Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Blarney Stone broadcasting opens a Go Fund Me page.

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.

Ben Zonia

Re: Blarney Stone broadcasting opens a Go Fund Me page.

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Maybe they should go noncommercial?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:44 pm

After watching that video, I have one thought:

Seriously? Wow....

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm not donating to the local station. I don't listen to it and don't care for the "content" of obscurity.

Milk

Post by Milk » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:20 pm

I wonder how their lawsuit with Henderson's going....

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:27 pm

The ads sound like they are expired.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Dr. Sandi

Post by Dr. Sandi » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:18 pm

As a nearly broke but determined station operator myself, I can see the wisdom of asking the neighbors for a little help right now. Let's be honest, public radio is doing pretty much the same thing running a ton of underwriting, then asking for pledges to balance the budget.

To be honest, except for being too damned proud, I've been considering doing something like this for my little sort of commercial but not too commercial operation in Washington State.

I grew up listening to WHGR in Houghton Lake, so I know how important the local folks can be to making the station work.

Good luck Blarney Stone, it takes nerve.

GenX lives at SuperCFL 94.5 HD4 Olympia - Streaming at http://supercfl.ddns.net:20110

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:31 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:23 pm
They aren't good enough to be a noncom. IPR has twice the staff, WCMU reaches half the lower peninsula, WNMC has over 35 dj's broadcasting remotely this week.

B.S. runs marginal playlists with a handful of live talent. It's not a serious competitor for listeners.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 pm

I'm shocked. Ya mean North FM isn't a cash cow? :eek

Sounds like more FM stations in the northland are about to go dark. Not good.

Is WIAA still simulcasting on 105.5 in the TC area?

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:06 pm

I saw this. I guess if it were my station, if someone gave me money to help my operations, I would talk about them on my station. Sometimes, i would even repeatedly thank them. Maybe, I would thank them more if they gave me more money.

See where I'm going on this.....

Dr. Sandi

Post by Dr. Sandi » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:13 pm

There are plenty of lousy noncomms out there that SOMEBODY loves. Maybe only their mommy and daddy.

Doesn't mean stations shouldn't ask for money to keep the lights on. Especially now when a lot of those local sponsors are sitting at home instead of making a living. Perfect time to ask for direct help from the community when the sponsors are in a world of hurt.

But yeah, you DO have to have a product that somebody's willing to pay for before you can hope to get paid for it.

GenX lives at SuperCFL 94.5 HD4 Olympia - Streaming at http://supercfl.ddns.net:20110

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:38 pm
Sounds like more FM stations in the northland are about to go dark. Not good.
Is WIAA still simulcasting on 105.5 in the TC area?
WIAA is on 105.5 and 94.7 in downtown TC. I get nothing on 88.7.

Many of these commercial stations don't even show up in the book while Interlochen ranks 4th and 5th and wnmc ranks about 8 in the market.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Dr. Sandi wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:18 pm
Good luck Blarney Stone, it takes nerve.
Like many others on this forum, I've taken some shots at Blarney Stone here as we witnessed their empire-via-LMA collapse right before our eyes.

To see the Coynes making a plea for help from listeners on YouTube, however, was very sad. To continue to make sport of them at this point would amount to kicking a man when he's down.

They do have a decent product in WQON. I hope they can continue to make a go of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:00 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:31 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:23 pm
They aren't good enough to be a noncom. IPR has twice the staff, WCMU reaches half the lower peninsula, WNMC has over 35 dj's broadcasting remotely this week.

B.S. runs marginal playlists with a handful of live talent. It's not a serious competitor for listeners.
You were bragging about WQON a few years ago and that all your friends listened to it, what changed?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:10 am

WQON sort of fell apart after Blarney Stone lost the KLT LMA. I try to listen but it's not a cool as it was when they first flipped.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic