Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cool FM 95.1 and 100.7

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 14888

Re: Cool FM 95.1 and 100.7

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 pm

How strong is WCSX’s signal in Chatham? Is it strong enough for CKUE to have to be concerned, I personally doubt that Cool has to worry about CSX in Chatham, perhaps In Windsor it would be a different story.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:13 pm

All the Detroit's are strong in Chatham.Plus some of the Clev. FM's.

If CKUE was concerned it still wouldnt be what it is after all these years.Looks like theyre not.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:19 pm

One thing to understand is.....just bc its a local station doesnt mean those listeners are just going to keep punching it up.

If theyre not playing consistanly what you like you wont listen its like anywhere else.

Also rock fans are used to listening to Detroit rock stations in Windsor/Chatham its not foreign to us.We embraced it long ago from the days of W4 and Wheelz and in Chatham WMMS and probably still for classic rock WNCX or WCSX.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Sounds crazy but I liked the short lived Lite FM Format, But The Rock 94.3/ 95.1 was the Best.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Looks like Blackburn are hard heads to getting that Canuck radio starts when leaving the chatham/Kent city limits for Rock or Classic Rock formats.

If your imaging and attitude are not Detroit rocknroll it wont work.

Thats why they need a locally born music director and/or PD.

Bring this thread up next year at this time and we'll be talking same boring sheet.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Maybe if they lose their ass financially, and have to sell all the Chatham and Windsor stations it’s possible the new owners will know what to do, or just shut them down completely, both Windsor and Chatham are tough markets to make money because it’s close proximity to Detroit.

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 pm

They are tough markets for revenue these days but if you look at 89X they havent sounded better in years.

It can be done.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:10 pm

But are they making money, and money is not from The Detroit Area remember no more Detroit sales office, so how much Canadian Money is being made just between the 4 Bell Stations, AM 800 is The only money maker in Windsor that’s it, and how many stations total in Windsor roughly about a dozen way to many for a market of 300k population. What I would do is shutdown 100.7 completely, drop the Country format on 95.9 and simulcast 95.1 and bring back The Rock 95.1 and 95.9 what do you think? Blackburn can just simply call it The Rock 95 FM. As far as 92.7 in Leamington sell it to UCB Canada or some other small broadcasters.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:44 am

Like it or not, they can't just shut down 100.7. It intially was an on-channel repeater of 95.1 but moved and both increased power because the CRTC wanted both stations (95.1 and 100.7) to eventually grow into their own stations and boost power a bit more, instead of just one plus a repeater.

Aside from 93.1 (thanks to CFCO's FM translator on 92.9), all the Detroit stations boom into Chatham. I can pick most up starting around Dutton or West Lorne on Highway 401. 104.3 can be heard all the way to London on most days, thanks to their blowtorch transmitter. I know WMMS comes in well, but I don't know how well WNCX (98.5) comes in, since it might interfere with WDZH Detroit on 98.7...

92.7 tried going it alone as an AC station for Leamington and Kingsville, but that market was way too small (the combined population of those two towns is maybe 55,000), which is why it ended up becoming a repeater of 95.9, since they at least fill in the gaps of coverage of the other now. 92.7 picket-fences in a car stereo along E.C. Row Expressway in Windsor before becoming a 50-50 mix with whatever Detroit repeater is on 92.7 and 95.9 fades out between Essex and Cottam on Highway 3. The rationale for starting 92.7 in the first place was that Leamington as a radio market was too small to support two seperately-owned stations that were owned by competitors, but it WAS perhaps big enough to have a twinstick operation (two stations owned by the same broadcaster). Since Blackburn already owned 96.7 CHYR, they were given permission to launch a second station... it's a shame it never really panned out. They tried country first, then variety hits (as Max FM), then gave up and simulcasted country from Windsor.

I agree that Chatham, Sarnia and Windsor all lean heavily towards Detroit for hard rock, hair metal, classic rock and the like. Cancon can still work, IF you pick the right songs, as posted earlier. Gimme Red Rider, Rush, BTO, The Guess Who, Trooper, Triumph... yeah, a playlist like those would sound like a Canadian version of The D and would do quite well. Segueing from hard rock into Billy Joel??? unless that song is the lone (semi-) hard rock hit of his (We Didn't Start the Fire)... no. That's just an audio abomination. The transition is too jarring.

What I would recommend is a 70s-80s hard rock format with cancon hits thrown in to appeal to Chatham and Windsor listeners. LIke others have said, The D left a big opening in Detroit for a classic rock station and Blackburn could theoretically fill it on this side of the border (sorry Detroiters... their signals just don't reach too far in to your side of the area x.x) and become a ratings-winner... perhaps a 3-4 share in Windsor.

CIDR-FM (93.9) used to be a small profit-making station at least in Windsor (it was usually a lost cause in Detroit) but lately they've been running in the negative... Why is this? I'm glad CIMX (89X) is doing better and i'd like to see some sort of improvement at CKWW (580), but at least they have their eternal cash-cow, CKLW (AM 800). :P

UCB already has a station in Windsor (CJAH 90.5) and it appears to cover Leamington fairly well, so I don't think they'd be interested in another station. I think 92.7 has found its purpose as a fill-in translator, and it performs well enough. I doubt blackburn's going anywhere because they've been in the broadcasting business forever (if i remember, they were the original owners of CFPL-TV in London when it launched in 1953, right up until selling it to CFTO/Baton in 1993). They've been in media even longer, having owned the London Free Press from 1852 to 1997. The paper spun off a few radio ventures like CFPL-AM (1933) and CFPL-FM (1948) and the aforementioned CFPL-TV. CFPL-AM/-FM and CFHK-FM in Saint Thomas would be sold to Corus in 1999.

So.. yeah. Blackburn's been in it for the long haul and I don't see them making any catastrophic mistakes that threaten any of the stations or the company as a whole. I just wish they'd figure out what Chatham and Windsor listeners want so they can succeed here!

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Like it or not, they can't just shut down 100.7. It intially was an on-channel repeater of 95.1 but moved and both increased power because the CRTC wanted both stations (95.1 and 100.7) to eventually grow into their own stations and boost power a bit more, instead of just one plus a repeater.
I've read that last sentence or two in multiples places from multiple people. I am unsure if that statement is speculative, factual or purely legend in nature.

Here's why I say that - the on-channel booster at 95.1 MHz worked miserably.

There was a large zone between Windsor and Chatham where both 95.1's clashed resulting in a lot crackling and signal drops.

My guess is Blackburn lobbied the CRTC to use 100.7 MHz to improve service to Essex County and to rid CKUE listeners of the interference issue. While it might be possible to split 95.1 & 100.7 into separate stations, I doubt that was the primary motivation behind the CRTC granting the license change.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:15 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:44 am

Aside from 93.1 (thanks to CFCO's FM translator on 92.9), all the Detroit stations boom into Chatham. I can pick most up starting around Dutton or West Lorne on Highway 401. 104.3 can be heard all the way to London on most days, thanks to their blowtorch transmitter. I know WMMS comes in well, but I don't know how well WNCX (98.5) comes in, since it might interfere with WDZH Detroit on 98.7...

92.7 tried going it alone as an AC station for Leamington and Kingsville, but that market was way too small (the combined population of those two towns is maybe 55,000), which is why it ended up becoming a repeater of 95.9, since they at least fill in the gaps of coverage of the other now. 92.7 picket-fences in a car stereo along E.C. Row Expressway in Windsor before becoming a 50-50 mix with whatever Detroit repeater is on 92.7 and 95.9 fades out between Essex and Cottam on Highway 3. The rationale for starting 92.7 in the first place was that Leamington as a radio market was too small to support two seperately-owned stations that were owned by competitors, but it WAS perhaps big enough to have a twinstick operation (two stations owned by the same broadcaster). Since Blackburn already owned 96.7 CHYR, they were given permission to launch a second station... it's a shame it never really panned out. They tried country first, then variety hits (as Max FM), then gave up and simulcasted country from Windsor.

I agree that Chatham, Sarnia and Windsor all lean heavily towards Detroit for hard rock, hair metal, classic rock and the like. Cancon can still work, IF you pick the right songs, as posted earlier. Gimme Red Rider, Rush, BTO, The Guess Who, Trooper, Triumph... yeah, a playlist like those would sound like a Canadian version of The D and would do quite well. Segueing from hard rock into Billy Joel??? unless that song is the lone (semi-) hard rock hit of his (We Didn't Start the Fire)... no. That's just an audio abomination. The transition is too jarring.

What I would recommend is a 70s-80s hard rock format with cancon hits thrown in to appeal to Chatham and Windsor listeners. LIke others have said, The D left a big opening in Detroit for a classic rock station and Blackburn could theoretically fill it on this side of the border (sorry Detroiters... their signals just don't reach too far in to your side of the area x.x) and become a ratings-winner... perhaps a 3-4 share in Windsor.

CIDR-FM (93.9) used to be a small profit-making station at least in Windsor (it was usually a lost cause in Detroit) but lately they've been running in the negative... Why is this? I'm glad CIMX (89X) is doing better and i'd like to see some sort of improvement at CKWW (580), but at least they have their eternal cash-cow, CKLW (AM 800). :P

UCB already has a station in Windsor (CJAH 90.5) and it appears to cover Leamington fairly well, so I don't think they'd be interested in another station. I think 92.7 has found its purpose as a fill-in translator, and it performs well enough. I doubt blackburn's going anywhere because they've been in the broadcasting business forever (if i remember, they were the original owners of CFPL-TV in London when it launched in 1953, right up until selling it to CFTO/Baton in 1993). They've been in media even longer, having owned the London Free Press from 1852 to 1997. The paper spun off a few radio ventures like CFPL-AM (1933) and CFPL-FM (1948) and the aforementioned CFPL-TV. CFPL-AM/-FM and CFHK-FM in Saint Thomas would be sold to Corus in 1999.

So.. yeah. Blackburn's been in it for the long haul and I don't see them making any catastrophic mistakes that threaten any of the stations or the company as a whole. I just wish they'd figure out what Chatham and Windsor listeners want so they can succeed here!
great post and well said........

Thats the frustrating part of Blackburn and theyre various attempts at a rock type format in Windsor/Chatham, that they cant see why its not doing well.And its right in front of them...........

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:18 pm

I stopped listening due to the new classic rock lean

Music is my life.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:42 pm

A little perspective on Cool FM's popularity, comparing them to similar size cities on facebook likes............

Cool FM....2700 likes

WXKR 94,5 Classic Rock..........12,000

Wheelz 104.5 Classic Rock........8,000

Free FM 98.1 London;s Classic Rock.......13,000

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Oldies 84 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 pm
Sounds crazy but I liked the short lived Lite FM Format, But The Rock 94.3/ 95.1 was the Best.
I was in LOVE with their Lite FM format.
So much better than 98.7

I learned so many awesome Canadian songs too

Music is my life.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:24 pm

The first casualty of the new 106.7 Detroit's Wheelz is 100.7 Cool FM here on the Windsor side, as the original WLLZ was such a fav on this side of the river.Alot of Wild Wheelz Wednesdays at California's Musical Road House 911 Walker Road....lol.

The general manager of Blackburn radio immediately after finding out about the format flip ran out and bought 2 big bottles of Tums.......the ulcer is acting up again I hear. :barf

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic