Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Channel-Sharing, Canadian Style

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Splouge

Re: Channel-Sharing, Canadian Style

Post by Splouge » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:56 pm

I wish the CRTC would treat subchannels as if they were part of the primary station. I would really like to see some Canadian diginets! Maybe CBC could have a Canadian reruns diginet (akin to Me TV, but Canadian). And maybe we could enjoy some SCTV (take off hoser!)

Alas, Canadian cord cutters have it rough if they don't live near the border. (Sorry, Newfoundland!)

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:28 pm

Splouge wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:56 pm
I wish the CRTC would treat subchannels as if they were part of the primary station. I would really like to see some Canadian diginets! Maybe CBC could have a Canadian reruns diginet (akin to Me TV, but Canadian). And maybe we could enjoy some SCTV (take off hoser!)

Alas, Canadian cord cutters have it rough if they don't live near the border. (Sorry, Newfoundland!)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:37 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:54 pm
rugratsonline wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:44 pm
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:40 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:52 pm
If I remember correctly, Global's signal *is* nulled towards Detroit, and yes, it is the most difficult Canadian station for me to pick up, because of that. Don't' fret if you don't receive it, because I often have difficulty tuning in, too!
I used to get ch. 22 back in the analog days once in a while.
Back when the channel 22 transmitter was still in Cottam, they had to substitute some programming in prime time in order to make the US networks happy, as their signal easily reached Detroit. They later moved to Stevenson after a transmitter fire, but a few years after that, they had to adjust its signal, as channel 22 from Stevenson could be easily tuned in across Lake Erie in Cleveland.
The only substitute programming I saw from (what was then) CKGN-TV-22 was, for about two years, a black-and-white slide with the "three merged Gs" denoting "Programming will resume at n:nn pm".

After about two years, the American program hours would be replaced with a video text news feed, like so many cable systems offered in that era.
Wouldn't surprise me that was the best they could do for that station than invest in extra VTR's to run something else at the time.
Then CKGN-TV-22 (Cottam) was destroyed by a fire.
Poor Windsorites.
About ten years later, CIII-TV-22 came on the air from Stephenson (combined with a CTV transmitter, on Channel 16, that still carries CTV2 programming (I guess from that location, the coverage contour precisely matches the path of the Detroit River). CTV2 also has a transmitter in Downtown Windsor, beaming Southeastward, with all stateside land effectively nulled out. An amazing technological feat!
I bet. All that work just so America can't complain!

Reminded I bought a copy of this fancy record off eBay recently!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcofkAAhRH8
Splouge wrote:

That is the sad part in all this, even Mexico knows how to use that extra space effectively.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:15 pm

A couple quick notes on Global TV for our American neighbours....

--Windsorites don't need Global bc they just show in prime time the same as the American networks that we already get OTA.Thats why there is a null towards the US border for protection of the American networks.

---Windsorites don't need the news on Global bc its Toronto news and most don't have an interest in it since TO is 5 hrs away.

---And lastly ….the reason why the CRTC shuns subchannels is bc they don't want to give a better free alternative to pay tv cable/sat.Companies like Roger and Bell are so high up big gov't's rectum they want the monopolies to continue.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:37 pm

Come on, CRTC, let broadcasters have some fun! Y'all are what is keeping Canada from enjoying true free speech.

Another thing about Canadian monopolies, monopolies in cable aren't just encouraged, but mostly are required.

If a cable channel is a category A service, no other companies can start a cable channel in the same genre. As a result, Nickelodeon Canada and Disney Channel Canada are owned by the same company.

The Canadian constitution doesn't even guarantee freedom.

Canadians, our door is open, come on in and join US!

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:21 pm

windsor wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:15 pm
A couple quick notes on Global TV for our American neighbours....

--Windsorites don't need Global bc they just show in prime time the same as the American networks that we already get OTA.Thats why there is a null towards the US border for protection of the American networks.

---Windsorites don't need the news on Global bc its Toronto news and most don't have an interest in it since TO is 5 hrs away.

---And lastly ….the reason why the CRTC shuns subchannels is bc they don't want to give a better free alternative to pay tv cable/sat.Companies like Roger and Bell are so high up big gov't's rectum they want the monopolies to continue.
The equivalent of Bell in the US would be if one of the Big Three, iHeartRadio, Sinclair, AT&T, and Comcast were all under the same corporate umbrella

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:00 pm

windsor wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:15 pm
Doesn't the Cogeco system in Windsor simsub over Detroit if the programs match? And if so, do they use Global?
Splouge wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:37 pm
If a cable channel is a category A service, no other companies can start a cable channel in the same genre. As a result, Nickelodeon Canada and Disney Channel Canada are owned by the same company.
I believe Corus, the same people who owns Global, also run the Canadian version of Cartoon Network. All three are competitors in the US, but are actually "sisters" in Canada.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Splouge wrote:
Or even in a large city -- since the digital conversion in 2011, many areas of Canada were left with no aerial television. In the case of Newfoundland, only St. John's has two -- CBC and NTV. St. John's lost Radio-Canada when the CBC repeater network closed down, and the rest of Newfoundland lost aerial television after that, plus the closedown of NTV's transmitter network outside St. John's.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:20 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:04 pm
Splouge wrote:
Or even in a large city -- since the digital conversion in 2011, many areas of Canada were left with no aerial television. In the case of Newfoundland, only St. John's has two -- CBC and NTV. St. John's lost Radio-Canada when the CBC repeater network closed down, and the rest of Newfoundland lost aerial television after that, plus the closedown of NTV's transmitter network outside St. John's.
Some large, English speaking cities without many English channels OTA include:

St. Johns, NL
London, ON
Halifax, NS
Saskatoon, SK
Edmonton, AB

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:25 am

Splouge wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:20 pm

St. Johns, NL
London, ON
Halifax, NS
Saskatoon, SK
Edmonton, AB
I feel sorry for these cities being gimped out like that.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:25 am
Splouge wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:20 pm

St. Johns, NL
London, ON
Halifax, NS
Saskatoon, SK
Edmonton, AB
I feel sorry for these cities being gimped out like that.
Well most of them surely do better than Alpena MI, which only has 6 channels.

I said most, St. Johns only has 2.

If you're in Canada, the only retro channel you may be able to get OTA is CHCH. But their selection is pathetic compared to Me, Antenna, etc. And their retro shows only air during daytime hours. CTV and CTV 2 also carry Corner Gas, so at least there's that.

Red Green is an underrated gem. And all 300 episodes are on Youtube for free. And not pirated either, it's by the official channel!

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Splouge wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:10 pm
If you're in Canada, the only retro channel you may be able to get OTA is CHCH. But their selection is pathetic compared to Me, Antenna, etc. And their retro shows only air during daytime hours.
No doubt because CHCH wanted to play the simsub game, just like any other commercial station in Canada.

As for CHCH's coverage, it's not a Canada-wide network, but a station in Hamilton, Ontario with repeaters in London, Ottawa, Sudbury and Sault-Ste Marie, and maybe a couple other cities in Ontario. It is seen on cable in many areas and on satellite nationwide.

windsor

Post by windsor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:38 pm

Bottom line is, if your not near the US border of full power stations 98% of folks have cable tv or sat.

A very small percent are OTA and a streaming service or two.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Splouge wrote:

At the very least, they could have had CBC/SRC transmitters broadcasting the local majority language in HD and minority language in SD.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:52 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:05 pm
Splouge wrote:

At the very least, they could have had CBC/SRC transmitters broadcasting the local majority language in HD and minority language in SD.
Would've been nice. People are paying for that technically.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic