All accepted registrations through June 15 at 7:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

WDHS Iron Mountain

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
swiat

Re: WDHS Iron Mountain

Post by swiat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:47 am

ftballfan wrote:
myluvforradio wrote:WLUC or WJMN should try and get their hands on this signal. Neither get a decent signal into Iron Mountain or Northern Wisconsin. WZMQ could also benefit.
If Sinclair were to get their hands on channel 8, I bet it would be FOX on 8.1 and NBC on 8.2
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What makes sense to me is to set up WDHS and WLUC like WBKP and WBUP. Basically..
WLUC 6.1 = NBC HD
WLUC 6.2 = FOX SD
WDHS 8.1 = FOX HD
WDHS 8.2= NBC HD

The two coverage patterns would complement each other greatly. It baffles me WLUC has such a crappy transmitter this long after the transition date. The signal does not even cover MQT county.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 pm

swiat wrote:
ftballfan wrote:
myluvforradio wrote:WLUC or WJMN should try and get their hands on this signal. Neither get a decent signal into Iron Mountain or Northern Wisconsin. WZMQ could also benefit.
If Sinclair were to get their hands on channel 8, I bet it would be FOX on 8.1 and NBC on 8.2
What makes sense to me is to set up WDHS and WLUC like WBKP and WBUP. Basically..
WLUC 6.1 = NBC HD
WLUC 6.2 = FOX SD
WDHS 8.1 = FOX HD
WDHS 8.2= NBC HD

The two coverage patterns would complement each other greatly. It baffles me WLUC has such a crappy transmitter this long after the transition date. The signal does not even cover MQT county.
Sinclair does exactly that with WPBN, WTOM, WGTU, and WGTQ just one market over.
7.1/4.1 - NBC HD
7.2/4.2 - ABC SD
29.1/8.1 - ABC HD
29.2/8.2 - NBC SD

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:22 am

Iron Mountain is located within the FCC.gov's coverage area of Rhinelander's WJFW. WLUC would not even be able to put a translator there unless they changed network affiliations.

The only chance for NBC on WDHS would be as a WJFW rebroadcaster. I'm sure WLUC and WGBA would have something to say about that.

Hamming it up on 2m and 70cm

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 am

WC8KCY wrote:Iron Mountain is located within the FCC.gov's coverage area of Rhinelander's WJFW. WLUC would not even be able to put a translator there unless they changed network affiliations.

The only chance for NBC on WDHS would be as a WJFW rebroadcaster. I'm sure WLUC and WGBA would have something to say about that.

If TV6 was smart they would buy the whole channel 8 setup and move it to their current site near republic, and then move their current channel 35 setup to a location around Marquette since they get screwed every time a transmitter is setup in Republic. Channel 10 and 13 get out a lot better than 35 does now, and by moving TV6 back to VHF at a higher power it would serve its intended area a lot better.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 am

MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:
WC8KCY wrote:Iron Mountain is located within the FCC.gov's coverage area of Rhinelander's WJFW. WLUC would not even be able to put a translator there unless they changed network affiliations.

If TV6 was smart they would buy the whole channel 8 setup and move it to their current site near republic, and then move their current channel 35 setup to a location around Marquette since they get screwed every time a transmitter is setup in Republic. Channel 10 and 13 get out a lot better than 35 does now, and by moving TV6 back to VHF at a higher power it would serve its intended area a lot better.
That never occurred to me...WLUC could acquire WDHS and move the Channel 8 allocation to Republic. Brilliant! That would likely get a LOT of lost post-transition viewers back online with a usable signal.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:42 pm

WC8KCY wrote:
MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:

That never occurred to me...WLUC could acquire WDHS and move the Channel 8 allocation to Republic. Brilliant! That would likely get a LOT of lost post-transition viewers back online with a usable signal.
I think WLUC could probably get a failed station waiver for Channel 8. And I don't think WJFW reaches the western UP anymore since the transition. I also think WDHS would have been able to move to Republic during the analog days as WBUP was inserted in and both 8 and 10 were co-channel with Soo stations.

swiat

Post by swiat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Agreed. I think the problem with WLUC is that their hardline at the site can only support so much transmission power. They probably never swapped it out like WJMN did to support 1 MW. I bet it is the same line as when WLUC was 316,000 W VHF 6. That means it can handle even less at UHF. So, to go to VHF 8 and then run, say 25 or 40kW, they'd be far better off then they are now with 63 kW at UHF 35.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. They need a VHF signal and this is the perfect opportunity to get one. VHF is only bad with thunderstorms but given the low amount of severe summer weather in the U.P. it makes a bunch of sense to purchase the VHF 8 allotment.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:07 am

Sinclair could probably get a failed station waiver and purchase it outright and possibly move it closer to Marquette. If I were Sinclair, I would put FOX on 8.1 and NBC on 8.2. However, if it were moved closer to Marquette, I would think about moving NBC to 8.1 and putting FOX on 35 (6.1)

swiat

Post by swiat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:15 pm

I emailed the guys at WLUC about this idea of moving WDHS RF8 to Republic and using it to broadcast virtual channel 6. Now let's see if it happens. It's a great idea.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:43 pm

This is hilarious.
Look at what station in this market has the highest opening bid in the spectrum auction.

WJMN $0 (Not needed)
WBKP $3,983,300
WLUC $0 (Not needed)
WDHS $30,005,640
WBUP $14,688,540
WNMU $24,783,300
WZMQ $0 (Not needed)

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:23 pm

I see WDHS had its license yanked recently

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:15 pm

11/19/2015, to be precise. It's about time.

I wonder how many full-power commercial VHF allocations are vacant east of the Mississippi. There can't be many.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:16 am

WC8KCY wrote:11/19/2015, to be precise. It's about time.

I wonder how many full-power commercial VHF allocations are vacant east of the Mississippi. There can't be many.
Time for WLUC to consider moving its RF signal from 35 to 8.

With the latest TV reallocation potentially eliminating everything above RF 36, WJMN (RF 48) would have to move. Here's how I think it should go:

WLUC moves from RF 35 to RF 8 (at somewhere around 30kW)

WZMQ moves from RF 19 to RF 35 (with the power WLUC is currently running, which is more than what WZMQ is running on 19)

WJMN moves from RF 48 to RF 19 (at 1MW)

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:48 pm

ftballfan wrote:
WC8KCY wrote:11/19/2015, to be precise. It's about time.

Time for WLUC to consider moving its RF signal from 35 to 8.

With the latest TV reallocation potentially eliminating everything above RF 36, WJMN (RF 48) would have to move. Here's how I think it should go:

WLUC moves from RF 35 to RF 8 (at somewhere around 30kW)

WZMQ moves from RF 19 to RF 35 (with the power WLUC is currently running, which is more than what WZMQ is running on 19)

WJMN moves from RF 48 to RF 19 (at 1MW)

Let's not be shy here. TV6 has been Marquette's main TV station for MANY years and needs to max out that summbitch. It's VERY sad that I could pick up TV6 in my basement with barely anything for an antenna before the transition over to digital, but now a rooftop antenna pointed directly at the tower with a preamp can't even do the trick.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:45 pm

Looks like WNMU is going into the auction but, sound like they're staying on the air. I guess they're opting for the low VHF move.
http://www.centredaily.com/news/busines ... 92050.html

I can't blame them.
After looking at the annual financial reports of PBS stations around the state it appeared WNMU had the least revenue (about $750,000) and the largest operating loss ($1.2 million).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic