Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gaylord tornado

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ChrisWL1980

Gaylord tornado

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:21 pm

Who had the best local coverage of the worst tornado in Otsego County since 1974? The only area station I was able to watch was 7&4, and they were still in Dr. Phil while the tornado warnings were still in effect and the storm was dropping baseball-sized hail in Presque Isle County. Did 9&10 do any better? How about radio? Any radio stations do anything more than simulcast TV audio?

Plate Cap

Re: Gaylord tornado

Post by Plate Cap » Mon May 23, 2022 10:04 pm

Joe Charlevoix did a pretty good in-depth review of the radar in conjunction with a woman who seemed to have control of the graphics. I got the impression he was not at the station.

I would rate his performance as good to very good....but the message overall just needed to be take shelter. There is way too much attention on granular prediction of severe weather location and movement; that's all good but the storms move too quickly and erratically to be exacting. Attempting to do so can give people a false sense of security.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 24, 2022 4:49 am

I believe the cellphone emergency alert feature was the winner of the day.

Who was sitting around watching TV on a warm sunny Saturday?

I think it is no longer necessary for broadcast to provide emergency live coverage like this given the power of a cellphone. I have full color radar on my phone and although meteorologists have more accurate long term forecasting, most people don't need it.

TV is largely entertaining but it's immediacy has been made obsolete.
Emma Goddard, 15, said she was working at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe when she got a phone alert about the tornado. Thinking the weather outside looked “stormy, but not scary,” she dismissed it and returned to what she was doing. Her mother then called and she assured her mom she was OK

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:49 am
Saturday???

Are you still on planet earth?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 24, 2022 7:35 am

Tornado was Friday afternoon around 4PM.

Southern Ontario saw a derecho Saturday that began as a cluster of garden variety storms in southern Michigan. First severe tstorm warning with the line was for Macomb County around 10:30a. The storms rapidly intensified as they pushed ENE-ward into an untapped muggy airmass. 75 mph+ winds were common in Ontario and even Quebec. Eight fatalities occurred.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 24, 2022 7:40 am

I think it is no longer necessary for broadcast to provide emergency live coverage like this given the power of a cellphone. I have full color radar on my phone and although meteorologists have more accurate long term forecasting, most people don't need it.
I disagree.

Cell phone alerts are not always timely. Mine has failed to sound for flash flood warnings in the past.

Cell phone coverage up north can be spotty, which can be a problem for tourists especially.

If a phone is uncharged or in another room when an alert is sent, it might not do much good.

I think it is important for broadcast media to continue to air EAS alerts.

I will say Alexa does a marvelous job of sending me NOAA watches, advisories and warnings. I often receive them a few minutes before TV cut-ins.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue May 24, 2022 7:55 am

I also agree that EAS alerts are still quite relevant. I don't always have my cell phone anywhere near me. Usually, its turned off and in my car. During the tornado Friday, I was listening to WMKC. They had cut-ins as the severe thunderstorm warnings came in but I never heard a tornado watch or warning on their station.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 24, 2022 8:03 am

If that's true, that is an epic fail either on the part of WMKC or the EAS originating station.

Let's see if the news media do a post mortem on how well (or not) EAS worked. I doubt they will. Broadcast media outlets hate self accountability.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 24, 2022 9:54 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 am
TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:49 am
Saturday???
Are you still on planet earth?
Great, even less people are watching TV on a Friday. Enforcing my point.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 24, 2022 9:59 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:40 am
I disagree.

Cell phone alerts are not always timely. Mine has failed to sound for flash flood warnings in the past.

Cell phone coverage up north can be spotty, which can be a problem for tourists especially.

If a phone is uncharged or in another room when an alert is sent, it might not do much good.

I will say Alexa does a marvelous job of sending me NOAA watches, advisories and warnings. I often receive them a few minutes before TV cut-ins.
I agree that EAS remains important, but it is an automated system. The original poster was referencing "Live" coverage. Twitter / Facebook / Snap Chat are "Live" these days. I had video of the incident immediately after it occurred on my phone. Since then, YouTube has offered the best coverage which has all the press conferences plus numerous personal drone and man on the street interviews.

The most comprehensive reporting was by the AP, TV just parroted the press conferences.

― Noam Chomsky

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue May 24, 2022 1:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:40 am
I disagree.

I fully agree with MW: let's keep the EAS alerts on broadcast media.

No cellular network provides anywhere close to 100% coverage in Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula, with T-Mobile providing especially spotty coverage. And in my area, NOAA weather radio station WNG672 in Wolf Lake often gets knocked off the air during severe weather.

Additionally, not everyone has a cellular phone or NOAA weather radio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 24, 2022 2:57 pm

I would rate his performance as good to very good....but the message overall just needed to be take shelter. There is way too much attention on granular prediction of severe weather location and movement; that's all good but the storms move too quickly and erratically to be exacting. Attempting to do so can give people a false sense of security.
Extremely well stated! I completely agree.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 24, 2022 3:01 pm

The entire situation from first Warning issued until the tornado ran out of steam was 14 minutes. What else is there to say but take shelter...

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 24, 2022 7:30 pm

It's not quite that simple. Those in mobile homes, campers, trailers, etc. need to be told to evacuate and seek shelter in a more substantial structure. Those in big box buildings need to be told to stay away from exterior walls and to seek shelter in a reinforced area such as a bathroom or walk-in cooler. Those in cars listening on FM radio need to be told the approximate location of the tornado and speed so that they can make an informed decision to either outrun it or seek shelter in a building.

The number of vehicles on M-32 was quite remarkable as the storm was bearing down. Most of those folks were able to outrun the tornado or avoid a direct hit evidently.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed May 25, 2022 12:47 am

EAS should always be around for those that don't have cell phones or just have TV they need a heads up on where the storms are headed.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic