Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CHUR AM 840 North Bay

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 14803

CHUR AM 840 North Bay

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:01 pm

I do know that back in 90’s CHUR moved to FM 100.5, But can anyone remember when it was on AM 840, Was the signal that bad on AM that it had to move any ideas? Did WHAS interfere with CHUR 840?

innate-in-you

Re: CHUR AM 840 North Bay

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 pm

I heard CHUR exactly once, at night, almost even with WHAS (receive site at time = East side of Detroit proper, near Cadieux & I-94).

Must have had their pattern out of whack that night.

At a convention many years ago, another radio fan, living in Ontario, told me that there were places on the transmitter site property where WHAS was stronger than CHUR! I guess only a brand-new array could do that.

WHAS would certainly cause some interference to CHUR at night, but mitigated by the fact that the skywave at 840 is relatively weak when compared to a channel near the top of the band. My not-so-educated guess would be that CHUR had an NIF of about 15mV/m. North Bay is small enough that they could have fit their coverage area inside that 15mV/m easily.

The real reason to go FM would have been stereo receiver availability. Canada promoted AM stereo for CHR stations, with the position that FM was suitable for easy listening and fine arts.
That fell apart with NAFTA, which meant that most cars in Canada were US-built, and support for AM stereo was dead.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic