All accepted registrations through June 15 at 7:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

WDHS Iron Mountain

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
alberto

WDHS Iron Mountain

Post by alberto » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:14 pm

The test patterns are back on channels 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 & 8.4.

hereornot

Re: WDHS Iron Mountain

Post by hereornot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Time for that yearly test so Withers can keep the license.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:43 am

Withers is to TV as Roy Henderson is to radio (Traverse City area)

GREATLAKESVET

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:25 pm

Seriously, why does Withers hang on to this "station". If he thinks WDHS is a diamond in the rough and there are people willing to pay big $$$$'s for the license and transmitter, he really needs to brush up on his history of this clunker. John R. Pooley(sp?) was granted the license decades ago and didn't or couldn't make this dodo fly. Reverend Danny Hood then found that Moses had an easier time parting the Red Sea than Hood would getting this to be a successful teleministry. If Withers has some grand plan to for this giant lump of coal, why has it not yet started to shine? Put it on the air, find someone who can and will or just turn in the ticket and move on.
Last edited by GREATLAKESVET on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Lakes Vet

hereornot

Post by hereornot » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:07 pm

If the transmitter could me moved NE, you could serve Marquette. With sub channels, you could make some cash. Problem is a Withers wants a couple million for WDHS at its current state, which is just unreasonable.

GREATLAKESVET

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 pm

heretonot said:
If the transmitter could me moved NE, you could serve Marquette. With sub channels, you could make some cash. Problem is a Withers wants a couple million for WDHS at its current state, which is just unreasonable.
htn, I think a better description would be delusional.

Great Lakes Vet

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am

And to think they displaced a perfectly good commercial TV translator for this can of worms.

I bet more than a few people in the Iron Mountain area still miss the WLUC-TV translator on channel 8, W08BG, especially after the DTV transition.

Hamming it up on 2m and 70cm

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:13 pm

WDHS, if it had better owners in the mid-1990s, could have made a good FOX or ABC affiliate for the Upper Peninsula, especially with most everyone having cable or satellite, even back then.
If the FCC was strict about matters like this, WDHS would have lost its license years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:31 am

WBKP Channel 5 in Calumet had the DMA's ABC affiliation by the mid-1990's. They immediately became the ABC affiliate of choice on Charter's central and west-central UP cable systems. It wasn't long before they had W28BX on the air from Marquette, which was eventually replaced by full-service WBUP in Ishpeming.

I think WDHS could have gotten the Fox affiliation for the UP during the time in which WXGZ Channel 32 in Appleton was the Green Bay area affiliate, as there would have been little signal overlap between channels 8 and 32. Once the Fox affiliation moved to WGBA Channel 26, having Fox on Channel 8 would have seriously infringed upon WGBA's northern Wisconsin viewing area.

Hamming it up on 2m and 70cm

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:47 pm

I guess you all haven't heard the news. Russ Withers died a couple weeks ago. I don't know anything more than that, as it was repoted on All Access.

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:41 pm

WC8KCY wrote:WBKP Channel 5 in Calumet had the DMA's ABC affiliation by the mid-1990's. They immediately became the ABC affiliate of choice on Charter's central and west-central UP cable systems. It wasn't long before they had W28BX on the air from Marquette, which was eventually replaced by full-service WBUP in Ishpeming.

I think WDHS could have gotten the Fox affiliation for the UP during the time in which WXGZ Channel 32 in Appleton was the Green Bay area affiliate, as there would have been little signal overlap between channels 8 and 32. Once the Fox affiliation moved to WGBA Channel 26, having Fox on Channel 8 would have seriously infringed upon WGBA's northern Wisconsin viewing area.
Green Bay's FOX affiliate is WLUK channel 11 and has been since the 90s at least.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:53 pm

MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:
WC8KCY wrote:WBKP Channel 5 in Calumet had the DMA's ABC affiliation by the mid-1990's. They immediately became the ABC affiliate of choice on Charter's central and west-central UP cable systems. It wasn't long before they had W28BX on the air from Marquette, which was eventually replaced by full-service WBUP in Ishpeming.

Green Bay's FOX affiliate is WLUK channel 11 and has been since the 90s at least.
WLUK swapped affiliations with WGBA in 1994 or 1995

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:36 pm

ftballfan wrote:WDHS, if it had better owners in the mid-1990s, could have made a good FOX or ABC affiliate for the Upper Peninsula, especially with most everyone having cable or satellite, even back then.
Considering that Marquette already has the Big 4, plus CW, My Network TV, and subchannel nets Me-TV, This TV and Antenna TV, the ship has already sailed. The only hope for WDHS would be as a satellite of one of the stations.
ftballfan wrote: If the FCC was strict about matters like this, WDHS would have lost its license years ago.
A television station in Alabama tried this same stunt in 2008, a few days after its license was about to be cancelled for inactivity -- the FCC didn't buy the excuse, and cancelled the license anyway in 2009:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYLE_%28TV%29

myluvforradio

Post by myluvforradio » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:59 am

WLUC or WJMN should try and get their hands on this signal. Neither get a decent signal into Iron Mountain or Northern Wisconsin. WZMQ could also benefit.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:20 pm

myluvforradio wrote:WLUC or WJMN should try and get their hands on this signal. Neither get a decent signal into Iron Mountain or Northern Wisconsin. WZMQ could also benefit.
If Sinclair were to get their hands on channel 8, I bet it would be FOX on 8.1 and NBC on 8.2

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic