Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Northern Michigan dual TV channel ID

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
kager

Re: Northern Michigan dual TV channel ID

Post by kager » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:59 pm

WTOM tower was just upgraded almost 3 years ago.

There aren't alot of specifics in the article below, but it looks like it was quite the project. There is a nice 20-pic slide-show (mostly of the giant 1968 Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane helicopter involved) also included in the story (just click the link to VIEW ALL PHOTOS in the lower right of the first pic); last slide may be contour map(?) here:

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/wtom ... n-michigan

Alot of this is probably already known to most of you. I was looking for pictures of the old WTOM-TV studios (still haven't found them) when I came across the above article...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:02 am

I didn't have any knowledge of that. Wonder how I missed it.

Please share if you do find a picture of the WTOM set. I've been looking off and on for years.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:33 pm

Ben did a better job than me explaining the shortcomings of the current site. It's in a low lying area and signal propagation is definitely hampered by terrain shadowing. As mentioned in another post, there is a lot of signal overlap with WGTQ as well.

Usage of a site closer to Petoskey would make more sense if the station actually cares about maximizing OTA signal coverage. They likely do not, since they profit from cable & sat subscriber numbers.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:09 am

The fun thing in the analog days living in Cheboygan, you didn't need an antenna to pick up WTOM. Came in relatively clear within two miles line-of-sight.

I can agree, MW. Having the site closer to Petoskey would be better. Frankly, I never understood why Les didn't do that in '59. Unless it had to do with overlapping with WPBN back in the day. Heck, even moving the site to Hebron Township and sharing the WYPV (WSBX?) tower would've been better than South US23.

Tipomitt

Post by Tipomitt » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:30 am

Well, if memory serves correctly, the Black Bear (strip club) was very nearby the WTOM-TV studios back in the 60/70's... :blink

The old Black Bear is now known as 'Thirsty's'...and it is the very definition of a dive bar

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:55 am

There are all kinds of illustrations of satellite TV stations overlap situations in this volume from The TV Factbook 1962-1963. WPBN had already moved from West of Traverse City to the Harrietta tower, and other annual issues are missing. It appears that the overlap areas could be reduced by other propagation studies, or argue that overlap was de minimis, a Legal Latin term for negligible. By perusing World Radio History, a site owned surprisingly by early WCCW alumnus David Gleason, all kinds of early History can be found. This issue demonstrates de minimus overlap of 7 & 4.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-B ... -IA-OH.pdf

This issue of the Broadcasting companion publication Telecasting shows that in the 1957-1958 Edition, WPBN was 53.7 kW from 462 feet AGL, 760 feet HAAT from the tower west of Traverse City. The phone number was shown as WIndsor 7-7675, or 947-7675, still the number for then coowned WTCM.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-B ... 957-58.pdf
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

edj

Post by edj » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:15 pm

Unrelated to this section, but the TV Factbook lists the very short lived WJMY Allen Park as on the air, says transmitter is at Southfield and Wabash Hwy. Where is/was Wabash Hwy? Allen Road’s old name?

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:33 pm
Ben did a better job than me explaining the shortcomings of the current site. It's in a low lying area and signal propagation is definitely hampered by terrain shadowing. As mentioned in another post, there is a lot of signal overlap with WGTQ as well.

Usage of a site closer to Petoskey would make more sense if the station actually cares about maximizing OTA signal coverage. They likely do not, since they profit from cable & sat subscriber numbers.
Speaking of maximizing OTA signal coverage, if they actually cared about that, WPBN would have likely returned to Harrietta or moved to the WTCM-FM tower between Mesick and Buckley (even if they would have had to move to VHF Low as I think any of the VHF High channels would've been short-spaced to another full power station).

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:03 pm

edj wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:15 pm
Unrelated to this section, but the TV Factbook lists the very short lived WJMY Allen Park as on the air, says transmitter is at Southfield and Wabash Hwy. Where is/was Wabash Hwy? Allen Road’s old name?
When WXON 62 took over Channel 20, it was still actually WJMY.

The Studio is shown as 16850 Southfield Allen Park, MI on the History Card, near where M-39 crosses I-94 on the History Card. Probably the TL also. Wabash was probably removed for the City Hall.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/ ... r_id=87055
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:16 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:50 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:33 pm

Speaking of maximizing OTA signal coverage, if they actually cared about that, WPBN would have likely returned to Harrietta or moved to the WTCM-FM tower between Mesick and Buckley (even if they would have had to move to VHF Low as I think any of the VHF High channels would've been short-spaced to another full power station).
Keep in mind that WPBN 7 was on the tower West of Traverse City, and couldn't overlap WTOM significantly when it came on. Even Emmet Heights was probably too close for significant ERP, and a DA would have been required to serve Cheboygan, the COL, something not used much at the time. And Emmet Heights tower height would be restricted by the Pellston Airport.

-Author Unknown

edj

Post by edj » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:28 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:03 pm
edj wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:15 pm
When WXON 62 took over Channel 20, it was still actually WJMY.

The Studio is shown as 16850 Southfield Allen Park, MI on the History Card, near where M-39 crosses I-94 on the History Card. Probably the TL also. Wabash was probably removed for the City Hall.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/ ... r_id=87055
Found some old maps of the area from 1940s and 50s. Wabash has been renamed Pinecrest. It never went east of Southfield.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:57 am

It's very possible that we're both right about the TL of WJMY Channel 20 near Allen Park.

FCC descriptions on the History Cards are kind of sketchy on this, before they used geographical coordinates, and got even more picky by using NAD 83 vs. NAD 27, which usually is no more than a few meters difference around this part of the country, and using decimal seconds coordinates in tower registrations. Probably what was meant on the History Cards was that it was near the intersection of Southfield and what is now Pinecrest, regardless of the fact that Pinecrest dead ends at Southfield. I've seen a lot of descriptions like this.

-Author Unknown

Taco

Post by Taco » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:57 am

Everything would be so much simpler just having 1 channel number instead of the stations having 2. For the vastness of the DMA, they should just break apart the stations to serve those specific areas. I mean I doubt people in Big Rapids or Mt Pleasant cares what goes on in SSM or Cheboygan.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:30 pm

Flipping thru the channels waiting for the Michigan game to start and Georgia was at a break.... flipped to 29 and 8.... and the weather report from Last weekend was on with that male weekend meteorologist who isn't on the website..... what a massive cluster fuck at Joe and Mark's 7 and 4... OUI..... Northern michigan local news at its best.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:57 pm

Who cares?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic