Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

1320 WDMJ Marquette VERY weak

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
MetalUpYourAss1973

1320 WDMJ Marquette VERY weak

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:27 pm

What is the problem with this station now? I'm told that is the only local radio station broadcasting Detroit Red Wings games, and their signal can't even make it to Negaunee in the middle of the day. It only gets out a mile or so at night. I mean what is the point even??

Seriously though, does anybody have any information on this?

matt1

Re: 1320 WDMJ Marquette VERY weak

Post by matt1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:48 pm

Because of more snow???

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:29 am

They are on 200 watts STA into a long wire STA because of a tower failure.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... _num=24448

In the good old days, they were 5000 watts Days, 1000 watts Night with a 3 tower DA at Night. Then they decided to sell off the land that two of the towers were on and take those down. Then the remaining tower apparently collapsed, requiring the use of a long wire antenna.

https://fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php?ta ... 1&sHours=N

This shows WUPZ 94.9 as the affiliate.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/multimedia ... affiliates

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:05 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:29 am
They are on 200 watts STA into a long wire STA because of a tower failure.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... _num=24448

In the good old days, they were 5000 watts Days, 1000 watts Night with a 3 tower DA at Night. Then they decided to sell off the land that two of the towers were on and take those down. Then the remaining tower apparently collapsed, requiring the use of a long wire antenna.

https://fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php?ta ... 1&sHours=N

This shows WUPZ 94.9 as the affiliate.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/multimedia ... affiliates
200 watts on a longwire sounds like "backyard mechanics" at its finest. Why even bother at that point? I wonder if Radio Results Network has any intention of fixing that problem or coming up with a different plan (FM maybe?)

I actually asked somebody at 94.9 why the games aren't being broadcast and they told me I'd have to listen at 1320 WDMJ now, and that affiliate list isn't fully current. They really haven't followed up on the conversation since I've stated my reception issues. Now it looks like I am SOL trying to listen while I'm driving at work in Ishpeming and Negaunee.

I'm assuming that their simulcast on 1240 WIAN isn't returning to the air anytime soon? Haven't heard that station in years.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:33 pm

1240 is gone. Turned in their license.

Can you get WXYT 1270 AM at Night? There's a null toward WMKT Charlevoix and then a minor lobe out your way.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=28627

Zoom out on the map. Looks like you might be able to hear it sometimes. Probably a lot of WMKT interference.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:44 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:33 pm
1240 is gone. Turned in their license.

Can you get WXYT 1270 AM at Night? There's a null toward WMKT Charlevoix and then a minor lobe out your way.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=28627

Zoom out on the map. Looks like you might be able to hear it sometimes. Probably a lot of WMKT interference.
I have actually tried that since I knew about 1270 being from down that way. Way too much noise and mixing for that to work up here. I am able to snag 600 WCHT Escanaba during daytime hours with some static in certain locations, but once evening rolls around it starts blending with other stations.

RRN, if you're listening, PLEASE give me something to work with here!!

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:37 pm

This won't be a helpful suggestion for mobile listening, but if you haven't invested in an upgraded AM antenna for your home or office receiver, you might consider doing so.

I've been using a Terk AM Advantage for long-distance reception for years. I can pick up Escanaba's WCHT and WDBC reliably on their daytime pattern from downstate Manistee. Nighttime listening is hit-or-miss with WMT and CJOB coming in on top of the Esky stations. WCHT signs off at night nowadays, too.

But reliable WXYT reception probably isn't gonna happen. I've tried the AM Advantage on 1270 from US-2 near Rapid River both day and night and only WMKT is audible.

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:43 pm

WC8KCY wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:37 pm
This won't be a helpful suggestion for mobile listening, but if you haven't invested in an upgraded AM antenna for your home or office receiver, you might consider doing so.

I've been using a Terk AM Advantage for long-distance reception for years. I can pick up Escanaba's WCHT and WDBC reliably on their daytime pattern from downstate Manistee. Nighttime listening is hit-or-miss with WMT and CJOB coming in on top of the Esky stations. WCHT signs off at night nowadays, too.

But reliable WXYT reception probably isn't gonna happen. I've tried the AM Advantage on 1270 from US-2 near Rapid River both day and night and only WMKT is audible.
Mobile is the only situation where I would need game audio since when I'm home I do have access to all networks that would show the game on TV. I am able to access the game audio using my XM subscription, but they only supply the home audio feed, which means half the time I'm forced to listen to the "other guys" call the game. I guess that's better than nothing at all, but when RRN had the Wing's announcers on an FM signal this was NEVER as issue.

RRN has really dropped the ball on this one, and I'm calling them out for screwing the fans over like this.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:18 am

Well, I see WCHT got an FM translator on 93.5 this past November; that might provide an option when DX conditions are up.

Here's hoping they set up WDMJ with a translator once they sort out that hot mess.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:14 am

When I was in college I remember WDMJ's brief, (1988/1989) AOR period. No other programming I'll ever hear will ever be as cool.
30 years later I still miss it, (especially when I listen to WCSX.)

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:56 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:14 am
When I was in college I remember WDMJ's brief, (1988/1989) AOR period. No other programming I'll ever hear will ever be as cool.
30 years later I still miss it, (especially when I listen to WCSX.)
My memories go back to riding the bus in the early 80s to school where they only had AM radios. We used to listen to Q107 when it was on AM 970 and once in a blue moon the driver would throw on WJPD when it was on AM 1240. I don't remember AM 1320 being a thing then, but I was pretty young so who knows. I do remember 1240 and 1320 being separate entities as far as programming goes back then.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:23 pm

I graduated Northern Michigan in 1990 so my memories of that station end at that point. Sorry about the Red Wings games.

Here is an example of their playlist:

Pete Townsend / Forever's No Time At All
Joe Walsh / Meadows
Pere Ubu / Waiting For Mary
The National Lampoon Hour
Todd Rundgren / For The Want Of A Nail / We Got To Get You A Woman
Van Morrison / Blue Money / Wavelength / St Dominic's Preview
Guess Who / Rain Dance / Glamour Boy (25,000 Dollars you can look like your sister tonight.)
BTO / Blue Collar
Robin Trower / In City Dreams / Caledonia / Long Misty Days
Eric Clapton / The Core
Rolling Stones / Moonlight Mile
The Who / 5:15
Thin Lizzy / Cowboy Song / Dancing In The Moonlight (I always get chocolate stains on my pants)

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:29 am

sfpcc wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:23 pm
I graduated Northern Michigan in 1990 so my memories of that station end at that point. Sorry about the Red Wings games.

Here is an example of their playlist:

Joe Walsh / Meadows
Pere Ubu / Waiting For Mary
The National Lampoon Hour
Todd Rundgren / For The Want Of A Nail / We Got To Get You A Woman
Van Morrison / Blue Money / Wavelength / St Dominic's Preview
Guess Who / Rain Dance / Glamour Boy (25,000 Dollars you can look like your sister tonight.)
BTO / Blue Collar
Robin Trower / In City Dreams / Caledonia / Long Misty Days
Eric Clapton / The Core
Rolling Stones / Moonlight Mile
The Who / 5:15
Thin Lizzy / Cowboy Song / Dancing In The Moonlight (I always get chocolate stains on my pants)

That is crazy that I recognize almost every artist in the list, but I don't know a single song you just posted. Be that as it may, that sounds like my kind of station just the same as every other station playing that era of music is probably playing ONLY the top hits by said artists.

And honestly I don't know what's worse right now...not being able to listen to the games (because of stupidity by RRN) or actually having to listen to the terrible gameplay by the Wings these last few years. I'm still a fan though and would appreciate it if RRN would take this seriously rather than ignoring the problem.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:10 pm

Apologies if this seems like a post hijack. Actually Forever's No Time At All was sung Billy Nichols. It's on Pete Townsend's first solo album Who Came First, (great song by the way.)

Other songs they played:

Rush / Twilight Zone
Graham Nash / Immigration Man / Take The Money And Run
Stephen Stills / Johnny's Garden
Lovin Spoonful / Nashville Cats
Outlaws / Green Grass And High Tides
Grateful Dead/ Shakedown Street / The Music Never Stopped
Neil Young / Like A Hurricane
Dan Fogelberg / Part Of The Plan

Does anyone out there remember this station?

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:09 pm

I liked it in the days when it was a standards station. We always went to Marquette every summer, before the schools closed (my wife was a teacher).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic