All accepted registrations through December 9 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
blizzard
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:51 am

Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by blizzard » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:48 am




Radio Sucks
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by Radio Sucks » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Don Cherry is an arrogant ass who is past his prime. Instead of commemorating a solemn occasion he used Remembrance Day as an excuse to spout off like your drunk uncle after Christmas dinner. There's a big difference between "You know, there are a lot of people living in Canada who might not really understand the significance of this day, let me tell you a story about the poppy" and "you people love our milk and honey blah blah blah" Good riddance.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5320
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Extremely well stated, Radio Sucks. :)


Jackie Green is single-handedly ruining WLAV!

Realist
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by Realist » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:26 pm

Anytime the phrase “You people” is used as a predicate, the remainder of the statement generally isn’t going to end well...



bmw
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by bmw » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:03 am

Of the various youtube videos showing this story, the VAST MAJORITY of the comments came from Canadians who didn't think he should have been canned.



User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:28 am

Realist wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:26 pm
Anytime the phrase “You people” is used as a predicate, the remainder of the statement generally isn’t going to end well...
"You People" certainly has became a dirty phrase of our century.



km1125
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by km1125 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:42 am

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:28 am
Realist wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:26 pm
Anytime the phrase “You people” is used as a predicate, the remainder of the statement generally isn’t going to end well...
"You People" certainly has became a dirty phrase of our century.
The funny thing is, that those who really think what was said was bad are not trying to clarify who is and is not included in "you people", just offended at the phrase. They're not really denying or presenting opposition to the truth of what was said.



User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 393
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:38 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:42 am
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:28 am
Realist wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:26 pm
Anytime the phrase “You people” is used as a predicate, the remainder of the statement generally isn’t going to end well...
"You People" certainly has became a dirty phrase of our century.
The funny thing is, that those who really think what was said was bad are not trying to clarify who is and is not included in "you people", just offended at the phrase. They're not really denying or presenting opposition to the truth of what was said.
Says a lot about our paranoid society.



Radio Sucks
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by Radio Sucks » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:13 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:42 am
The funny thing is, that those who really think what was said was bad are not trying to clarify who is and is not included in "you people", just offended at the phrase. They're not really denying or presenting opposition to the truth of what was said.
A few questions:
1) What was "the truth" of what was said by Mr. Cherry?
2) What do you think "you people" meant in his statement?

I'm not offended by the phrase, I'm offended by the intent. I watched Mr. Cherry's comments. They are just another continuation of the lack of empathy or emotion for those that don't look like him. And let's face it - as soon as someone cries out against "you people" that infers that they are not "his people". Why aren't they all "our people" and we work together to teach them the history of the country?



User avatar
Vic Doucette
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:06 am
Location: Metro Detroit

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by Vic Doucette » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 am

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:28 am

"You People" certainly has became a dirty phrase of our century.
Back circa 1973, I took a class as a high school senior on minority groups. The final assignment was a lengthy paper on a minority group that the writer wasn't a member of.

In addition to the typical grading criteria, there was another factor we weren't told about until the papers were handed back. For every "they", "them", "those people", etc., in the paper, your score was docked.


Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

User avatar
Bryce
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:25 pm

This is Grape's exact quote:
"You people love — they come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey," Cherry said at the time. "The least you could pay is a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys pay the biggest price.”
I'm not sure I'm willing to buy that showing disdain for people, any people, that enjoy the fruits of ultimate sacrifice and fail to appreciate it is racist.

Would "You people that cling to God and Gun's are just ignorant." be considered racist?


Cain killed Abel with a rock. God blamed Cain, NOT the rock.

Radio Sucks
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by Radio Sucks » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:25 pm
This is Grape's exact quote:
"You people love — they come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey," Cherry said at the time. "The least you could pay is a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys pay the biggest price.”
I'm not sure I'm willing to buy that showing disdain for people, any people, that enjoy the fruits of ultimate sacrifice and fail to appreciate it is racist.

Would "You people that cling to God and Gun's are just ignorant." be considered racist?
1) I have not used the word "racist" at all.
2) The quote above is just as unacceptable as Mr. Cherry's, maybe even more.
3) For many reasons, people have emigrated to America and Canada since their founding. In the past, those "foreigners" have been slandered, discriminated against and mistreated. But somehow, Italians, Irish and the like became part of the country's fabric (Mr. Cherry's mother was an immigrant.) His use of divisive language does nothing to help the latest group begin to assimilate or even feel like they may one day be a part of "society." And that's the shame.

Mr. Cherry's comments are tribal and pit his people against the "other people." How does that help solve any current societal problem. I would have much more respect if he had said the same thing, with the same amount of anger, in a way that would have helped those who aren't wearing poppies search the meaning of their importance.



km1125
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by km1125 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Radio Sucks wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:13 am
km1125 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:42 am
The funny thing is, that those who really think what was said was bad are not trying to clarify who is and is not included in "you people", just offended at the phrase. They're not really denying or presenting opposition to the truth of what was said.
A few questions:
1) What was "the truth" of what was said by Mr. Cherry?
2) What do you think "you people" meant in his statement?

I'm not offended by the phrase, I'm offended by the intent. I watched Mr. Cherry's comments. They are just another continuation of the lack of empathy or emotion for those that don't look like him. And let's face it - as soon as someone cries out against "you people" that infers that they are not "his people". Why aren't they all "our people" and we work together to teach them the history of the country?
The "truth" was his opinion based on his observations.
I think when he said "you people", he was referring to relatively new groups of immigrants to the country who haven't assimilated to Canadian customs. In particular, apparently, some kind of custom to buy and display poppies as a show of support for veterans. I'm not that familiar with that custom though, so I'm not sure how widespread it really is. Perhaps it's just a local thing in his community?

Now, I didn't hear/read anybody saying "Hey Mr Cherry, I don't agree. In fact here's an example of some recent immigrants who are honoring vets... "



matt1
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by matt1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:34 am

I will sure miss Don's great & weird jackets that he wore on "Hockey Night In Canada" on CBC!!



fuzzpower
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:19 am

Wearing a poppy is a Commonwealth custom, going back to the end of WWI I believe. It’s not just his area.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic