Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLUC fires Weather Staffer

Discussion pertaining to Marquette, Escanaba, Iron Mountain, Houghton, Ironwood, and Northern Wisconsin, too!
Sholmes

WLUC fires Weather Staffer

Post by Sholmes » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:53 am

https://deadline.com/2021/09/michigan-t ... 39184/amp/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WLUC fires Weather Staffer

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:45 pm

"Weather staffer" ?

He was their Chief Meteorologist for three decades and is one of the most recognizable faces on Upper Michigan TV.

I think Mr. Bohnak is very foolish for not taking the vaccine (unless he's had prior adverse reactions to other vaccinations) and throwing a longstanding career down the crapper unless he already has something else lined up or is planning to retire or semi-retire.

I also think it was foolish for Gray to fire him, unless he was refusing to take other COVID-19 preventative measures. With Steve's recently announced retirement, Mr. Bohnak was arguably the "face" of TV6, far & away the most successful TV station in the market.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:00 pm

If information found online is true, Mr. Bohnak is past typical retirement age. If the owners try to pull anything with his retirement benefits, he should get an army of lawyers to fight them. I hope he had an irrevocable legally prepared and scrutinized retirement package. He obviously will "never work in this town again". Too pro individual freedom for Marquette now.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 pm

https://www.facebook.com/karl.bohnak.9/ ... 9954945079

Mr. Bohnak let us know his stance on the current situation. His use of the word "fired" points toward a victim status. He voluntarily chose not to do what was required by his employer. That sounds more like a voluntary resignation to me.

His employer had changed ownership several times during his time there, but it appears he kept his job through those changes. Rather than agree to disagree, since corporate America's taking a rather firm stance on the vaccination issue, he's using the opportunity to air his opinions before he fades from the public eye. Fine, but he's spending some of his credibility capital on the effort.

He doesn't have to agree with his former employer, or with much of anything, for that matter. I'm not sure that his bringing there being no warranty on the vaccine into the discussion has much merit. Did he warranty his weather forecasts, or is he forgetting the only "weather guarantee" is that there will be weather of some sort?

He should have some concept of the uncertainties of daily life by now, and leave it at he didn't want to get the vaccine. Period. No one took away his right to choose to not receive it.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:03 pm

Musicrewired wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 pm
https://www.facebook.com/karl.bohnak.9/ ... 9954945079

Mr. Bohnak let us know his stance on the current situation. His use of the word "fired" points toward a victim status. He voluntarily chose not to do what was required by his employer. That sounds more like a voluntary resignation to me.

His employer had changed ownership several times during his time there, but it appears he kept his job through those changes. Rather than agree to disagree, since corporate America's taking a rather firm stance on the vaccination issue, he's using the opportunity to air his opinions before he fades from the public eye. Fine, but he's spending some of his credibility capital on the effort.

He doesn't have to agree with his former employer, or with much of anything, for that matter. I'm not sure that his bringing there being no warranty on the vaccine into the discussion has much merit. Did he warranty his weather forecasts, or is he forgetting the only "weather guarantee" is that there will be weather of some sort?

He should have some concept of the uncertainties of daily life by now, and leave it at he didn't want to get the vaccine. Period. No one took away his right to choose to not receive it.
Says the toady, lawyer, or manager for Gray Television. Guess Gray means morally gray.

Marquette has become just another Communist Run College Town, but without the prestige.
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm

He obviously will "never work in this town again". Too pro individual freedom for Marquette now.
I'm not so sure I agree with that prediction.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:08 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm
He obviously will "never work in this town again". Too pro individual freedom for Marquette now.
I'm not so sure I agree with that prediction.
Are you also "Sinklair"?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:10 pm

That's a bizarre question. The answer is "nope."

Why would you feel a popular on-air personality is "obviously" never going to work in Marquette or the Central U.P. again? Who says it needs to be TV. Maybe he'll do radio.

I will agree there is a substantial chance he won't reappear on-air locally, but I definitely wouldn't say it is a certainty.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:52 pm

Speaking of choices that people make:

Could an employer refuse to employ or not continue to employ a woman because she had an abortion? That's a medical choice.

I know some people who don't hire people with visible tattoos. Getting tattoos is a choice. Is it legal to not employ someone because they have visible tattoos?

As you can see, making employment decisions based on choices is a slippery slope, and you could easily ski into Sonny Bono's tree.

People talk a lot about SCIENCE here and other places. A very basic principle of SCIENCE, in this case Biology, is that Life only comes from Life of the same species, RATS of the same species, VIRUSES of the same species, etc. RATS don't come from having a messy domicile. They come from other RATS. Same with VIRUSES. Thus an UNINFECTED UNVACCINATED person cannot infect either an UNVACCINATED OR VACCINATED person. I could go along with requiring a person who is in contact with other people directly at work being required to have a COVID test on entering a studio every day. Many people have home studios now, especially now with Fauci's Disease, and I don't know why they would need to even go in. A Meteorologist might have better equipment at home than at the studio, and could do their appearance from home now.

A very basic principle of the SCIENCE of PHARMACOLOGY says that for every DRUG, there is a THERAPEUTIC DOSE AND A LETHAL DOSE. People that took Ivermectin in the form of HORSE PASTE, if they died from IVERMECTIN, died of an OVERDOSE, A LETHAL DOSE of IVERMECTIN, which in proper human doses has been approved for human use for DECADES. Horses weigh 10 times what a human does, so other things being equal the DOSE may be 10 times greater, which is a human OVERDOSE.

Warfarin in low doses is used to treat heart conditions. In small animals, that might be a LETHAL DOSE, AS IT IS USED AS RAT POISON.

Pharmacies and Pharmacists refusing to fill valid PHYSICIAN'S PRESCRIPTIONS are doing a great disservice to their victims, er, PATIENTS. It forces them to do desperate things, like BACK ALLEY ABORTIONS WITH COAT HANGERS. OR TAKING HORSE PASTE.

VERSTEHEN SIE?

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:04 am

Did someone switch this to Political Potpourri? This is about a meteorologist who declined to get vaccinated.

Someone considering an abortion or having a tattoo isn't a potential risk due to others possibly contracting their condition. A person wearing a blue shirt or driving a red car is also making a choice, but it also has nothing to do with a vaccination against a contagious virus, either.

If Mr. Bohnak has to resort to using a lack of a vaccine warranty to justify his actions, he's stretching it. He should have just said he didn't want to, and not feel compelled to give any reason. That's the freedom he had and still has. He knew where this might go if he failed to comply.

If Gray wants vaccinated employees, that's their business, literally. If they didn't want him only broadcasting from his home, that's their decision. He's not the first person who lost their broadcasting job who didn't care to leave.

It's not as if this is the first time vaccination has been a prime subject in this country, either. It's just the most recent.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:30 pm

The refusal to get the vaccine is not the real reason corporations are firing so many good people. Not limited to Morally Gray Television.

Corporations no longer want free thinkers. They don't like people who think for themselves and analyze data and come to different conclusions. They don't want people who believe in freedom.

The top corporate people, WAY above the local level, believe Kris Kristofferson's words, that he was taught, that "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose". He was taught that internationalist "citizen of the world" philosophy, which showed up in his lyrics, disguised as a commentary on male female relationships.

They want yes men. They want submissive men. They want people who never question what they are doing.

They want women, because they are usually more submissive, and put up with more BS, and agree to work for less money and worse working conditions.

This vaccine mandate is an excuse for getting men, who are intelligent enough to think for themselves, and ask for raises and better working conditions and benefits, out of the workforce.

And an excuse to get old men, who question things out of many years of experience, out of the workforce.

Pure and simple.

This illustrates "Morally Gray" Characters in TV series.

https://screencraft.org/2016/07/20/why- ... elevision/

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:59 pm

https://www.linkedin.com/in/karl-bohnak-6337636

Looked up Karl's LinkedIn page, and it says he works for Barrington Broadcasting, which sold their stations and ceased to exist over 8 years ago. Doesn't seem like he remembered his account existed, or else it's some statement of defiance against change, which isn't likely but wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.mininggazette.com/news/fron ... r-segment/

He also apparently started writing a weather column.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:14 am

TV-6 newscast quality is the worst it has been in quite some time. The young gentleman with the glasses who handles weather and also does some live news reporting from the field is unable to speak coherently. His work is painful to watch.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:21 pm

The weather in Marquette is sometimes painful also.

MetalUpYourAss1973

Post by MetalUpYourAss1973 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:17 pm

^^^^^What he said!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic