Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WVKS (92-5 Kiss FM) Music Choice?

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 15062

WVKS (92-5 Kiss FM) Music Choice?

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:49 pm

Is WVKS currently running Music Choice? Allot of tune-out/dead air. Gaps just as big as the Grand Canyon. Reminiscent of WIMX's automation and Sat format. Plus EJ is a CHR format jock for Music Choice.

Is this really in the public interest, when nobody is local anymore?

Nice job iHeart! Thank yourself, when radio dies.

Deleted User 12047

Re: WVKS (92-5 Kiss FM) Music Choice?

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:45 am

Afternoon guy also does Country.. https://wamz.iheart.com/featured/billy-the-kid/
All night guy on KISS in LA... https://www.facebook.com/pg/officialjoj ... e_internal

EJ on the schedule at KISS in LA as well...

Looks like Mojo is the only jock within 100 miles of Toledo

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:09 pm

I think you mean Premium Choice. And remember, this is Toledo's #1 radio station. Sad.

Anyone think the time could be ripe for a hyper-local CHR competitor? Tower 98 took a pretty good bite out of Kiss's ratings 15 or so years ago. Cumulus can't be counted on to do that now of course.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Look at WMIM's numbers for December- they've lost half their audience in 3 months. IF Cumulus was smart they would flip it. Senator Brown ripped iHeart a new one and asked them how many people in OUR STATE lost their jobs, what their compensation is, what their insurance is. etc... and demanded that iHeart respond to his inquiry. iHeart is killing radio by not being local, so it blows my mind that 92.5 is #1 with a Detroit show. Radio has lost it's mind- if you want local listeners, you need local jocks like Grizzly to make you want to tune-in.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:27 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:09 pm
I think you mean Premium Choice.
Correct. I did mean Premium. Not sure why I said Music Choice.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:45 pm

I'm not sure if bringing back Tower 98 is the right move. The only time it ever got good ratings in Toledo is when Johny D did mornings there 15 years ago. 1055 was never successful as a CHR either.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:00 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:45 pm
I'm not sure if bringing back Tower 98 is the right move. The only time it ever got good ratings in Toledo is when Johny D did mornings there 15 years ago. 1055 was never successful as a CHR either.
We forget that radio is no longer about ratings. Cashflow is king. C-Way is a prime example. Q105 mornings is another. Nobody wants to improve the listener experience. Corporations just want 25 minutes of spots per hour. The listener really does not matter anymore, beyond spreading the word about the station or company.

First off, the inconsistencies in format is not good to keep listeners. Secondly, a 4,000 watt stick is not really as big as the top 4, all 50,000 watts. Does not even go as far, so not many dairy holders write WWWM-FM, now WQQO (similar to WKKO, which can easily be confused). Thirdly, flunky morning shows... Andrew Z, Denny Shaeffer, Eric Chase, and a few others. Crappy processing and audio chain settings are also at play. The flow and radio psychology are faulty. Fast/hot sweeps and jingles get 26 bpm (durge) songs. Allot of repeats. No such thing as "No repeat workday" anymore. Now songs repeat every 45 minutes. Dead air, from nobody monitoring and/or faulty silence sensors at the TX. Also, Toledo does not EVER demand more. This is TV and radio. That's why we sound like market 291, yet are market 104.

Kinda seeing what Q105's issues are?

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:32 pm

Not to mention, WQQO has historically not been able to pick a consistent music policy and stick with it. Are they CHR? Adult CHR? Hot AC? Mainstream AC? Rhythmic Hot AC? That inconsistency has kept them from becoming the force in the market they once were. Even with that signal, they did very well during the 3WM and Star 105 days. Hell, they can't decide whether they're Q105 or Q105-5.

My point regarding WVKS is that they're not invincible and they have weaknesses (most notably the lack of locally relevant content) that could and should be exploited by a well-programmed competitor. Kiss wins by default because their closest terrestrial competitor sounds like garbage. I think it would take a local owner or at least one other than Cumulus to accomplish that. And honestly I don't think that will happen. People just don't get excited about radio anymore, and you can't really blame them when a generic jukebox with no local color like WVKS can be number one. Today's CHR demos don't use radio they way they used to. I'm not sure they'd even care if a well-programmed CHR competitor were to come along. It's so sad that that is what the industry has come to.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:39 pm

The thing that sticks out at Me- Q105 and Kiss (really both Kisses.... 92.5 and 93.9, being the same) play the same music [literally], at least 85% of the time. The Q105 imaging is good- minus the tongue and cheek Eric Chase recyclers. The pinched music is good. The psych and tempo flow need to be fixed. Way too bumpy, as I have explained in my TOH music example. The biggest issues are mornings, distorted and bad chain audio along with forward power output.

One more thing... 98.3 is barely reachable in buildings, within Monroe. Flipping it to CHR again is not the right move, from that viewpoint. Also Monroe was not at all behind "Tower 98," so slots did not sell. Cumulus will not go for a flip.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:02 am

it must not be about ratings, as 98.3 is as sucky as AM1230 in the ratings, so why does Cumulus let 98.3 flounder? Why did they dump Bill Michaels? Why did they let their only Detroit Tiger outlet die? Because they suck would be a good answer to all those questions. So, why is Cumulus letting their Toledo cluster go down the shitt*r? Credit for morning drive being local, then that's it.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:14 am

WOHO wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:02 am
it must not be about ratings, as 98.3 is as sucky as AM1230 in the ratings, so why does Cumulus let 98.3 flounder? Why did they dump Bill Michaels? Why did they let their only Detroit Tiger outlet die? Because they suck would be a good answer to all those questions. So, why is Cumulus letting their Toledo cluster go down the shitt*r? Credit for morning drive being local, then that's it.
It isn't. It's all about advertiser revenue, shortcuts to save cash, and decisions that do not involve anyone outside of Atlanta.

Odd how a satellite terrestrial station can be #1. Obviously, Cumulus is no longer consulting the public, nor checking the comments in diaries. Apparently, "who's your favorite drag queen at Hamburger Mary's" is a ratings gold decision. Fire Eric and get it done! Stagnent-low ratings are not what I would keep in my morning slot, muchless any daypart. I have always said that Cumulus makes fool decisions. Hint: Stockholders do not know much about how radio operates. Stop listening to them.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:45 am

I used to sit in a hotel auditorium for 2 hours and listen to 500 K-100 songs and rate them; that was a good 15 years ago, when they actually gave a shet about what songs people thought were burned-out, overplayed, or liked.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic