Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WWTV at low power?

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WWTV at low power?

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:03 pm

The crappier the signal, the more people who sign up for cable, satellite and streaming. That means more retransmission $$$ for WWTV.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:51 pm

Probably lower electric bills, too.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:21 am

Bull Shannon wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:39 am
organman95 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:06 am
The new/current studio building and old studio building burning down happened before they had all their stuff figured out. If you notice there have been more "issues" in their signal since then.

But that's just my observation from what I see posted online.
When was there a fire at their current studio?
Not the current studio. The old studio. Sorry, just realized what I typed is easily misconstrued.

I *think* it was less than a year after moving into the new studio that the old burned down. But their signal had issues before it burned down.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:02 pm

New banner...
Attention Viewers: CH 9 is running on a temporary back-up antenna. We have identified the damaged parts of our main antenna and sent them off to be replaced. Those parts are complete and are now being tested. Estimate for timing is mid to late September.
YMMV

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:44 pm

Finally they are back at full power. Getting 95% signal here in Manistee.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:12 pm

I'm glad to hear full power has been restored; let's hope it stays that way for a long time.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:41 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:12 pm
I'm glad to hear full power has been restored; let's hope it stays that way for a long time.
The 9 signal at my site in Manistee now seems significantly better than it was when the old transmitter was at full power. Here's hoping that their troubles are behind them.

The MeTV subchannel is being IDed as EWTV, which would indicate a transmission site in Belarus.

Noted a Grit subchannel on both 9 and 32. It would be nice if they'd change one feed to another network; I'd personally like to see Heroes & Icons.

Radio Chili

Post by Radio Chili » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:07 am

Nice and strong in Sand Lake now! Seems even better than it was before things got messed up and it had to go to 'low' power.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:48 am

I wonder how deep into Kent County the signal travels if using an outdoor antenna?

Would not surprise me if some folks in Alpine, Plainfield, Cannonsburg and Grattan Twps. are able to receive it (rescan would be required, of course).

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:16 am

Maybe a cool clear night like tonight is the time to roll the dice and rescan. I live just past the Pine Island Drive overpass near US-131 which is relatively high up in my neighborhood.

T’Variuness King

Post by T’Variuness King » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:58 am

Adam has ties to the community, so he's staying. Lauren must be leaving then?

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:01 am

Still getting nothing here in the Tri-Cities area.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:48 am
I wonder how deep into Kent County the signal travels if using an outdoor antenna?

Would not surprise me if some folks in Alpine, Plainfield, Cannonsburg and Grattan Twps. are able to receive it (rescan would be required, of course).
Alas, my hope that the efforts on the WWTV tower would see through completing their CP to increase power (and increase WFQX's as well) haven't seemed to come to fruition. The only recent FCC filing for WWTV was the Resumption of Operations "...at its licensed parameters...." https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... 7&goBack=N

Thus that's the 45 kW ERP, versus the approved CP good through 11/12/2023 to go to 51.8 kW with the same RCA-manufactured antenna.

To MW's point about WWTV reaching Grattan Township: A former colleague of mine had parents that were on one of the higher spots by Grattan (off Lincoln Lake Ave. north of Belding Rd.). He told me that when they installed a rooftop TV antenna with a rotor, they were receiving WWTV, as well as Flint and Lansing market stations (beyond the local Grand Rapids ones).

With WWTV's full power restored, I'm back to almost always receiving their signal via my rooftop high-VHF aerial in Oakfield Township (Greenville mailing address)--and it's pointing toward WILX south of Lansing. Before WWMT did their antenna work in Sept. 2021, WWTV was a more reliable CBS source. Those reading that have caught the OTA TV bug like me might notice my theme of seeking redundancy on major networks and even diginets, with WILX being my NBC backup.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:48 am

Back in the 1960s, I seem to remember that WWTV 9 could be seen quite regularly in Grand Rapids. And before WZZM 13 came on, I remember hearing the audio from WJRT 12 in a Motel room North of Grand Rapids with rabbit ears early on a Summer morning. The WJRT Grade B Contour grazed the Kent County line at the Northern part from its transmitter near Chesaning, and many people with good antennas with rotators watched ABC programs on 12 from 1958 until WZZM signed on. It seems like the area specials with a 3 and 8 antenna pointed toward Gun Lake, got 2 and 5 in Green Bay off the back late at Night, and with the 13 antenna pointed Northwest, 11 from Green Bay late at Night.

The TV Factbook Directories available on worldradiohistory.com show the Grade A and Grade B contours of all commercial stations at that time . In analog signal days, with a decent antenna, you could view signals quite a ways beyond the Grade B contours. Channel 2 and Channel 4 Detroit could be seen much of the time in parts of West Central Michigan, which are at higher elevation, with a decent antenna pointed in that direction.

1966 TV Factbook link.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-B ... -IA-OH.pdf

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic