Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

102.7 wmom back on air

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ADD in TC

Re: 102.7 wmom back on air

Post by ADD in TC » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:01 am

That top of hour ID sounds a lot like Tim Nixon,formally at 95.7 in Grand Rapids.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:39 pm

Given that the TOH news is from “USA Radio News” (which is a conservative leaning radio network), it makes me wonder if WMOM is going to talk radio...

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Is WLDN still around?

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:14 am

ADD in TC wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:59 pm
Is WLDN still around?
Yes, and still simulcasting with 97.7 in Manistee. Their schedule seems to change a lot. They have Colin Cowherd in early afternoons followed by an old time radio hour.

IMHO, WKLA-FM and WLDN should swap frequencies (with WKLA moving to the much stronger 98.7 and WLDN moving to 96.3, which barely reaches Manistee).
Realist wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:39 pm
Given that the TOH news is from “USA Radio News” (which is a conservative leaning radio network), it makes me wonder if WMOM is going to talk radio...
I think WGLM and WION (half-sister stations) have TOH news from USA Radio News, but I'm not 100% certain on that. Also, USA Radio News is basically the only option as ABC News is on Eagle 101.5 and FOX News is on WLDN/WMLQ as well as WTCM-FM.
since16 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:20 am
I can verify that the station is not running at low power. Running at 100% of power. Monitored station just north of Montague, north of Manistee and Wellston. Started to pick up scratch signal even as far as Kent City. Pretty amazing for a 6kw station.
From my observations in Manistee, WMOM is around the same signal strength it always has been. Kent City is fairly impressive considering that's within 20 miles of 102.9 WFUR (which thankfully doesn't run HD). I would also imagine it stretches into parts of the Wisconsin coast (I saw somewhere WMOM is partially why WRVM, which is also on 102.7, bought a full-power station in Sturgeon Bay and built one in Sheboygan)

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:13 pm

since16 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:20 am
I can verify that the station is not running at low power. Running at 100% of power. Monitored station just north of Montague, north of Manistee and Wellston. Started to pick up scratch signal even as far as Kent City. Pretty amazing for a 6kw station.

Station is not going to launch format until everything is ready. Christmas music to accomplish two things 1) to confirm station is back on the air and 2) to spread a little cheer during this COVID-19 time.

Running news at the top of each our as well, along with that legal ID. Certainly no need to have talk or commercials before a new format relaunch.

So all is good.
Not sure why the signal is abnormally crappy here in Fremont. Still overall poor and staticy. Poor heading into Muskegon as well as compared to in the past, though not too bad overall. No complaints really. As someone who is a DXer, I value having locals that aren't TOO local. WMOM has always been one that WRVM could take out on any day with good conditions and V103 batters it on the right days too, but here at home (higher elevation on the third floor), WMOM has always been quite strong as compared to at ground level. Not sure why it's not this time around. Hmm!

Though I really enjoyed having the open frequency to work with, I can't speak anything bad about a station like WMOM that is local and seems like it's going to stay local. It's great to hear.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:48 pm

i would agree that their signal is a tad bit weaker than they were last year. I notice that they get some static inference around the m37-55 junction. Maybe something to do with there audio level but prob not. They do have better processing and listenable distance then WKLA 96.3 does but almost everyone does.
Sure is nice to have local radio back in ludington again. WMTE out of Manistee does a great job also but they only focus on Manistee.

I do hope they go back to top 40 with the music mix they had before they added alt rock to the mix. boy was it hard to get family and friends to listen due to hearing pop music then going to Sarj Tankien "empty walls". Maybe a low power "alt rock or new rock" station would be nice in ludignton area too.

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:00 pm

may be just me but I hope they refer to themselves as 102 dot 7 and not 102 point 7.

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:59 am

wmom got a new temp format this morning. All 80’s for the next few weeks till they launch there new format.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:49 am

Their Facebook page mentions an announcement on Friday (4/10) at 9:30am

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue May 19, 2020 8:54 pm

WMOM is back OFF the air starting today for up to 4 days while they move to their new tower site and get set up. News for those who somehow didn't listen to the dead air and enjoy the other stations for the whole year they were off.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Looks like they have a CP to decrease licensed ERP from 6.0 kW to 2.65 kW from roughly the same height above sea level at a site a few miles to the ESE of the currently licensed site. Certainly, the CP tech specs have lesser overall predicted range than the currently licensed specs. I presume the power decrease was to maintain proper protection vis-a-vis 102.9 WFUR-FM in Grand Rapids.

I listened online recently. The station was no longer doing all 80's. The new format seems to be in place - basically, an uptempo Adult Contemporary playlist spiced up with a couple rhythmic gold tracks here & there that might not be normally played on an AC. The music library seems impressive, too. I think the format is a good choice and should fill a large void locally.

I'm hearing a decent dose of local commercials on the online stream. That's a good sign, and I'll add that the production quality of those spots is quite good.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue May 19, 2020 11:16 pm

WRVM's engineer told me the other day that they enjoyed their year without ridiculous interference to their coverage area, but that WMOM is back to its usual of causing interference, especially around Sheboygan, as is the normal path between the two markets. Of course, it's the other way around on this side, as we know.

WMOM still has a downright crappy signal in the Fremont area. I am just so reluctant to believe it is at the power it used to be and is almost entirely absent by the time I'm in Newaygo, every day. As a DXer, I'm obviously perfectly fine with that. The reach of their signal is totally irrelevant now since the signal is gone and will be replaced entirely. We'll see how the new tower site and power goes for them and if it continues to pack a punch to WRVM's signal along the shore and see how far inland it will go in this area.

And I agree, they have a wide mix of music (80s to now, as advertised on their Facebook even) and are doing a great job. None of that typical stunting and secretive BS other stations pull. Sure, they DID (with the Christmas music) but were always up front about their reasons (to secure their license post-STA) and have made special announcements and kept listeners and advertisers up-to-date with their happenings and plans for the future. I think people appreciate that kind of transparency and are more willing to support them for that. Heck, I've sent e-mails to numerous stations and the rate of reply may be 10% if I'm lucky. They don't give a crap. But a local station that wants to be beneficial to the community, not only rake in money from the community for some national corporation... people will support that.

since16

Post by since16 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:42 pm

Some points to assist with the string.

* Station most likely will not stick with the 80s, 90s, today format but keeping it under wraps (whatever it maybe) until the relaunch Friday. Great feedback on it, but the rollout, things the station will be doing will continue to make it the top station in the market (opinion of course) :).

* The CP was filed because the original owner had sold the land and tower prior to new owners coming on board and there was a timeline that the land owner required for the station to move. That deadline surprisingly worked well with the sale of the station.

* As of today (actually today) the station closed and monies transferred, purchase agreements signed, etc and the new owners have full ownership/control of the station.

* Upgrades to the station including moving from over-the-air STL, new studio equipment, transmitter equipment (not transmitter itself, that is in the works).

* Lots and lots of feedback from the community, business owners overall general consensus is that they missed a solid radio station in the market and the hope is to bring that back to them.

Hope that helps clarify a couple of things.

since16

Post by since16 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:50 pm

I think you are 100% right it's about the local connection, the investment and even thru all of this trying to take over a station during a pandemic crisis was probably the last thing on many people's minds. How to expect advertisers to want to advertise when everyone is in lock down or to ensure you get necessary essentials to put the station back on the air. In one way it is the best time, others ways worse time of course. The one thing to remember is that if done right, can be a great radio station (again).

The bleed back and forth across the lake will probably still remain. I don't think that will ever be fixed unless maybe a couple of translators are put in place on this side of the lake ;).

As for power, roughly about 90 to 95% of power. With our new engineering team in place, should be able to perfect that. Looking to invest in solid state transmitter here soon which will make a lot of difference. But, as you know, takes time and $$$ and not starting a GoFundMe page to do that either.

Contests are good indication as well that the listeners are there. Phone banks light up like a Christmas Tree (don' t mind the pung) and with a large amount of phone numbers too. Certainly not tooting own horn, but the transparency and true commitment to doing radio, or at least trying to the right way is on the forefront of the new owners plate each and every day.
cckadlec wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:16 pm
WRVM's engineer told me the other day that they enjoyed their year without ridiculous interference to their coverage area, but that WMOM is back to its usual of causing interference, especially around Sheboygan, as is the normal path between the two markets. Of course, it's the other way around on this side, as we know.

WMOM still has a downright crappy signal in the Fremont area. I am just so reluctant to believe it is at the power it used to be and is almost entirely absent by the time I'm in Newaygo, every day. As a DXer, I'm obviously perfectly fine with that. The reach of their signal is totally irrelevant now since the signal is gone and will be replaced entirely. We'll see how the new tower site and power goes for them and if it continues to pack a punch to WRVM's signal along the shore and see how far inland it will go in this area.

And I agree, they have a wide mix of music (80s to now, as advertised on their Facebook even) and are doing a great job. None of that typical stunting and secretive BS other stations pull. Sure, they DID (with the Christmas music) but were always up front about their reasons (to secure their license post-STA) and have made special announcements and kept listeners and advertisers up-to-date with their happenings and plans for the future. I think people appreciate that kind of transparency and are more willing to support them for that. Heck, I've sent e-mails to numerous stations and the rate of reply may be 10% if I'm lucky. They don't give a crap. But a local station that wants to be beneficial to the community, not only rake in money from the community for some national corporation... people will support that.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed May 20, 2020 9:24 am

As I've seen on here, WMOM is at least part of the reason why WRVM built the full-power 90.9 in Sheboygan and bought the 88.5 in Sturgeon Bay (around the same time WPFF was sold to K-Love)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic