanted into Tiffin to pay that much. As I recall, Doug Stefan donated WTTF, didn't he? As to the FCC, they're getting a little heavy handed lately. The lawyers are the only winners.

"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic