Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WBMI 105.5

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
syntheticexctasy

WBMI 105.5

Post by syntheticexctasy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:43 am

Just have to give kudos to the station's owners - I've been north several times recently, and everytime I end up tuning in and listening for a while. While classic country is not my favorite genre, I do get in the mood for it now and then - and when I do I can only hope i'm within range of this station :-P

Now need to work on that website and get a live stream up :)

ChrisWL1980

Re: WBMI 105.5

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:41 pm

They use WW1's classic country format I believe. It's also programmed (and streams) on WRCI in Three Rivers, last I checked. It sounds great.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:06 pm

They do have Town Hall News at the top of every hour that's kinda nice

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:28 pm

Looking at a recent FCC filing,it appears that this station may be taken over by the Smile FM network.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:29 am

Back in 1981 & in 1982, I wanted to hear WWCK in Flint when it was a hard rock station (because it was blocked) instead of WBMI!!!

Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:45 am

Michigan -- Ed and Jennifer Czelada’s Smile FM has filed a $95,000 deal to buy “Classic Hit Country 105.5” WBMI, West Branch, MI from Peggy Warner. Once the deal closes, Smile FM will flip the format to its noncommercial religious contemporary Christian format.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:29 pm

Thus making it, what, the third Smile signal that can be picked up in West Branch? I'm sure 88.3 and 91.9 come in just fine already.
I'd almost rather see it go back off the air entirely.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:19 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:29 pm
Thus making it, what, the third Smile signal that can be picked up in West Branch? I'm sure 88.3 and 91.9 come in just fine already.
I'd almost rather see it go back off the air entirely.
+1

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:58 pm

This also means the Jesus freaks will now be in control of every licensed broadcast signal in Ogemaw County, with the other two being 90.9 WMSD (Rose City) and the Seventh Day Adventists' LPFM at 107.3.

Would be nice if, instead of turning 105.5 into another Chris Tomlin Hit Parade drone, Smile put their Positive Country format (103.7 in the Thumb) there instead. It would be a nice segway from the prior format, plus WCZE plays a lot more actual country and a lot less hick-hop than the pop country competition.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:07 pm

WBMI was a decent sounding station back in the 80's, as rock station "I-105". I believe they used TM Stereo Rock reels, in "live assist" mode, but I could be wrong. It was a hybrid AOR/CHR presentation, similar to what Q106 in Jackson/Lansing was doing at the time. There was also sister station WBMB, a daytime only AM (long since deleted) on 1060, which I believe came on-air in 1965 or so.

The problem with West Branch is there's no money there, and far too many competing signals, many many more since WBMB was built in the 60's, and more still since WBMI arrived in the 80's. When the economy hiccups, that area of mid Michigan (Clare, Harrison, Gladwin, etc) seems to get cancer. The malaise lingers. As far as what to do with a facility like this, I don't know the answer. WBMB/WBMI has changed hands many times over the years. There are only so many Friday fish fry's you can promote.
Last edited by Colonel Flagg on Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:15 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:07 pm
WBMI was a decent sounding station back in the 80's, as rock station "I-105". I believe they used TM Stereo Rock reels, in "live assist" mode, but I could be wrong. It was a hybrid AOR/CHR presentation, similar to what Q106 in Jackson/Lansing was doing at the time. There was also sister station WBKB, a daytime only AM (long since deleted) on 1060, which I believe came on-air in 1965 or so.

The problem with West Branch is there's no money there, and far too many competing signals, many many more since WBKB was built in the 60's, and more still since WBMI arrived in the 80's. When the economy hiccups, that area of mid Michigan (Clare, Harrison, Gladwin, etc) seems to get cancer. The malaise lingers. As far as what to do with a facility like this, I don't know the answer. WBKB/WBMIBecause has changed hands many times over the years. There are only so many Friday fish fry's you can promote.
It was WBMB 1060. The problem with WBMB was also bad ground conductivity, particularly to the North and West where it is hilly, dry, and sandy, much less than M-3, and the fact that they are inside the KYW 1060 protected skywave contour, so no hope for full-time, even like WHFB 1060 with 1.3 watts Night, which is just outside the KYW protected skywave contour. Because that is a hilly region to the NW, it also affects the FM. 105.5 used to be in St. Helen, serving the Houghton Lake area. You would think that it could survive commercially, West Branch being a big stopping off point on the I-75 corridor. Note that WB is where the SE Michigan AM Day signals start to take a precipitous drop off going North.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:26 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
WBMI was a decent sounding station back in the 80's, as rock station "I-105". I believe they used TM Stereo Rock reels, in "live assist" mode, but I could be wrong. It was a hybrid AOR/CHR presentation, similar to what Q106 in Jackson/Lansing was doing at the time. There was also sister station WBMB, a daytime only AM (long since deleted) on 1060, which I believe came on-air in 1965 or so.

The problem with West Branch is there's no money there, and far too many competing signals, many many more since WBMB was built in the 60's, and more still since WBMI arrived in the 80's. When the economy hiccups, that area of mid Michigan (Clare, Harrison, Gladwin, etc) seems to get cancer. The malaise lingers. As far as what to do with a facility like this, I don't know the answer. WBMB/WBMI has changed hands many times over the years. There are only so many Friday fish fry's you can promote.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:31 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:15 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
WBMI was a decent sounding station back in the 80's, as rock station "I-105". I believe they used TM Stereo Rock reels, in "live assist" mode, but I could be wrong. It was a hybrid AOR/CHR presentation, similar to what Q106 in Jackson/Lansing was doing at the time. There was also sister station WBKB, a daytime only AM (long since deleted) on 1060, which I believe came on-air in 1965 or so.

The problem with West Branch is there's no money there, and far too many competing signals, many many more since WBKB was built in the 60's, and more still since WBMI arrived in the 80's. When the economy hiccups, that area of mid Michigan (Clare, Harrison, Gladwin, etc) seems to get cancer. The malaise lingers. As far as what to do with a facility like this, I don't know the answer. WBKB/WBMIBecause has changed hands many times over the years. There are only so many Friday fish fry's you can promote.
It was WBMB 1060. The problem with WBMB was also bad ground conductivity, particularly to the North and West where it is hilly, dry, and sandy, much less than M-3, and the fact that they are inside the KYW 1060 protected skywave contour, so no hope for full-time, even like WHFB 1060 with 1.3 watts Night, which is just outside the KYW protected skywave contour. Because that is a hilly region to the NW, it also affects the FM. 105.5 used to be in St. Helen, serving the Houghton Lake area. You would think that it could survive commercially, West Branch being a big stopping off point on the I-75 corridor. Note that WB is where the SE Michigan AM Day signals start to take a precipitous drop off going North.
Fixed. Thanks, Ben. No idea why I put a "K" in there. Senior moment, maybe. I knew there was a St. Helen station at one time, but never knew it was on 105.5, or even on FM, for that matter.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:00 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:

Sounds like WBMI has the same issue that Standish’s 96.9 WSTD (yes, their call letters were inadvertently an abbreviation of sexually transmitted diseases) did. Both came on in the 80’s when the FCC seemed to be giving new radio station allotments out left and right. WSTD had an AC format and tried to hyper focus on Arenac County / Standish area. Problem is they were only 30 minutes north of the Tri Cities and that area picks up every Tri Citu radio station with ease. Ended up selling or donating the station to Central Michigan University

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:54 am

I know I saw it somewhere. I looked through several years of BYs and didn't find more information on 105.5 St. Helen, but the only thing I found was about 1590 moving from Roscommon to Grayling so far. In the 1963 BY there was this about WCCW 1310. "Special Programs-Spanish 3 hours weekly (Summers Only)", which was the World Radio History Archive Creator and Curator David Gleason's first Spanish Language radio program. I know 105.5 288A was assigned to St. Helen. It must not have lasted long, or maybe just an unbuilt CP. I'll look in other years.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic