Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Ben Zonia

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm

A lot of stations use off air antennas to feed the satellites and translators, at least as a backup. But somebody has to notice and report it when it's silent.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 26, 2023 1:08 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:45 am
organman95 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:32 pm
ADD in TC wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:53 pm
Someone should notify the folks over at Black Diamond Broadcasting of this.95.1 95.3 and 98.1 have been airing an open carrier for at least the last four hours.
Didn't Del go that route with his stl's over a decade ago?

I'd like to say I'm surprised. But I can't. Seems almost everyone is airing open carriers now for one reason or another. I think most of them are technical issues though.
Using the internet for your STL instead of microwave is usually the culprit.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 26, 2023 1:13 pm

I was picking up this station yesterday in Traverse City...

CKFX-FM 101.9 MHz
North Bay, Ontario
"101.9 Rock"

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm
A lot of stations use off air antennas to feed the satellites and translators, at least as a backup. But somebody has to notice and report it when it's silent.
Off-air can work, but it can come back to bite you during "conditions" when you inadvertently end up simulcasting a co-channel FM from hundreds of miles away. Doesn't happen often, but it certainly can. :smokin

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri May 26, 2023 4:21 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Off-air can work, but it can come back to bite you during "conditions" when you inadvertently end up simulcasting a co-channel FM from hundreds of miles away. Doesn't happen often, but it certainly can. :smokin
I would say that most of the stations don't use an adequate receiving antenna. Some home brew and modified stock antennas may work better than what they have. This site has plans and analysis for antennas with very high Front to Largest Side Lobe ratio, often 20 to 30 dB. Unless the interfering station is in the same direction, this eliminates a lot of problems like that.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri May 26, 2023 4:41 pm

There is a nearby station that uses this inexpensive antenna to pick up an FM station about 60 miles away and rebroadcast it.

This link has a relatively simple plan to add a fifth element and considerably improve performance, including front to largest side lobe ratio.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/stellar.htm

Here's a 5 element Home Brew antenna link.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/five.htm

The author claims that the materials for this and other designs can be obtained at Home Depot.

-Author Unknown

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri May 26, 2023 8:20 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
90.9 WYVM in Sheboygan, WI picks up 102.7 WRVM over the air. However, during a lake inversion event, WYVM (as well as other Sheboygan-area translators of WRVM on 95.3 and 100.5) will often pick up 102.7 WMOM.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:00 pm

I wonder if Mr. Yob will bother to get 1110 and 1210 back on-air before they expire?

1210 sits on an old landfill. That can't be good for resale.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:34 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:00 pm
I wonder if Mr. Yob will bother to get 1110 and 1210 back on-air before they expire?

1210 sits on an old landfill. That can't be good for resale.
1210 is slightly more valuable because it has the translator attached to it

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:59 pm

I don't know why they put 1210 there. It seems like Harold Munn would have steered them away from that site for more than one reason. The only other good reason would be is if they planned to have an FM station that could be located there. It's a decent HAAT at ground level, kind of like the WTCM-FM site, but closer to Traverse City. They moved 1210 from Saginaw/Frankenmuth to Kingsley to upgrade what was WCHB 1200, now WMUZ, to 50000 watts, which would seriously overlap WKNX 1210. It was all connected. The only other reason might be the prohibitive cost of land closer to Traverse City. They later tried to move it to Greilickville, but the ill advised First Local Service policy to Kingsley prevented it. Maybe Mr. Munn had a drop in frequency in mind at that location. He was known to think ahead like that.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic