All accepted registrations through February 15, 2019 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

3-WJMN and Charter to end on soon.

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
++++

3-WJMN and Charter to end on soon.

Post by ++++ » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:51 am

WJMN airing announcements that there's problems between the two. Prompted to get Dish, etc....

I've heard of disputes before and they usually get ironed out. It's I guess, who blinks first.

Where does the must carry rule come in?

audiophile

Re: 3-WJMN and Charter to end on soon.

Post by audiophile » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:44 am

Must-carry only applies if it's free, IIRC.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

++++

Post by ++++ » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Jan 5, WJMN is on Charter Cable. I do not know if it was ever off of Charter. There was a dispute between the two.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:20 pm

WJMN never went off of Charter.
Nexstar and Charter reached an 11th hour retransmission consent deal on New Year's Eve.

B&C, Charter Nexstar Reach Retrans Pact

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:04 pm

audiophile wrote:Must-carry only applies if it's free, IIRC.
I believe you're correct. If a station elects must-carry, they forfeit their right to compensation.

I never really understood the whole retransmission consent thing. Wouldn't it be to a station's overall advantage to be carried on every platform available and reach as many potential viewers as possible? The only advantage I could see in a retransmission agreement is that once it's inked, it's a guaranteed income stream for the broadcaster regardless of whether ad revenue is up or down. One has to wonder though....with all the standoffs we hear about these days, is pursuing such agreements really a worthwhile gamble?

It's okay to be bored once in a while.

Gil

Post by Gil » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote: I never really understood the whole retransmission consent thing. Wouldn't it be to a station's overall advantage to be carried on every platform available and reach as many potential viewers as possible?
That has always been the cable side of the argument. One cable manager even told me he felt we should be paying his company to be carried.

Of course, it's very easy to prove with ratings and other research that the bulk of cable viewing has been to the main networks, showing how valuable broadcast TV is to a cable system (although it is rapidly shifting as cable channels produce more and better original programing). I was involved in the original retransmission battles, where broadcasters (for the most part) blinked first. It was an interesting fight, very nasty.

Now, as audiences are more and more segmented, it hasn't gotten any easier to negotiate. Cable companies pass the fees on to their subscribers. Networks want to take the fees away from local affiliates. I am happy to be retired.

"Make way, TV coming through!" -Glen Loyd

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic