Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOUF Back! On 750 Petoskey.

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Ben Zonia

WOUF Back! On 750 Petoskey.

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 am

WARD 750 is now WOUF, recycling the call letters from Bear Lake.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Re: WOUF Back! On 750 Petoskey.

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:23 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 am
WARD 750 is now WOUF, recycling the call letters from Bear Lake.
Roy will continue to pursue this tomfoolery until his last days.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:15 pm

I would have kept WARD. It's one of those "word" calls. Isn't Ward his son in law? They don't use them except in the Top of the Hour ID. Or maybe they thought people would associate it with asylums? Or Big City Politics? In any event, it extends a decent format to the far fringes of WLDR's signal.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Milk

Post by Milk » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:43 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:15 pm
I would have kept WARD. It's one of those "word" calls. Isn't Ward his son in law? They don't use them except in the Top of the Hour ID. Or maybe they thought people would associate it with asylums? Or Big City Politics? In any event, it extends a decent format to the far fringes of WLDR's signal.
Ward is the name of one of his sons.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:57 pm

I can guarantee, that only industry insiders, and radio geeks give a single shit about any of this.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:24 am

The WARD call letters could be acquired by someone to form an informal network dedicated to the preservation of "Leave It To Beaver", joining WJUN-AM in Mexico, PA, WBEV-AM in Beaver Dam WI, and WALY-FM in Altoona, PA.

They could run programming like the old "Breakfast With The Beaver" comedy bits that were part of the (I believe) Q105/Tampa morning show in the early 1980's. I have a recording of that somewhere, but most old audio is uncatelogued and on tape, itself a tenuous medium for long-term retrieval.

That extends the subject beyond radio to classic TV, but it's still a niche interest topic.

Dr. Sandi

Post by Dr. Sandi » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:21 pm

Or maybe run lots of great Burt Ward quips from the old Batman TV series.

"Holy drill press Batman! It looks like we've been screwed!"

GenX lives at SuperCFL 94.5 HD4 Olympia - Streaming at http://supercfl.ddns.net:20110

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:38 pm

https://youtu.be/qMEapSB3eDM

Good idea. I thought of this track that could be their theme song.

Dr. Sandi

Post by Dr. Sandi » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:24 am

Yow! I almost can't believe anybody would market something so dirt bike friendly. Thanks youtu.be.

Yeah, let's loop this and run it 24/7 on the new WARD. All Burt, All the Time

GenX lives at SuperCFL 94.5 HD4 Olympia - Streaming at http://supercfl.ddns.net:20110

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm

A new 7kw station has been added by the FCC on 93.3 (not assigned calls yet) a tad east of Arcadia licensed to ... Suzanne D Henderson.

Henderson? In that area right down the road from 92.3 and 99.3? Makes you wonder if she is related to Roy. What is an individual doing with a license instead of a network or company? I'm curious about it.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:21 pm

cckadlec wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm
A new 7kw station has been added by the FCC on 93.3 (not assigned calls yet) a tad east of Arcadia licensed to ... Suzanne D Henderson.

Henderson? In that area right down the road from 92.3 and 99.3? Makes you wonder if she is related to Roy. What is an individual doing with a license instead of a network or company? I'm curious about it.
That's his wife. I don't know if Roy is still able to run his business.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:27 am

cckadlec wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Many "individuals" own radio stations, and are licensee's. As for this one, if it ever gets on the air, I will be shocked. The other nearby stations Roy and his related entities already have are an unmitigated disaster.

We've seen this 93.3 frequency before. The first time was in Glen Arbor. It didn't work out up there either.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:40 pm

93.3 Onekama is one case of where a noncommercial winner would've actually served the public better than the actual winner (Smile FM, Strong Tower Radio, or even EMF, just to name a few). However, I remember there being a slight bidding war between Suzanne and WMOM's current owner for 93.3 Onekama (and 99.9 Custer) during the auction last year.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:11 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:40 pm
93.3 Onekama is one case of where a noncommercial winner would've actually served the public better than the actual winner (Smile FM, Strong Tower Radio, or even EMF, just to name a few). However, I remember there being a slight bidding war between Suzanne and WMOM's current owner for 93.3 Onekama (and 99.9 Custer) during the auction last year.
The last thing that area needs is another radio station. It doesn't matter if it's NPR, CMU, a Jesus-caster, some local operator, or whomever. There's no demand for another OTA signal, no matter how much you radio geeks, Jesus freaks, and other groupies and hangers-on want to believe otherwise.

Why WMOM would even want it is a mystery to me. It would be a drain on their resources. Sure, they may sell a few spots, but then be required to drive 75 miles to collect, when the account is 90 days past due. Long before selling to Roy, even WBNZ was running on fumes.

Not everyone is Del Reynolds, and capable of building a successful regional group of interconnected stations.

since16

Post by since16 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:39 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:11 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:40 pm
The last thing that area needs is another radio station. It doesn't matter if it's NPR, CMU, a Jesus-caster, some local operator, or whomever. There's no demand for another OTA signal, no matter how much you radio geeks, Jesus freaks, and other groupies and hangers-on want to believe otherwise.

Why WMOM would even want it is a mystery to me. It would be a drain on their resources. Sure, they may sell a few spots, but then be required to drive 75 miles to collect, when the account is 90 days past due. Long before selling to Roy, even WBNZ was running on fumes.

Not everyone is Del Reynolds, and capable of building a successful regional group of interconnected stations.

This would be another one of those comments, that "the person has no clue about "radio over here". So I shall clarify from the sources mouth.

We had no plan on acquiring the other station in Onekama, frankly a majority of that signal will be out over the lake and eaten up by the terrain there. Even if we did we would not be traveling to hunt down radio revenue. WMOM is not just a single stand along station, our partnership is linked with 23 restaurants throughout the states, 3 hotels, a golf course and more. We promote these properties in various contests and promotions even if they are outside the market just as much as we promote the local business that do business with. We don't look at OTA radio as much OTA radio, there is the multitude of streaming outlets that we currently stream on, digital platform engagement and cross-promotion between on-air and digital that will always put a radio station ahead of a newspaper or even a TV station (since TV is not too mobile as much as they probably even want to be).

In regards to the new station that we are putting on the air in the Ludington area, your comment in regards "the last thing the area is another station" I think should have been "the area needs more quality stations". The WMOM ditital listening, up 92% over last year, was recently awarded Ludington and Scottville Chamber of Commerce "Small Business of the Year" and is engaged and out in the community 3 to 5 times each week at events.

Del's products were not all they were cracked up to be.

I think when you see the new station on the air soon, maybe you're tune will change about this area. Until then, it's ok to speculate.

As for Roy, we did go back and forth in bidding but it certainly was not on that Onekama frequency. We'll put more stations on in other areas as we grow these brands.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic