Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is radio relevant anymore in a crisis?

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
northradiotruth

Is radio relevant anymore in a crisis?

Post by northradiotruth » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:59 am

As a fan of radio my whole life I never thought I'd say this but local radio to me has become irrelevant during this pandemic. The information is moving so fast and changes hourly. Detroit voice Trackers aren't cutting it for Northern Michigan information. Some jocks seem to be hours or even days behind what is going on. I'm sure they are doing the best they can but the internet and Television seem to be winning the day.

organman95

Re: Is radio relevant anymore in a crisis?

Post by organman95 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 am

For news? No. But even with music apps out there, I do believe radio is still relevant. Not everyone has Pandora, Spotify, etc.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:14 am

I am disappointed at the lack of local, timely news on the radio. This seems like a good time for radio to shine, but they don't seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary. I'm not aware of any specials, extended news broadcasts, etc. Maybe the ad revenue just isn't there and stations just don't have the resources to do anything extra. I assume ad revenue is down and must be hurting stations.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:43 pm

I know WNMC has been doing a very comprehensive job every morning. They have had epidemiologists and a munson nurse talking about this. I heard something at 5p too...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:08 pm

On WLXT, we've spent time every morning talking about the latest developments. This morning, we talked to school superintendents about the implications of the Governor's Executive Order. Two Fridays ago (which seems like a long time ago) we spent all morning interviewing experts in every aspect of the current crisis. (Then put an edited version together for later listening.) And since most of that info is now outdated, we're spending next week with updates. Local radio is relevant.. in my humble opinion.

http://www.lite96.com/episode/lite-brea ... versation/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic