Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mark Pennington joins The Bear for mornings

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.

BayCityJohn2337

Re: Mark Pennington joins The Bear for mornings

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:08 am

Constant changes over there.

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:25 pm

My prediction is that Black Diamond will hire the most popular and talented people who were discarded by Big Corporate Owners in Detroit, and use them to build statewide networks of same format stations that they acquire and LMA. When they have a big enough network, they will be able to deliver competitive salaries to stations in Detroit, and lure other popular and talented people away. Look, a Detroit station already had to rehire Ann Carlini in Detroit, in addition to her Black Diamond shift.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:10 am

Kennelly Heaviside wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:25 pm
My prediction is that Black Diamond will hire the most popular and talented people who were discarded by Big Corporate Owners in Detroit, and use them to build statewide networks of same format stations that they acquire and LMA. When they have a big enough network, they will be able to deliver competitive salaries to stations in Detroit, and lure other popular and talented people away. Look, a Detroit station already had to rehire Ann Carlini in Detroit, in addition to her Black Diamond shift.
I think you're mistaking voicetracked talent for salaried employees. They may indeed build a network utilizing voicetracked talent from Detroit or any other market across the country, but I can't imagine them expanding the on-air lineup with local personalities and offering competitive salaries along the way.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:43 am

Pennington did only limited on-air work at WRIF. He's capable but likely will not create destination listening for The Bear.

I was underwhelmed by his programming abilities. Horrible audio processing, very dull creative / production work, and awful "rock girl" music reports are the hallmarks of his tenure at WRIF.

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:59 am

Because of the calamity of the last fifteen months, many personalities are operating from home studios, as well as voice tracking. I suspect that Jim Harper does for WLXT, and Anne Carlini for WGFM/WGFE. This trend will most likely continue. Del Reynolds and Brian Brachel have been bringing the home studio concept to Northern Michigan for a decade or more. It's not really new. Bill Lamb in Grand Blanc used a home studio using a Marti transmitter in the 1960s.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:58 pm

Has anyone had a chance to check out the 95.1 FM translator in TC? Just curious if it indeed is penetrating office buildings down on front street? I had a listen online and seems voice tracked in the morning

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:37 am

I listened for a very short while last week....there were a couple of morning show guys on that were saying "like" every other word, and as a result, sounded like a couple of 13 year old girls.

Tuned out, back to streaming.

Another nail in the broadcasting coffin.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:13 am

Pennington did a mediocre job programming WRIF, and one of his understudies there (Jade Springart) sounds absolutely horrible behind the mic.

WRIF was overloaded with clutter during his tenure and the imaging was devoid of any creativity.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:20 pm

I don't think Bear listeners really give a fuck. It's elevator music for Boomers.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:21 am

A boring personality on a station that offers musical comfort food. Seems like a good fit.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:59 pm

I don't know where they find these people?
Job requirements have a heart beat and a pulse. Pay is 23,000 a year. Weekends nights and Holidays included. All aboard to radio land.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic