Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Open Letter to The Grateful Dead Station

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
TC Talks

Open Letter to The Grateful Dead Station

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:21 pm

To Whom It May Concern,

This is just a note to those who are programming WJML.

In the past 3 months I have had more people ask me about the stations both in Traverse City and Petoskey.

You have made a simple format decision that has created greater buzz amongst college educated Executive and Leadership types than any station in the past 10 years at least.

I know of several breweries, dispensaries and restaurants who would be happy to sponsor this glorious endeavor.

Keep up the great work and Happy New Year.

Your fans.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Realist

Re: Open Letter to The Grateful Dead Station

Post by Realist » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:16 pm

Short of stunting over a weekend or for a week, this is truly the best way to get people talking about a station…..

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:40 pm

Realist wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:16 pm
Short of stunting over a weekend or for a week, this is truly the best way to get people talking about a station…..
Really? Is that how it works? Cause the minute these stations move away from the Dead, they will loses every last person listening to Spotify.

No one expects it to last forever, but we're actually using the fm feature on our cars, aside from IPR and WNMC...

See, there is nothing wrong with the tech, it's the programming that is failing the industry. TSL on this station must be through the roof.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:53 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:40 pm
Realist wrote:
Really? Is that how it works? Cause the minute these stations move away from the Dead, they will loses every last person listening to Spotify.

No one expects it to last forever, but we're actually using the fm feature on our cars, aside from IPR and WNMC...

See, there is nothing wrong with the tech, it's the programming that is failing the industry. TSL on this station must be through the roof.
Don’t be a smart ass. I support what you’re saying. We had a station here in the Tri Cities (106.3 The Core) that flipped at the top of the hour from Hot AC to Alternative. Took quite a while for people to even discover them….

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:06 pm

Realist wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:53 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:40 pm
Realist wrote:

Don’t be a smart ass. I support what you’re saying. We had a station here in the Tri Cities (106.3 The Core) that flipped at the top of the hour from Hot AC to Alternative. Took quite a while for people to even discover them….
The stations have been dark for so long, they had to run some programming to keep from losing the licenses. I believe the engineer made the programming decision and it's the most brilliant thing that's happened. It's been running since august so it's not a weekend stunt.
― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:18 pm

Rumor has it that another silent group of stations will institute an all Moby Grape format, which will debut one morning soon at 8:05.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:47 pm

Call me when there's a "Iron Butterfly" format.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:13 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:18 pm
Rumor has it that another silent group of stations will institute an all Moby Grape format, which will debut one morning soon at 8:05.
Another rumor has it that the other silent group is a pile of dysfunction and have a greater chance of losing yet more licenses to the FCC.

The only way to top The Grateful Dead station would be to go all Swifty or all Phish.
― Noam Chomsky

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:42 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:13 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Another rumor has it that the other silent group is a pile of dysfunction and have a greater chance of losing yet more licenses to the FCC.

The only way to top The Grateful Dead station would be to go all Swifty or all Phish.
I'm surprised more of the Henderson group haven't lost their licenses yet (or be forced to sell at bargain basement prices in lieu of licenses being yanked).

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:43 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:42 am
TC Talks wrote:
Ben Zonia wrote:

I'm surprised more of the Henderson group haven't lost their licenses yet (or be forced to sell at bargain basement prices in lieu of licenses being yanked).
I think both buyers and sellers need to be more flexible. Many of the facilities have good signal potential.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:21 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:43 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:42 am
TC Talks wrote:
Ben Zonia wrote:

I think both buyers and sellers need to be more flexible. Many of the facilities have good signal potential.
But lousy revenue potential. That determines the value of a station, and these stations are burned.
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:31 am

There were numerous FM properties sold in Northern Michigan just within the past couple years. I'd say the flexibility is there.'

There is only one owner who ought to sell but refuses for whatever reason.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:08 am

The way I heard it, the selling prices are too high for what most are willing to pay. But a little (actually a lot) of Winter armchair technical consulting over the last few years, and combining stories heard from some of the biggest radio aficionados statewide reveals a lot.

"Messrs K and H assure the public their production will be second to none".

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:19 pm

Just a note to the Grateful Dead Station programming....

It's Spring, maybe it's time to add new songs / sets to the rotation. I love that version of Athena, but it might be nice to replace it with one from the 90's. Dead and Company has some interesting stuff, if you want to get spicy.
― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic