Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WIAN Dead

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
bigjer54

WIAN Dead

Post by bigjer54 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:13 pm

Deleted User 15342

Re: WIAN Dead

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:06 am

AM stations are starting to die. In this decade we will see the thinning out of the AM dial. FM will continue to be strong for decades to come, but only if FM radio gives listeners what they want and the stations stay relevant. Internet radio will get stronger but will not replace FM radio.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:05 pm

Surprised they didn't get a translator. Some of the Class IVs still do well if the TL is centrally located.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

WIAN Began As WJPD (AM)

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:05 pm

Historical Personality began radio career at WJPD.

http://user.pa.net/~ejjeff/kqvkrisstevens.html

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Marquette already has a bazillion FM stations available. At some point, I suspect we'll see a thinning of the herd, much like what's occurred recently in northern lower Michigan.

A single broadcaster only needs so many signals; after a certain point, the "law of diminishing returns" sets in.

I can see why an FM translator either wasn't pursued or scrapped for AM 1240. No need to keep the station on the air when an HD2 or HD3 can be used instead to feed programming to a translator.

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:41 pm
Marquette already has a bazillion FM stations available. At some point, I suspect we'll see a thinning of the herd, much like what's occurred recently in northern lower Michigan.

A single broadcaster only needs so many signals; after a certain point, the "law of diminishing returns" sets in.

I can see why an FM translator either wasn't pursued or scrapped for AM 1240. No need to keep the station on the air when an HD2 or HD3 can be used instead to feed programming to a translator.
That's actually a great idea, but WHEN is somebody in the area going to actually do something like that? I know 103.3 does it, but it only includes channels that are already on the air locally. That is a waste of HD space as they COULD find other niche formats to serve the community with. I mean why can't 103.3 do country, 90s country, classic country, and a talk format. 101.9 could do AC, 80s hits, casey casem classic countdown channel (there really is one), and easy listening. 100.3 could do classic hits, "we play everything", standards, and rock AC. 97.1 could do CHR, Rhythmic CHR, Urban Hits, and classic R&B.

I'm just brainstorming here, but why can't the "big sticks" put some programming on them to lure us away from the likes of Sirius XM Radio...just as an example? HD Radio is more standard in a lot of cars nowadays, so why not?

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:04 pm

MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

That's actually a great idea, but WHEN is somebody in the area going to actually do something like that? I know 103.3 does it, but it only includes channels that are already on the air locally. That is a waste of HD space as they COULD find other niche formats to serve the community with. I mean why can't 103.3 do country, 90s country, classic country, and a talk format. 101.9 could do AC, 80s hits, casey casem classic countdown channel (there really is one), and easy listening. 100.3 could do classic hits, "we play everything", standards, and rock AC. 97.1 could do CHR, Rhythmic CHR, Urban Hits, and classic R&B.

I'm just brainstorming here, but why can't the "big sticks" put some programming on them to lure us away from the likes of Sirius XM Radio...just as an example? HD Radio is more standard in a lot of cars nowadays, so why not?
Because no one cares about a dead technology walking. HD Radio has no future.

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:20 am

Lucky615 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:04 pm
MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

Because no one cares about a dead technology walking. HD Radio has no future.
That's really too bad to hear that. 103.3 could really leave their HD as it is now and remove the other stations that have their own separate transmitters from the air and not lose anything. You could either save money doing it that way, or add formats that you wouldn't have normally. HD103.3 probably has a better distance reach than the analog versions of their HD subchannels.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:33 pm

HD is needed for the translators.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:53 am

audiophile wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:33 pm
HD is needed for the translators.
That’s the only thing that is productive for HD, but we truly didn’t need translators in areas like Detroit. HD radio and translators are actually destroying the FM band with interference and overcrowding.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic