All accepted registrations through June 15 at 7:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

Marquette's 94.9 97.1 and 107.7

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
++++

Marquette's 94.9 97.1 and 107.7

Post by ++++ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:56 pm

I am, have never been in radio but I am a geek and have followed radio for the better part of 50 years.

Listening to CC stations w/generic jocks, no calls given, Premium Choice, mis-cued, empty air, etc....

I really wish: Magic 97, 94.9 and 107.7 would have a LOCAL CHART on their websites. CC stations do.

I'd like to think the 15 year old kid likes to see what is #1 this week vs the American Top40/Rick/etc corporate listings! U P is "someplace special", people!

Magic 97 used to have "TJ's Top30" Friday afternoons years ago. Could Mike Junior do a similar listing?

Q107 and Magic both had Top 8 at 8 stuff. I don't remember Q ever having a Top30 countdown. I stand to be corrected.

Q107 is NOT AC. To me, it is a very, adult leaning CHR/Top40. AC doesn't play Muse or some of the stuff I hear: Blister in the Sun, for example. A listen to U-93 (WNDV South Bend) might bear me out.

The 80s and 90s are done! They're gone! Maybe 1 song an hour. The "instant requests" should be once, in am drive, maybe. Songs within the format OR Have a Saturday night/Friday Night ALL Request Party with Casey.
Q107 used to have "Spencer" on mid-days. Now, nothing at all. You mean you couldn't VT something?
Years ago, Q was "Marquette's Hit Music Channel" after giving up the no repeat workday.

The Q107 jingles are OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those were bought in 1990. "Upper Michigan's Hottest Hits -Q107" would later be "Q107 - WMQT" with an adult feel. It is still Q107. Ask anyone!

94.9 needs people. Magic 97 on Sat/Sun is horrid with no jocks/Syndication.
Magic 97 years ago against Mix 106 used "we have a big stick and we're going to use it!" Use it!!!!! Others want you to get tired/lazy. Don't!

Anyone knows Magic is patterned after KHQ. KHQ doesn't have 4 stopsets and news each hour. It's not 1986 anymore. Drop it to two. Run them at the same time as Q or at :30, then 3 in a row, stop at :43 or so and do 40 minues nonstop or do "97 in a row every night at midnight"

Spring is coming. Who do YOU want listening when the windows are cranked open?

jjup

Re: Marquette's 94.9 97.1 and 107.7

Post by jjup » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi ++++. for no broadcast experience ypu must have been/ are a SUPERFAN. Interesting thoughts, although I'd disagree on Q107 as an 'adult leaning CHR.' They are a 2010's version of a Hot AC. With more 80's. And I respectfully disagree with you on weekends on Magic 97 WGLQ. Because here is our lineup: TJ 6A-9A. Jay Fisher (me) 9A-12N, Doug Summers 12N-2P. American Top 40 2P-6P. No jock from 6P-7P, then Saturday Night Online Live with Romeo (CC product) 7P-3A. Sundays we are liners until 6AM, then syndication until noon. Noon until 7P is Jen Page. 7P-12M is Club Kane (CC product.) And we have been liners overnight other than a few satellite mistakes (hate you much Dial Global). And WGLQ WAS totally patterned after KHQ (Mike D/ Tim Moore/ Rick D/ etc.) but in recent years we are marching a bit to our own drummer, going on market feel for decisions.
-Jay Fisher
WGLQ Program Director

Jay Fisher
WGLQ-FM

++++

Post by ++++ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Jay, I listen to you going up to the UP. I sincerely mean that you sound good. Not tired. Fresh, upbeat.

I stand corrected appearantly for weekend programming. I'll swear I've heard Fox Top20 countdown or something and jockless on Sunday.

Also, and I mean this with the UTMOST SINCERITY. A year or two ago, someone wrote to Mike Daniels (on this board)..."aren't you ready to retire?"
A month later, Mike was on Kool 105.5.

I mean this sincerely: He belongs on Magic! The voice of a human being doesn't change, maybe until much, much later in life. Mr. Daniels had a feel for Magic. One felt comfortable and I think that's where he belongs. His talents, whether live or tracked are being under-used on a "smaller stick".
One more thing on Q107: promos are WAY TOO LONG.
As far as Q107, census for 2010 shows the average age as 29 and change. Most folks were not even born for half the Madonna/etc played.

Thank you for a frank, honest reply.

kylefree

Post by kylefree » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 pm

The UP isn't ranked by Arbitron, so as long as they sell they can place stopsets wherever and at whatever length. Placement of stopsets doesn't matter as much in PPM markets either as quarter hours are thrown out the window.

PPM isn't coming anytime soon in even the small markets, so it's still widely thought of as a good idea to let listeners know WHO they're listening to as much as they can (diaries are based on recall, whereas PPM is based on detection.) Hence why you don't hear talksets, promos, liners, etc. being squeezed to less than 5 seconds or as many cold segues.

Sioux Falls, SD station clusters quit buying Arbitron about a decade ago (have been unranked ever since) and word has it the clusters like the idea of running several long stopsets each hour and not having to worry about tuneout, since no one is measuring listening anyway.

Q107 is a Hot AC, so their desired demographic is a bit older than Magic and Bay, the 80's fit fine. Hell, there are CHR's that still play 80's gold.

Countdowns? Probably not as important in the age of Youtube, smartphones and music downloads, where songs can be found instantly.

jjup

Post by jjup » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 pm

++++, I didn't take your comments in a mean way at all! Quite the opposite. Once upon a time we were not local to Sunday's but that changed last October with Jen! Just wants to work one day a week, bless her heart. I know Mike's passion is with classic hits. Magic 97 has been BLESSED with unbelievable talents/ voices. TJ Ryan, Mike, Rick Duerson, Jeff Gerber, Joe Cretens, Mike Jr, Jack. I KNOW I'm missing some great talents who have passed through the hallways. And as for being on a smaller station; it may be a bit less wattage but it still sounds great! Kylefree-agreed on PPM. Nielsen's acquisition of Arbitron may make things interesting, but they could give a RIP about their methodology. Sample size is a JOKE. Any station in the UP using Arbitron.... whatever. Live by them, die by them.

Jay Fisher
WGLQ-FM

kylefree

Post by kylefree » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:59 pm

You're lucky to get 20 returns once a year in a county-by-county ratings.

++++

Post by ++++ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:45 am

...but KDWB Y-93 Bismarck (CC) and 106KHQ have countdowns M-F, so....

Though I doubt what I heard on CC was "local" by any means.

One more thing on Q107. If they would play "old" songs from the 80s etc, why not whip out the old "Hot Fun in the Summertime -Q107" or "Hit after Hit Q107" or PAMS shotgun they used in 1988 or so?

Also remember a jock at Q, Steve Moss, who gave me a tour of stn when they were in Ispeming, near the old Ben Franklin.

Still: This is probably as close as I'll ever get to sitting and talking radio, having good discussion and not like talking with my bosses, who if you disagree with them ....

Thank you again for the discussion.

kylefree

Post by kylefree » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:10 am

I was thinking more of weekend countdowns.

Night countdowns (or whatever other daypart) are a common crutch that can be good listener interactive segment if it's live.

Ryan Seacrest's weekday show has a top 5 countdown, I believe that is national. If you were listening to KDWB during the noon hour (central time), that's what you heard.

I'm not a genius programmer, nor do I pretend to be one. :lol:

++++

Post by ++++ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:12 pm

The countdowns were not on Seacrest or Dees or anything national. KD and Y93 were at night, tho I'm sure VTed. 106 KHQ was a 12 noon countdown.

I believe KHQ has a nightly countdown also.

Won't beat an old horse to death.

Thank you for responses.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Speaking of CHR in the U.P., how is 100.7 in Iron Mountain sounding these days?

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

++++

Post by ++++ » Mon May 06, 2013 11:09 am

The station is just a satellite feed. No jocks. Unusual, in the fact a Top40 runs "ABC News Now" hourly. Don't know if they do this at night tho.

Funny too, as I THINK 94.3 WZNL also runs ABC news now.

Basically just "100.7 Radio Now" between songs. Very current. Very up/bouncy.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:05 pm

++++ wrote:The station is just a satellite feed. No jocks. Unusual, in the fact a Top40 runs "ABC News Now" hourly. Don't know if they do this at night tho.

Basically just "100.7 Radio Now" between songs. Very current. Very up/bouncy.
probably sounds similar to 104.9 WQBX out of Alma

++++

Post by ++++ » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:07 pm

It finally, finally hit me today about what I can't handle about Q107.

The current music is basically, to me, Hot AC.

It's the old songs! The gold played is all over the road, the "instant requests" don't fit the format (1970s, 1980s stuff) and while Q107 will not play a current rock song, if any are out there, it will play old Bon Jovi, Guns & Roses stuff.

Again, why not run "the 90s at 9" at 9am, not 9pm, and go after the younger adults at night?

It seems they break up the flow for instant requests, 80's and 90's blocks, etc.

As Magic 97 years ago said "we have a big stick and we're going to use it!"

Q107 bumper stickers were all over in 1980s. Why toss the audience?

I know if I wrote Q, I'd never get an answer, but 97 and 94-9 have commercials. Q107 bare has any. They were Hit-Radio in 2001, but when 94-9 came on, it was like they tossed in the towel.

Formatically, SunnyFM and Magic97 are way better! 101-9 could even crank it up a bit and go CHR!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic