Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WTOL may be removing MeTV

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
rugratsonline

Re: WTOL may be removing MeTV

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:06 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:52 pm
What amazed me about WMNT-CA in its analog days was their nightly airing of "Make Room for Daddy"/"Danny Thomas Show" -unedited, complete with cigarette commercials! In the 21st century! (American Tobacco Company was at least a sponsor if they didn't produce and deliver the program outright).
This would have gotten them in legal strife, especially if the cigarettes were still made. As I recall, when TV Land aired episodes of "I Love Lucy" with the original credits, they had to redo the credits due to the show's original sponsor, Phillip Morris. And when GSN aired old episodes of 1950s-era game shows (such as "To Tell The Truth" and "I've Got a Secret"), they often blacked out the sponsor's name if it was a cigarette brand.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:16 am

Maybe it's just me, but I think the FCC should have chopped and shredded the license. Just after W48AP call letters, the station has ALWAYS been a legal mess and a nightmare.

1) Where's the Lucas, Ottawa, Wood and Fulton County EAS activations? NEVER seen any. Whoops!

2) Jesse Weatherby is absent on CC complaints, per the FCC files. Always has been, since he took over. Call or write... no responses back. CC is still absent on WMNT.

3) Not sure its legal to overrun a network feed with your own barter spots. I know I at least informed 3 networks of programs and the network's advertisers of this. I think that's why CoziTV no longer has Buckeye, Levine Benjamin spots or barter anymore.

4)Carrier was always on, but "No Signal" was seen on the UPN feeds. This means Legal ID's were not properly done, if at all done. Proof that the staff didn't even watch their own product. Closures and tones were never utilized, just like all 3 current diginets, as in the past.

5) The scenario that got the previous owners in FCC hot water, ie., unlocked doors leading to unauthorized station access.

6) I clearly see that color levels and minimum brightness are not at FCC guidelines.

7) When has WMNT actually "served the community," as a requirement of CA and CD status? No sports, no news, no local productions or programs. Never saw anything local on there since "New Generation Television" started.

8 ) "CALM" law blatantly being ignored. It's not just local spots (see above). Remember, all audio must be uniform and correctly processed.

These are issues most of you may have missed, along with WMNT, itself. I know I may be the only person who's informed WMNT, the diginets and the FCC of all of these. Yet, WMNT stays on the air... regardless of proof. Says allot about all 3 of the prior mentioned.

I'd hate to see WMNT go away, with the sub channels. However, not even sure anyone would notice if it had. Would love to at least see AntennaTV and Cozi find new homes.

Toledo Eleven

Post by Toledo Eleven » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:09 am

I'm not sure about 48.1, but closed-captioning does work now on Antenna, THIS and COZI feeds. Never see station ID's on those channels, though. This weekend I saw them carrying Justice on 48.1 again. When going back and fourth with 11.2, the difference in quality was plain to see. I wish somebody local would buy the station and upgrade it.

Vintage Toledo & Detroit TV Stations Print Ads at
http://vintagetoledotv.squarespace.com/

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:00 am

Toledo Eleven, are you using an antenna to watch AntennaTV, or the Buckeye feed? I am using an antenna and can't decode the "CH48" program descriptions, the channel ID or the CC. It's like it's just an RF signal shot out without the proper virtual channel positioning info to remap the channel numbers so they aren't stuck in with the other WUPW 36 channels, which have the proper virtual channel data, program and channel data and CC. And one 48 channel now has a 4:3 ratio and blasting audio 9dB higher than their other channels. WTF. And that video on their main channel- 'oh how we care about the community and send me an email..." yeah, that will get read and you'll start to fix the problems. The lack of a working EAS for just even Lucas County is enough to pull the license, IMO.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:46 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:16 am
5) The scenario that got the previous owners in FCC hot water, ie., unlocked doors leading to unauthorized station access.
I'm surprised no one actually tried to attempt to pull off a Max Headroom or Captain Midnight on WMNT back at that time.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Toledo Eleven

Post by Toledo Eleven » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:05 pm

WOHO, I'm using an antenna also, and I agree with you about most the problems. To make tuning in even more confusing, on 2 of my sets, a while back 48.1 began coming in on 36.3, 48.2 on 36.4, 48.3 on 36.5 and 48.4 on 36.6. But now I can get closed captioning on three of their channels. I also noticed that their MY Network TV programming is never what's on Channel 20.2. I think they must be delaying it in order to run ads where they are supposed to be, but whatever is going on, it's one big mess.

Vintage Toledo & Detroit TV Stations Print Ads at
http://vintagetoledotv.squarespace.com/

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Toledo Eleven wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:05 pm
WOHO, I'm using an antenna also, and I agree with you about most the problems. To make tuning in even more confusing, on 2 of my sets, a while back 48.1 began coming in on 36.3, 48.2 on 36.4, 48.3 on 36.5 and 48.4 on 36.6. But now I can get closed captioning on three of their channels. I also noticed that their MY Network TV programming is never what's on Channel 20.2. I think they must be delaying it in order to run ads where they are supposed to be, but whatever is going on, it's one big mess.
This could be because WMNT moved from 48 to 36 RF. RF 36 is being confused with "36." My 18 (officially dead due to the resale back to the FCC) and channel 68 did that at one point. WDJT 68 is on RF 18. "18." and "My 18" were confused by the tuner. Not uncommon. Remember, if you type 26.1 on your tuner, WUPW "36.1" comes up. "23.1" brings "24.1" up as NBC 24. Think about this, to realize how your tuner gets confused.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Toledo Eleven wrote:
This could be because WMNT moved from 48 to 36 RF. RF 36 is being confused with "36.x". My 18 (officially dead due to the resale back to the FCC) and channel 68 did that at one point. WDJT 68 is on RF 18. "18.x" and "My 18" were confused by the tuner. Not uncommon. Remember, if you type 26.1 on your tuner, WUPW "36.1" comes up. "23.1" brings "24.1" up as NBC 24. "36.4" should only bring up CourtTV. However, could be confused for CoziTV. Think about this, to realize how your tuner gets confused.

To solve this issue easily, WUPW could do what FOX 33 did up north... rebrand to a new number as FOX 32. "FOX 26 - WUPW" does not sound bad. But remember, WMNT is screwing the law. If the FCC seriously decides to do something about WMNT's legality issues, this may not even be a problem. They, WMNT, may no longer exist.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:40 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:53 am
80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:30 am
Wonder if WLMB channel 40 would be interested in picking up MeTV. Seems like a good fit for them, since they air similar shows to MeTV, when they're not airing religious programming. They only have one subchannel, "Radiant TV" last I checked, so perhaps MeTV could be on 40-3.
It seems to be a perfect resurrection of "Worship", which many Christian-format TV stations ran overnight for more than a decade.

Notable is the fact that their postal address is in the local area and Dominion Broadcasting is shown as the entity - WLMB is the flagship station!

Overmeyer's dream of running a TV network from Toledo lives!😁

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:41 pm

mtburb wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:46 pm
TeddyBear wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:16 am
I'm surprised no one actually tried to attempt to pull off a Max Headroom or Captain Midnight on WMNT back at that time.
maybe they did but literally no one was watching the station, so no one noticed or complained....

basically the TV equivalent of "if a tree falls in the forest, but no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?" :P

but jesus... WNMT-CD makes CBET (CBC Windsor) and CHWI (CTV2 Windsor) look like superstations in comparison... just from picture quality alone!

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:13 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm
Toledo Eleven wrote:
This could be because WMNT moved from 48 to 36 RF. RF 36 is being confused with "36." My 18 (officially dead due to the resale back to the FCC) and channel 68 did that at one point. WDJT 68 is on RF 18. "18." and "My 18" were confused by the tuner. Not uncommon. Remember, if you type 26.1 on your tuner, WUPW "36.1" comes up. "23.1" brings "24.1" up as NBC 24. Think about this, to realize how your tuner gets confused.
It seems like they aren't transmitting their PSIP packet properly. If a DTV transmitter fails to send PSIP, receiving sets seem to default to "0" (zero) or whatever RF channel the set is tuned to (in this case, 36).

My own opinion: FCC should mandate that WMNT-CD transmit a proper PSIP, but throw in a carrot, specifically, the FCC should offer them the right for virtual channel 58, allowing the same branding to be seen by users of the local cable system and over-the-air TV users.

Tin Foil Antenna

Post by Tin Foil Antenna » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Looks like 13.4 is gonna be Circle, a new country music channel from the grand old opry according to a 13abc Facebook post on October 17th. It's a home grown Grey channel so no ""Start" or AntennaTV.

https://Youtu.be/4zi_AAPsL2c

TV is Just Radio With Pictures

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:19 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:13 pm
TeddyBear wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm
Toledo Eleven wrote:
It seems like they aren't transmitting their PSIP packet properly. If a DTV transmitter fails to send PSIP, receiving sets seem to default to "0" (zero) or whatever RF channel the set is tuned to (in this case, 36).

My own opinion: FCC should mandate that WMNT-CD transmit a proper PSIP, but throw in a carrot, specifically, the FCC should offer them the right for virtual channel 58, allowing the same branding to be seen by users of the local cable system and over-the-air TV users.
The stations have the "branding channel" rights to any number, PSIP. PSIP is not regulated. So if WMNT wanted to do so, they can call themselves "58.x" in PSIP. But remember, that could cause public confusion. Remember, some are still calling "13abc" as "Speedy 13."

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 pm

Tin Foil Antenna wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:36 pm
Looks like 13.4 is gonna be Circle, a new country music channel from the grand old opry according to a 13abc Facebook post on October 17th. It's a home grown Grey channel so no ""Start" or AntennaTV.

https://Youtu.be/4zi_AAPsL2c
I figured it would be corporate. Just thought it would have been investigate tv.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:10 am

RingtailedFox wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:41 pm
WNMT-CD makes CBET (CBC Windsor) and CHWI (CTV2 Windsor) look like superstations in comparison... just from picture quality alone!
Considering WMNT's rap sheet, it makes even small-market network affiliates like superstations.
TeddyBear wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:19 pm
The stations have the "branding channel" rights to any number, PSIP. PSIP is not regulated. So if WMNT wanted to do so, they can call themselves "58.x" in PSIP. But remember, that could cause public confusion. Remember, some are still calling "13abc" as "Speedy 13."
The only exception is if another station uses the same PSIP as they did in analog. WUPW is currently broadcasting on channel 46 and will soon move to channel 26, but its PSIP is still 36.x, reflecting its analog channel position. As a result by FCC regulations, WMNT must use 48.x as its PSIP, and cannot use its channel 36 frequency as the default, nor 58.x, after its cable channel position. If they broadcasted on, say, channel 35, they could have used 35.x as its PSIP. (Cadillac's WFQX is a prime example.) If they wanted to use 58.x, they would need to seek FCC permission first.

Several years ago, shortly after the 2009 digital switchover, WWSB channel 40 in Sarasota, Florida wanted to use "7.x" as its PSIP, based on its channel position on area cable systems (in imaging, they go by "ABC 7"). The FCC said no -- they must use either "40.x" (based on its analog channel) or "24.x" (its actual digital channel). They opted to stick with "40.x".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic