Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WATZ cutting heads?

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
bobhuge

WATZ cutting heads?

Post by bobhuge » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:26 am

NMCSpeaks

Re: WATZ cutting heads?

Post by NMCSpeaks » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:48 pm

“OUCH”, indeed!

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:01 pm

New direction? More like he was making too much after being there 30+ years.

If the community is unhappy about this, they need to call and write station management. Just read of another small city DJ getting canned and there was so much backlash that they hired the person back….

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:52 am

I have a feeling they are going to simocast WTCM on WATZ from Traverse City. Obviously it's worked for WKLT joining forces with WRGZ. H*** cost savings here. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:39 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if a 103.5 morning show simulcast is forthcoming. Also wouldn't surprise me if the station goes with one of the several syndicated shows now available for country radio.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:53 pm

How could a town as small and economically challenged as Alpena have live shows at all?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:35 am

Ludington has them. Stations in the the Thumb have them. Adrian has them.

The economics of radio are different in small cities. No big debt loads, often older technology, no wasteful expenditures on things such as HD radio, much smaller sales staffs, etc.

Many people who work in radio in small cities likely have at least one additional source of household income, too.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:35 am
The economics of radio are different in small cities. No big debt loads, often older technology, no wasteful expenditures on things such as HD radio, much smaller sales staffs, etc.
Interesting take, MW. What you missed is the constant drum in the background of the rumor that WTCM et al is for sale. I have no inside info, but the gossip is that the family wants to cash out while it is still worth something. And cutting ANY expenses right now can make the 2022 numbers look.. is the right word "inviting"? ... to a potential new owner.

Does Townsquare still want into TC?

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:33 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Interesting take, MW. What you missed is the constant drum in the background of the rumor that WTCM et al is for sale. I have no inside info, but the gossip is that the family wants to cash out while it is still worth something. And cutting ANY expenses right now can make the 2022 numbers look.. is the right word "inviting"? ... to a potential new owner.

They NEVER wanted in to TC at any point. That ridiculous story was easily debunked :rollin

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:58 pm

107.7 The Bay is still live/local until 6pm last I checked. 99.9 The Wave is live and local mornings. WKJC and Hits FM are live/local most of the day (The Point is 100% satellite). Eagle 101.5 in Gaylord even has live music in studio on Thursdays.

Live and local can be found in the smaller towns... you just have to know where to look.

NMCSpeaks

Post by NMCSpeaks » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:36 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:33 pm
FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

They NEVER wanted in to TC at any point. That ridiculous story was easily debunked :rollin
Colonel Flagg,
Then why the cuts by Midwestern to the “core” of this heritage station going back to the Les Biederman era? You apparently are a source of informed knowledge of Midwestern Broadcasting, as noted in your posts, both recent and beyond including debunked and ridiculous stories involving Midwestern.
Please share with us the implied relationship with Townsquare Media, or lack thereof, and Midwestern Broadcasting.
I recall that it was reported that Townsquare Media DID contact Midwestern Broadcasting some time ago about a sale inquiry and your debunking it is the first time I, and maybe others, have heard this.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:42 pm

Townsquare folks were in town, but who knows why.

Chris has been pairing back in TC over the past few years.

In my opinion, selling would be a hard thing given the unattractive prices stations have been fetching in larger markets.
Last edited by TC Talks on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:46 pm

After 32 years, it might be a retirement

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:08 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:42 pm
In my opinion, selling would be a hard thing given the unattractive prices stations have been fetching in larger markets.
But even you, Mr. Radio NaySayer, would have to admit selling now and getting SOMETHING is better than holding on and getting almost nothing. That's what Langer did.

Also, different from Les' old nemesis to the north, I believe there are no Biederman younger generations interested in maintaining the business.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:57 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:08 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:42 pm
But even you, Mr. Radio NaySayer, would have to admit selling now and getting SOMETHING is better than holding on and getting almost nothing. That's what Langer did.

Also, different from Les' old nemesis to the north, I believe there are no Biederman younger generations interested in maintaining the business.
I believe Trish has partners out west that might start to be involved in Northern Michigan should she ever want to retire.

I look at what happened to Northern broadcasting and I don't have much hope that they're going to walk away feeling whole.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic