Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another horrendous book for Q105

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 14990

Re: Another horrendous book for Q105

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:26 am

When did Franz get 86'd? I'm at work during the drive home, so I have not had time to notice. I remember his stint at WSPD around 2004.

There just gonna run ESPN 24/7, until they sell 106.5, whenever that happens.

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:00 am

A couple notes from someone who's been out of the business for a few years:

I will give props to Lyn and Cliff. They're both extremely kind and hardworking. Anyone following the Shores and Steele era would have a challenge. I think given the circumstances, Cliff and Lyn are the two best for the job. Shores and Steele were groomed on afternoons together, they were able to sell product through their "Country Store," and their 90's and 2k following was crazy diehard. It's hard to follow that act. I think the market will adjust to the change. Is 98.3 in the way? Is country music starting to dip in popularity? I'm not educated on either but those could also be factors.

Also I'll give props to 92.5. That station is basically on auto pilot and is still able to own its share of the market. The station was built well, stayed fairly consistent through the years, and has never had a strong signaled song to song, talent to talent, competitor. It has paid off well for them.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:25 am

CurlyHoward wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:24 am
That awful fake local sports show with Bob Frantz got dropped from 106.5, in favor of running ESPN Radio 23 hours a day weekdays unless the Buckeyes play, and the ratings actually went up. That's funny.
I really was bummed when Norm was fired. Despite Bob once being a big name in the area around 2004-2005, no one seemed to really care he was back. I'm not surprised his show on 106.5 ended. His show was set in Cleveland, which has a different station on the same frequency. I'm surprised Mike Miller still has his show. The guy's about as exciting as watching paint dry. No personality at all.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:43 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:26 am
When did Franz get 86'd? I'm at work during the drive home, so I have not had time to notice. I remember his stint at WSPD around 2004.
I didn't know Frantz was gone until it got brought up on a Twitter thread involving the local morning host on 1230 yesterday. Apparently at the end of October.

I agree with everything expressed two posts below this. Norm Wamer is a nerd, but at least he knew his stuff and was actually local. Nobody ever cared Frantz was back because 1) the signal is shit, 2) everyone knew he was actually broadcasting from Cleveland and only talked Cleveland and OSU most of the time when half of Toledo wants Tigers/Lions/UM talk, and 3) everyone knows he's a political talk radio guy first, not a sports guy.

And yeah, Miller is horrible too. Isn't his show brokered? Otherwise what the hell is even the point of having a local show that's only an hour long?

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Wow! What happened! Legal ID at 1:48 pm. "@" in the media field in Stratus, along with 74 minutes of music per hour will keep us from knowing nobody is in the studio. Clearly Bru is VT'ed. Mistakes galore!

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:12 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:43 pm
WZRC 1067 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:26 am
I didn't know Frantz was gone until it got brought up on a Twitter thread involving the local morning host on 1230 yesterday. Apparently at the end of October.

I agree with everything expressed two posts below this. Norm Wamer is a nerd, but at least he knew his stuff and was actually local. Nobody ever cared Frantz was back because 1) the signal is shit, 2) everyone knew he was actually broadcasting from Cleveland and only talked Cleveland and OSU most of the time when half of Toledo wants Tigers/Lions/UM talk, and 3) everyone knows he's a political talk radio guy first, not a sports guy.

And yeah, Miller is horrible too. Isn't his show brokered? Otherwise what the hell is even the point of having a local show that's only an hour long?
IIRC, Frantz's show never was promoted anywhere during its run, which probably meant people didn't know it even existed. I never really listened to him, but how much did he know about Toledo sports? Regarding #3, he actually worked at WTAM doing a regular talk show prior to replacing Norm. He was one of Andy's hires when he first joined Cumulus.

Regarding Miller, his show is still brokered. I'm sure if it wasn't they'd probably run whatever ESPN Radio is running at that time. I wonder if his show still broadcasts live from the Monroe Superstore?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Is 98.3 in the way? Is country music starting to dip in popularity? I'm not educated on either but those could also be factors.
98.3 in the way?

Puh-leeeese. 98.3's ratings are terrible!! They are at or near an all-time record low!

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:17 pm
Is 98.3 in the way? Is country music starting to dip in popularity? I'm not educated on either but those could also be factors.
98.3 in the way?

Puh-leeeese. 98.3's ratings are terrible!! They are at or near an all-time record low!
WMIM 98.3 (Gnash Icon) is one of the least recievable stations in the area. Only 3400 watts. Most have trouble getting it in buildings. So ratings getting in the way?... not at all close. The Wolf probably is, but we cannot see the numbers... as they do not subscribe. The tilted "D" pattern is misleading. Most people in Monroe complain that the studio is downtown, but they cannot get the station in Monroe. That's why the COL was changed, when WMIM's signal was moved to WKKO's TX.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:01 pm

Would indeed be interesting to see 107.7 The Wolf's numbers. Too bad they don't subscribe. I wouldn't be surprised if they've gained in the ratings at K100's expense.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:01 pm
Would indeed be interesting to see 107.7 The Wolf's numbers. Too bad they don't subscribe. I wouldn't be surprised if they've gained in the ratings at K100's expense.
I'm guessing the Wolf has at least a 3 share. When they still subscribed, I believe they had a 3 share.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:26 pm

Norm Wamer is a nerd, but would be a valuable LOCAL sports source on either WTOD-FM or WCWA (in need of an FM translator).

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:02 am

There's no way 106.5 would give Norm a show. It's clearly being run as a total bare bones operation until whenever it is sold.

CWA has their (decent) local show in mornings already, then runs Patrick, Eisen and Cowherd the rest of the day. Popular national shows that they wouldn't be allowed to dump for Norm. Evenings would make no sense either because they often have Mud Hens, Walleye or Pistons games on.

At least Norm has his show Saturday nights on 24 still. Bizarre that he would do business with a Sinclair station given what I know of his politics, but whatever.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:32 am

CurlyHoward wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:02 am
Bizarre that he would do business with a Sinclair station given what I know of his politics, but whatever.
It's called "despiration." Its the same reason Bill Stewart gets paid $15 per shift of VT's at RQN. You do with whatever you get. At least it's not that douche Andrew Z.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:43 pm

I have never heard WCWA’s local show, mainly because I live too far north and rarely spend time in Toledo before 9AM. I know it is heavily promoted at Mud Hens games, obviously. I would love to see them get an afternoon show, I don’t think they’ve had one since the brokered days.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:40 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:02 am
There's no way 106.5 would give Norm a show. It's clearly being run as a total bare bones operation until whenever it is sold.

CWA has their (decent) local show in mornings already, then runs Patrick, Eisen and Cowherd the rest of the day. Popular national shows that they wouldn't be allowed to dump for Norm. Evenings would make no sense either because they often have Mud Hens, Walleye or Pistons games on.

At least Norm has his show Saturday nights on 24 still. Bizarre that he would do business with a Sinclair station given what I know of his politics, but whatever.
I actually have a family member who's a good friend of Norm. he told me after he was let go from the Ticket, he was at CWA to try to get a show and Iheart wouldn't hire him because of the reasons you mentioned with popular afternoon shows.

I think the only reason Norm has a show on 24 on Saturday nights is that WNWO is so cheap to run ANY news on Saturdays at all since they outsourced to South Bend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic