Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

106.3 in Esky

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
ftballfan
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by ftballfan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Would 106.7 in Iron Mountain be able to upgrade if 106.3 wasn't in the way?



MetalUpYourAss1973
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:36 am

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Probably not. Green Bay and Petoskey both have a 106.7. There is a 106.9 in Ironwood and another low power 106.9 in the Sturgeon Bay area.



ftballfan
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by ftballfan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm

MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:Probably not. Green Bay and Petoskey both have a 106.7. There is a 106.9 in Ironwood and another low power 106.9 in the Sturgeon Bay area.
If 106.3 was turned in to the FCC, could the IM 106.7 move to, say, 106.5 and upgrade? And speaking of 106.3, does WKLA reach the Door Peninsula or even the mainland UP? I'm wondering this because the 106.9 in the Door Peninsula can reach Manistee at most times.



++++
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by ++++ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 pm

I can tell you as a person who goes up I-43 to the UP every other week, 106.3 does not make it to the Sheboygan, Manitowoc area. 106.5 might wipe that out in Sheboygan. In GrBay there is a translator on 106.3 for Razor94.7. In the summer with skip, still, not a factor!



ftballfan
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by ftballfan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 pm

++++ wrote:I can tell you as a person who goes up I-43 to the UP every other week, 106.3 does not make it to the Sheboygan, Manitowoc area. 106.5 might wipe that out in Sheboygan. In GrBay there is a translator on 106.3 for Razor94.7. In the summer with skip, still, not a factor!
The only Lower Peninsula stations that may make Sheboygan/Manitowoc on a regular basis IMO are 88.7, 90.3, and 103.5, and maybe 94.1 and 94.9



ftballfan
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Tick tock!

106.3 has to sign on for at least a day by April 26. Otherwise, it loses its license.



TheGeekJedi
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by TheGeekJedi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:18 am

ftballfan wrote:
MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:Probably not. Green Bay and Petoskey both have a 106.7. There is a 106.9 in Ironwood and another low power 106.9 in the Sturgeon Bay area.
If 106.3 was turned in to the FCC, could the IM 106.7 move to, say, 106.5 and upgrade? And speaking of 106.3, does WKLA reach the Door Peninsula or even the mainland UP? I'm wondering this because the 106.9 in the Door Peninsula can reach Manistee at most times.
Probably not. Just because the license is turned in doesn't mean that the allocation goes away. The 106.3 allocation would still exist and likely go up for auction.



ftballfan
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:21 pm

TheGeekJedi wrote:
ftballfan wrote:
MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:Probably not. Green Bay and Petoskey both have a 106.7. There is a 106.9 in Ironwood and another low power 106.9 in the Sturgeon Bay area.
If 106.3 was turned in to the FCC, could the IM 106.7 move to, say, 106.5 and upgrade? And speaking of 106.3, does WKLA reach the Door Peninsula or even the mainland UP? I'm wondering this because the 106.9 in the Door Peninsula can reach Manistee at most times.
Probably not. Just because the license is turned in doesn't mean that the allocation goes away. The 106.3 allocation would still exist and likely go up for auction.
I think this would work.
106.3C2 Stephenson, MI - allocation deleted
106.7C3 Iron Mountain, MI - moves to 106.5C1 Bark River, MI with tower colocated with WYKX
95.1C1 Marinette, WI - moves to 95.1C1 Stephenson, MI with no TL change to "maintain first local service" to Stephenson (Marinette has other radio stations licensed to it)



MetalUpYourAss1973
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:36 am

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:54 am

We have a 94.9 in the Marquette area that may cause interference if 95.1 moved much closer. Not for sure though.



ftballfan
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by ftballfan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 pm

MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:We have a 94.9 in the Marquette area that may cause interference if 95.1 moved much closer. Not for sure though.
I think WLST does provide city grade service to Stephenson from its current transmitter site (It's 100kW).



TheGeekJedi
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by TheGeekJedi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:54 pm

ftballfan wrote:
TheGeekJedi wrote:
ftballfan wrote:
MetalUpYourAss1973 wrote:Probably not. Green Bay and Petoskey both have a 106.7. There is a 106.9 in Ironwood and another low power 106.9 in the Sturgeon Bay area.
If 106.3 was turned in to the FCC, could the IM 106.7 move to, say, 106.5 and upgrade? And speaking of 106.3, does WKLA reach the Door Peninsula or even the mainland UP? I'm wondering this because the 106.9 in the Door Peninsula can reach Manistee at most times.
Probably not. Just because the license is turned in doesn't mean that the allocation goes away. The 106.3 allocation would still exist and likely go up for auction.
I think this would work.
106.3C2 Stephenson, MI - allocation deleted
106.7C3 Iron Mountain, MI - moves to 106.5C1 Bark River, MI with tower colocated with WYKX
95.1C1 Marinette, WI - moves to 95.1C1 Stephenson, MI with no TL change to "maintain first local service" to Stephenson (Marinette has other radio stations licensed to it)

The bigger question is "why"?

There's barely enough revenue floating around to keep all those stations on the air, let alone increase their power bill!



ftballfan
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by ftballfan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Was 106.3 on today to keep its license active? Local WKLA (on 106.3) was somewhat staticky on my Tecsun. For reference, Magic 97 was coming in, Eagle 107.3 was coming in, and WGKL was mixing in with semi-local WSRJ. My QTH is Manistee.



myluvforradio
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:00 am

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by myluvforradio » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 pm

I am 99.9% sure 106.3 WMXG was on today. Very strong signal in the south central U.P. No identification, but, from what I heard, they were playing a mix of classic and new rock....



ftballfan
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by ftballfan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 am

myluvforradio wrote:I am 99.9% sure 106.3 WMXG was on today. Very strong signal in the south central U.P. No identification, but, from what I heard, they were playing a mix of classic and new rock....
That may explain why WKLA has been somewhat weaker than usual in Manistee the past few days or so.



bigjer54
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:33 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: 106.3 in Esky

Post by bigjer54 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39 pm

From Michiguide:

WMXG-FM 106.3 Stephenson / Escanaba has filed for Special Temporary Authority to remain silent because of "The unreliability of the existing transmitter, and the next-to-nonexistent business, and the ongoing uncertainty over the resolution of estate matters". Owned by Escanaba License Corp, the station has been reported as mostly off the air for some time and is for sale.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic