Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WNWO last night during SNL.

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
radioandtventhusiast

WNWO last night during SNL.

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:00 pm

Last night during SNL, WNWO apparently had technical problems by running commercials, cutting off most of Lizzo's performance and Eddie Murphy's last skit. Lots of outrage on Facebook and Twitter. WNWO claims that it might have been a network issue. I've noticed technical problems on WNWO more so when they moved the master control to South Bend 2 years ago. Not uncommon to see the local insertion commercials not starting on time, often cutting off the return of NBC programming after the break by a few seconds. It just shows you how low-budget the station is run. Sure seems similar to how stations in even smaller markets are run.

CurlyHoward

Re: WNWO last night during SNL.

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Because to Sinclair, Toledo IS a smaller market. WNDU in South Bend has higher priority, that's why they made Kimberly Newman move there even though she'd been doing weather in Toledo for almost 10 years and was one of the few remaining familiar local faces they had.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:36 pm

LOL I just looked at the FB posts and the station is trying to blame NBC for it. Get real. Most likely Sinclair doesn't approve of Lizzo.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:19 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:33 pm
Because to Sinclair, Toledo IS a smaller market. WNDU in South Bend has higher priority, that's why they made Kimberly Newman move there even though she'd been doing weather in Toledo for almost 10 years and was one of the few remaining familiar local faces they had.
Yeah, I liked Kimberly, but I'm thinking she wasn't happy with the way things were going over at 24. WNDU is not owned by Sinclair, but rather by Gray, which owns WTVG.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:27 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:36 pm
LOL I just looked at the FB posts and the station is trying to blame NBC for it. Get real. Most likely Sinclair doesn't approve of Lizzo.
They also say they're going to look into it tomorrow when their "staff returns". I wonder if they have any people working during the weekends? If not, typical corporate media, being as cheap as possible.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:58 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:19 pm
CurlyHoward wrote:
Because to Sinclair, Toledo IS a smaller market. WNDU in South Bend has higher priority...
WNDU is not owned by Sinclair, but rather by Gray, which owns WTVG.
WSBT is the Sinclair-owned station in South Bend, affiliated with CBS and Fox.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:30 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Unless there was a hostile takeover or a sale that I did not hear about... NBC 16 (WNDU - This is home!) is not Sinclair. Fox 28 and CBS 22 are. Kimberly moving has nothing to do with Sinclair now. NBC 16 is Gray, co-owned with 13abc and abc 12.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:00 pm
Last night during SNL, WNWO apparently had technical problems by running commercials, cutting off most of Lizzo's performance and Eddie Murphy's last skit. Lots of outrage on Facebook and Twitter. WNWO claims that it might have been a network issue. I've noticed technical problems on WNWO more so when they moved the master control to South Bend 2 years ago. Not uncommon to see the local insertion commercials not starting on time, often cutting off the return of NBC programming after the break by a few seconds. It just shows you how low-budget the station is run. Sure seems similar to how stations in even smaller markets are run.
Really sad it's like this at all. :(

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:46 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:30 pm
CurlyHoward wrote:
Because to Sinclair, Toledo IS a smaller market. WNDU in South Bend has higher priority....
Unless there was a hostile takeover or a sale that I did not hear about... NBC 16 (WNDU - This is home!) is not Sinclair. Fox 28 and CBS 22 are.
Actually, WSBT now carries Fox on its 22.2 subchannel. WSJV, the former Fox 28, is now owned by Quincy Media, which owns several stations in the Midwest, and is currently carrying seven subchannels, with plans on adding two more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WSJV

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:36 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:40 pm
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:00 pm
Really sad it's like this at all. :(
It's a shame for sure. 24 will stink as long as Sinclair owns it. I would love for 13 to take over the NBC affiliation and put ABC on their .2 subchannel, similar to how smaller markets handle affiliations.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:45 pm

WNWO has apparently removed all the comments regarding SNL on its FB page. They were still there yesterday. They're also not saying what caused the technical difficulties that they were going to investigate yesterday.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:52 am

WNWO was worse than a college intern running control. They ran a boatload of local spots DURING SNL, then had a static card, then ran the beginning of the POS Wrestling show 15 minutes early, then crashed that and went back to the NBC feed, which was a card of Eddie Murphy, ran a couple more spots, and then got back in time to SNL for the very end of the last skit and then the SNL sign-off. Hell, I could run a board better when I was 18 years old. WTF - is anybody physically at WNWO, or is it all BS from South Bend and only two reporters left in Toledo and an empty building the rest of the time? I'd rather have a local businessman - someone like Fraizer Reams III (if there was one) purchase WNWO outright, stay NBC, operate it locally using WTVG for a 15 minute newscast, and also buy/takeover the clusterf**k known as 48.1-48.4 with their incorrect virtual channels on their 36 RF frequencies, add CC, add program descriptions and continue to improve the AV quality and program them to COZI and Antenna TV showup in the 48's, not the 36 range. Yeah, I know, a pipedream to get something decent locally again on the UHF losers.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:39 am

I sound like a broken record when these issues come up, but I wish the FCC would do away with their "network non-duplication" and "syndex" rules so cable providers like Buckeye Broadband could offer NBC via Detroit's WDIV, in addition to WNWO, so when things like the SNL screw up happen, consumers have a choice.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:46 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:39 am
I sound like a broken record when these issues come up, but I wish the FCC would do away with their "network non-duplication" and "syndex" rules so cable providers like Buckeye Broadband could offer NBC via Detroit's WDIV, in addition to WNWO, so when things like the SNL screw up happen, consumers have a choice.
That would be nice. Toledo has always gravitated towards Detroit anyway. It's in our blood! :rollin

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:57 pm

WOHO wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:52 am
WNWO was worse than a college intern running control. They ran a boatload of local spots DURING SNL, then had a static card, then ran the beginning of the POS Wrestling show 15 minutes early, then crashed that and went back to the NBC feed, which was a card of Eddie Murphy, ran a couple more spots, and then got back in time to SNL for the very end of the last skit and then the SNL sign-off. Hell, I could run a board better when I was 18 years old. WTF - is anybody physically at WNWO, or is it all BS from South Bend and only two reporters left in Toledo and an empty building the rest of the time? I'd rather have a local businessman - someone like Fraizer Reams III (if there was one) purchase WNWO outright, stay NBC, operate it locally using WTVG for a 15 minute newscast, and also buy/takeover the clusterf**k known as 48.1-48.4 with their incorrect virtual channels on their 36 RF frequencies, add CC, add program descriptions and continue to improve the AV quality and program them to COZI and Antenna TV showup in the 48's, not the 36 range. Yeah, I know, a pipedream to get something decent locally again on the UHF losers.
I agree. WNWO is extremely low tech. I still think 48 is the worst technical-wise. 24 is a very close second though. This is not the first time 24's had technical problems recently. It ought to be a small-market station.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic