Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WBMI 1055 Back on the Air

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
BayCityJohn2337

WBMI 1055 Back on the Air

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:09 pm

WBMI West Branch is back with the ever popular country gold format. (Dial Global Satellite Feed)
The station appears to be running at reduced power. No local spots airing, but a station ID at the top of the hour.

bmw

Re: WBMI 1055 Back on the Air

Post by bmw » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:41 am

They're definitely running on reduced power. Here in Tawas City, before going silent, they used to have a marginally listenable car radio signal. Now there's barely a smattering when driving through town - barely more of a smattering than WWCK normally reaches here. On stronger DX days, CK 105 is the dominant signal.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:53 am

They no longer have a website.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:02 am

It appears WBMI Is back up to full power. Signal is getting out to towns like Standish and Tawas great.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:58 pm

Here's my idea-Interstate 105.5, a 105.5 simulcast serving the I-75 Corridor from Toledo to Houghton Lake. Get a format worth hearing and put it on WQQO Sylvania, buy W288BK Rochester Hills (best with an upgrade and as an AM translator), WWCK-FM Flint, and buy WBMI West Branch.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:55 pm

Nah - it would be great if the owners of Oscoda’s Thunder Rock 100.7 bought it and simulcast the signal over there. According to Radio Locater, there’s only one classic rock station that reaches that area - Q100 from Grayling - and they have a very eccentric format anyway.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:56 pm

I'm surprised WUPS never went full-on classic rock thru all these years.

Mount Pleasant, Clare, Gladwin, and West Branch haven't had access to a pure classic rock station on a full power FM signal in forever! In fact, I think many of those areas have never had the format.

WUPS plays a wide enough selection of that genre to keep most classic rock enthusiasts in the area satisfied, I suspect.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:54 pm

Have you listened to UPS lately? While it’s somewhat rock leaning, they have enough over played hits from the 70’s and 80’s in their very tight playlist. I can only listen to short doses of it before a crappy song comes on.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:41 am

Seldom if ever do I hear a song on there that makes me go "wow, sure is great hearing that one."

Their playlist has never been my cup of tea, but I dislike WHMI in Howell even more.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:40 pm

I miss the WUPS of the late 90s-early 2000s. At the time they were criticized repeatedly on these forums for being a "trainwreck" but I thoroughly enjoyed their deep playlist of everything from 80s to Hot AC to adult CHR to even some alternative-leaning stuff. They were very quick to add new stuff that literally nobody else was playing yet too. They even aired for a brief stint a syndicated rhythmic show hosted by Shadoe Stevens (The World Atomic Rhythm Party).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Many of us liked that era of WUPS, actually. It was the era immediately after that one that drew a lot of scorn.

The station was also a very boring listen in the mid 90s (when it featured a 70s / 80s format), although I did like the Mark Driscoll voiceovers and KIIS-inspired jingle package.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:14 pm

I thought the station was well-done during their "big mix of the '80s and '90s" phase circa 1998. I recall some rhythmic hits like Brandy & Monica's "The Boy Is Mine" and Next's "Too Close" even in regular rotation then. It sounded pretty well put together even though I only got to hear that era once or twice. It was nice having another option on the dial for contemporary music alongside KHQ, The Peak, Bay 108 and what was then Z95 (now Eagle 101.5) when I vacationed in the Gaylord area. FWIW, seems to me they were doing something not unlike what WCDY in Cadillac does these days. Even CDY has a syndicated hip-hop show on Saturday nights (or at least did last I listened).

Not long afterward was the UPS "AOR" (All Over the Road) era where one could hear songs like "Take a Picture" by Filter, "A Little Respect" by Erasure, and "Magic Bus" by The Who all in the same hour. At times it was almost like a more polished version of Cruise 102 in Bad Axe. While that era has its detractors (I enjoyed it personally, but I prefer wider playlists), at least it didn't have jocks referring to Lindsey Buckingham as a "she." LOL

FWIW, I recall WBMI as a satellite-fed oldies station (Jones?) in that era.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:57 am

So were there 2 phases to their current music era or just 1? I seem to remember their format being fairly consistent throughout their entire time that I listened to them play current hits (roughly 1998 through 2001) - I remember specifically that they'd do a "30 minute music marathon" every hour, starting at about 5 minutes before the top of the hour and capping off with a brand new song at about :20 past the hour (yes, I listened to that station obsessively for a few years, enough to notice those kinds of details), and they'd play one or two 80s songs per hour (usually referred to as a "retro replay"). I know that at least the latter half of that era used the "we deliver the hits" moniker, but I don't remember if it started out with that. I don't think I ever listened in 1996 or 1997, though I do very vaguely remember the "boring" era of the mid 1990s MW is referring to (I was pretty young then and think I stumbled across it a time or two on the dial before I ever even knew of the existence of this station).

Most memorable to me was the once-per-hour new song they'd play, a lot of that stuff they took a gamble on that ended up being songs that never charted well but gave some unique variety to the station; some specific songs I remember were:
-Neve - It's Over Now
-Paula Cole - I Believe in Love
-Green Day - Warning
-Jude - Rick James
-Def Leppard - Now
-No Doubt - Simple Kind of Life

...just to name a few.
Their format certainly wasn't perfect - they played too much Madonna (her current stuff at the time), boy and girl band stuff, Bon Jovi, Ricky Martin, Kid Rock, etc, but it was never enough to make me change the station.

Then sometime I think in fall of 2002 they ditched their rhythmic product entirely as well as a good chunk (though not all) of their rock-leaning currents and put 70s music back into the rotation. I remember emailing them complaining about the change and getting a fairly blunt response along the lines of "most of our listeners complain about the new music we play and quite frankly our decision to ever go this direction in the first place was perhaps a mistake."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:44 am

Yeah, the playlist during the "Big Mix" era and the couple years immediately following was good. Wasn't crazy about ditching the call letters from IDs during the "Big Mix" days, though.

WUPS was originally an Adult CHR from about 1990-ish (basically, the date the WUPS calls were first adopted) to maybe 1992 or 1993, if I remember correctly.

1993/1994 was a horrible era in Cadillac area radio. WUPS flipped to all 70's and Hot 96.7 WWLZ flipped to Soft AC - rebroadcasting WLXT - at nearly the same time. Circa 1995, Power 102.3 in Big Rapids flipped to a very milquetoast satellite fed Hot AC format and eliminated all local programming except for mornings.

In the mid 90's, there was no current based rock station, no CHR/Pop station with a signal worth a damn (WKHQ and WKPK could be heard in parts of town with a very good receiver), and barely a Hot AC station (102.3 from Big Rapids) available in Cadillac. Other than a Modern AC station disguised as alternative rock (95.5 The Zone) or Country, there was no outlet for trendy music on the FM dial.

I'm not sure what came first - 96.7 ditching the 96.3 simulcast in favor of launching autonomous programming as Mix 96, or WUPS ditching Adult CHR / Hot AC for a return to 70's & 80's music.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:48 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:44 am
In the mid 90's, there was no current based rock station, no CHR/Pop station with a signal worth a damn (WKHQ and WKPK could be heard in parts of town with a very good receiver), and barely a Hot AC station (102.3 from Big Rapids) available in Cadillac. Other than a Modern AC station disguised as alternative rock (95.5 The Zone) or Country, there was no outlet for trendy music on the FM dial.
I could only imagine the Ludington/Manistee area being even worse at the time. The only CHR/Pop that even put a fringe signal into either was WIXX (WKHQ and WKPK might have been doable at times). WMOM had yet to arrive, Wild 99.7 was several years away, and WKLA was Hot AC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic