Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bob & Tom Show returning to NW Michigan

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Colonel Flagg

Bob & Tom Show returning to NW Michigan

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:13 pm

Maybe it's already happened?

My double agents tell me the Bob & Tom Show is supposed to be returning to "The Bear"

"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Ben Zonia

Re: Bob & Tom Show returning to NW Michigan

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:34 pm

I heard last year that Art Vuolo was headed up to Traverse City to talk to the heads of Black Diamond about it, so that has a ring of truth to it. Art also tried to get Trish to put it on one of their stations the year before. I drove by Bar Harbor yesterday, where Bob and Tom first met.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:30 am

Started last week... man you guys are really on the ball...
Your BEAR mornings just got quirky!
Now back, where it all started, northern Michigan
Coming July 5th, 2023
https://classicrockthebear.com/on-air/bob-tom-show

Of course, they should call it the NOT Bob just Tom Show

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:30 am

Well, Tom is probably about the same age as many Bear listeners, so in a way this move makes sense.

That being said - if Bob & Tom are sooooooo great, why did the Bear dump the show to begin with?
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:16 am

Bob retired in what, 2015? Something to be said for branding I guess.

I think they've been on WIOT here in Toledo for 25 years now. I've never enjoyed the show especially when I had to hear it at work every day, but they definitely have their fans here.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:31 am

CurlyHoward wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:16 am
Bob retired in what, 2015? Something to be said for branding I guess.

I think they've been on WIOT here in Toledo for 25 years now. I've never enjoyed the show especially when I had to hear it at work every day, but they definitely have their fans here.
It usually does well in small and medium markets. They absolutely bombed in Detroit. I don’t think they lasted six months.

I’ve never found it funny. Half of the show is laughter which gets annoying.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:29 am

Let me get this straight.....Bob and Tom without Bob?

Never cared for it....forced laughter, sophomoric hijinks.

Sounds like a desperation move.

The most interesting thing is the "Bar Harbor" reference. About 4 years ago, they had a GREAT food menu. Apparently they sold, and the two times I've stopped in since it's lesser-than-average bar food. It's a shame....it was really outstanding.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:33 pm

For some reason, I used to think Tom Griswold was from the family that Griswold Mountain was named after. I didn't realize that Griswold was a relatively common surname. Of course, there was Clark Griswold with that name. ;).

WCBY-FM once had an application to upgrade to 100 kW on Griswold mountain, but it was dismissed. By the time they got around to try moving again, when the FCC told them they had to upgrade, or be automatically downgraded to Class C2, the site was too close to WCXT 105.3 Hart to use. Now that is just a Class B in Coopersville and much further away, and not an issue, though in the meantime, other cochannel and adjacent stations crowded in to limit them.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:07 pm

Most of the comedy and comedians are funny, but the laugh track can be a bit overdone at times. I kind of didn't like it when Bob or Tom would interrupt newsreader Kristi Lee.

Bob was diagnosed with stomach cancer a few months ago, and has since started a podcast called the Bob and Cancer Show.

WIOT started airing it in 1997, replacing Mark Benson and Becky Shock, even though their ratings were decent, WIOT management thought at the time B&T would bring in higher ratings and it worked, as it's still their morning show nearly 26 years later.

My guess is that they still use the B&T name due to the longevity of Bob and Tom as a duo.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:53 pm

Art also tried to get Trish to put it on one of their stations the year before.
Kudos to her for not picking up the show.

They would've been a terrible fit for Star Country.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:46 pm

Not a fan, never have been. I can hear that show on two frequencies before I even pull out of the driveway. Same thing with Stern. I just can't get into national/syndicated morning shows.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:52 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:53 pm

Put it on 1340 where they began! Hire me for PD and PM drive, turn it into oldies, and we'd grab a 1 share guaranteed!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:03 am

Frosty wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:52 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:53 pm

Put it on 1340 where they began! Hire me for PD and PM drive, turn it into oldies, and we'd grab a 1 share guaranteed!
WWPZ! Excellent idea.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:11 am

I think before it was on 1340, it was on WJML 1110 and 98.9.

Before it was Bob and Tom, Art Bussure, Jr. and Tom were on that shift. Art Bussure, Sr. had a 10 element beam antenna pointed at WJML-FM in North Branch to listen.

https://vuolovideo.com/bob-tom/

Some of Art Vuolo's most memorable videos and air checks have eventually famous personalities doing news, John Landecker at WOIA and Tom Griswold at WJML being the best examples.

https://airchexx.com/art-vuolo-on-woia-may-1967/

The Six Day War referred to was June 5-10, 1967 so it was June not May. Bonanza was on Sunday Night, so this air check was actually from June 11, 1967. Colonel Flagg will tell you that John Landecker and Art Bussure, Jr. also both worked at WTRX.

-Author Unknown

lurker

Post by lurker » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:46 am

It's always a sign that a station is struggling when they put Bob & Tom on the air...at least in my experience in several markets. The poorest performing rock station always had Bob & Tom.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic