Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WTVG 13 NBC News Noon Report (9/18/1981)

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Some Guy from Toledo

WTVG 13 NBC News Noon Report (9/18/1981)

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:31 am

Thought I'd share this rare recording of WTVG's noon newscast from almost 40 years ago. Amazing what they could get from having one anchor for the entire thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzOyoCvv7U

WOHO

Re: WTVG 13 NBC News Noon Report (9/18/1981)

Post by WOHO » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:41 am

Gordon Ward is a good newsman, anchor, and local personality. He taught Diane Larson how to run the Noon news when she was a hottie with a perm fresh out of college. Prior to the Noon report, Gordon Ward was co-anchor of the evening WSPD-TV 'Venner-Ward' report which was true old-school TV in 1969 and good quality, easy-going news with filmed stories and sports anchor Frank Gilhooley - stories literally on film until the 'action cam' videotape cameras came to life, first on WTOL, then WSPD/WTVG while WDHO still had film- seemed like it was recycled or poorly processed at that, but I give them credit for at least always trying right up to the end with Laura Emerson and Bruce. Back to 1981, that same tiny set was used by Randy Price prior to the arrival of the real Anchorman- Jerry Anderson on WTVG. Also, look-up Paul Lynde doing the weather on that set- it's hilarious and naughty too - best TV ever in Toledo.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:11 pm

WOHO wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:41 am
Gordon Ward is a good newsman, anchor, and local personality. He taught Diane Larson how to run the Noon news when she was a hottie with a perm fresh out of college. Prior to the Noon report, Gordon Ward was co-anchor of the evening WSPD-TV 'Venner-Ward' report which was true old-school TV in 1969 and good quality, easy-going news with filmed stories and sports anchor Frank Gilhooley - stories literally on film until the 'action cam' videotape cameras came to life, first on WTOL, then WSPD/WTVG while WDHO still had film- seemed like it was recycled or poorly processed at that, but I give them credit for at least always trying right up to the end with Laura Emerson and Bruce. Back to 1981, that same tiny set was used by Randy Price prior to the arrival of the real Anchorman- Jerry Anderson on WTVG. Also, look-up Paul Lynde doing the weather on that set- it's hilarious and naughty too - best TV ever in Toledo.
Yeah, I saw the Paul Lynde video already, great stuff!

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:37 am

Watching this again, I suppose this was when the station was on Huron St in the "Broadcast Building". I almost wanted to visit inside the building but didn't want to disturb the current tenants of it.
http://wikimapia.org/15878133/Broadcast-Building

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:30 am

Yep, I was in 136 Huron back in the early 70's as a kid, and the giant radio studios of WSPD had already left Huron Street and moved to "more modern" aka much smaller studios (no live bands or studio audience seating) Superior Street around 1962, so it was only TV studios there at the time, and back when the lighting was hot as hell for the color cameras of the day. In the 70's they used to have a chromakey weather list of local temperatures and it was just one of those letter boards where you stick in the white letter and numbers over a dark background and they would tilt the camera down to roll thru the list. You should see some photos of how gigantic those WSPD radio studios were in the 1940's before they started TV in 1948.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:20 pm

WOHO wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:30 am
Yep, I was in 136 Huron back in the early 70's as a kid, and the giant radio studios of WSPD had already left Huron Street and moved to "more modern" aka much smaller studios (no live bands or studio audience seating) Superior Street around 1962, so it was only TV studios there at the time, and back when the lighting was hot as hell for the color cameras of the day. In the 70's they used to have a chromakey weather list of local temperatures and it was just one of those letter boards where you stick in the white letter and numbers over a dark background and they would tilt the camera down to roll thru the list. You should see some photos of how gigantic those WSPD radio studios were in the 1940's before they started TV in 1948.
I believe my mom had a pic of her on the set of one of WSPD's programs in the 40's I saw. I wish I could find it now but I think my sister took most of her photos.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic