Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bill Vogel

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Ben Zonia

Re: Bill Vogel

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:19 pm

"Vogel" is actually a fairly common surname, along with variants like Fogel, and many others less obvious, and Bird and Byrd in English. Perhaps the name came from the person's ancestors raising and hunting birds for food. There are all types of variations like this with fish also, from the very common surnames Fisher, Fischer, Fish, Fisk, Pesch, and Pesci in various languages, where ancestors were fisherman or otherwise in the fish industry.

I've recently noticed a number of people with radio connections named Baum, meaning tree in Germanic languages.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:43 pm

To Frosty's assertion, Hally Vogel's bio says she was born and raised in Ohio.

Doesn't preclude lineage to The Captain, just doesn't look likely.

I got to Cadillac in late 1984 and though he was working relatively far away, it was clear he was the Big Kahuna in the region. Rest in Peace.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:06 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:43 pm
...I got to Cadillac in late 1984 and though he was working relatively far away, it was clear he was the Big Kahuna in the region. Rest in Peace.
Indeed, Blessings to his family to know that his sole suffers no more to any degree on this mortal Earth.

Regarding his domicile while alive, I'm aware that during the early 90s his son was attending Charlevoix High School up North. Definitely not uncommon up there for those employed in Petoskey (where the KHQ studios are) to commute from the Charlevoix school district area (or most any portion of Charlevoix county, except Drummond Island), and vice versa.

Tangentially, shopping runs to Petoskey are to be expected. To this day, the zoning and such for the City of Charlevoix and adjacent Charlevoix Township have successfully kept "Big Box" stores from being built, after the original construction of the recently-closed Kmart. My friends and relatives often make the drive across the drawbridge, along the lakeshore, and on to the commercial zone on the south side of Petoskey for Meijer, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 am

statmanmi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:06 pm
Trophyhead wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:43 pm
...I got to Cadillac in late 1984 and though he was working relatively far away, it was clear he was the Big Kahuna in the region. Rest in Peace.
Indeed, Blessings to his family to know that his sole suffers no more to any degree on this mortal Earth.

Regarding his domicile while alive, I'm aware that during the early 90s his son was attending Charlevoix High School up North. Definitely not uncommon up there for those employed in Petoskey (where the KHQ studios are) to commute from the Charlevoix school district area (or most any portion of Charlevoix county, except Drummond Island), and vice versa.

Tangentially, shopping runs to Petoskey are to be expected. To this day, the zoning and such for the City of Charlevoix and adjacent Charlevoix Township have successfully kept "Big Box" stores from being built, after the original construction of the recently-closed Kmart. My friends and relatives often make the drive across the drawbridge, along the lakeshore, and on to the commercial zone on the south side of Petoskey for Meijer, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi
Petoskey recently annexed Bay Harbor all the way to the Charlevoix County line. It was justified by city water and services as I recall reading. There is already a large Medical Complex across from Bay Harbor. Petoskey and Charlevoix are quickly growing together.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

craigrussell100

Post by craigrussell100 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:26 pm

EXCEPT the KHQ studios were IN DT Charlevoix for many years, above the Villager Pub. They only moved to Petoskey when Trish bought them, to move in with Lite 96...that sale happened in 1994, but I dont remember if they moved right away....

You like corn?

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:38 pm

If they ever finish closing the deal, WSRT 106.7 will soon be at the MacDonald Garber Studios. Remember that the WWRM/WKPK 106.7 Studios used to be on the second floor, overlooking the Glen's Market sales floor in Gaylord, now Family Fare.

-Author Unknown

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:27 pm

craigrussell100 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:26 pm
EXCEPT the KHQ studios were IN DT Charlevoix for many years, above the Villager Pub. They only moved to Petoskey when Trish bought them, to move in with Lite 96...that sale happened in 1994, but I dont remember if they moved right away....
TIL ("Today I Learned") that the KHQ studios were above the Villager in Charlevoix.

I only remember seeing the sign "up the hill" immediately south of Petoskey on US-131 years ago.

My best friend moved to Charlevoix in late 1994 as I think back to recall the year--which has prompted many visits to the Villager in the years since.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic