Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WJML

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ChrisWL1980

Re: WJML

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:56 pm

What happens to 960 WHAK?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:01 pm

106.7/105.5 were usually around a 1.5 share, and that was with no play by play rights for any of the Detroit teams, MSU, or U-M.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:19 pm

They weren't a.m.

Look at how 1310 performed.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Anything on AM that isn't WTCM will earn terrible ratings.

jlpeterson1957

Post by jlpeterson1957 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:40 pm

DAC wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:17 pm
jlpeterson1957 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:48 pm
Class Action was the JAM Package JML was using when I got there in Nov of 1979: http://www.jingles.com/jam/radioids/ClassAction.php
That was truly a great jingle package, and gave JML a big city sound. The station had what I would call a "tight" sound, and the live jocks 24/7 were all great or at least very good. I'm remembering Jeff Peterson, Art Morrison, Gerry Noble, Rob Hazelton, among others. Perhaps an exception was whoever played the American Top 40 records in the wrong order on Sunday mornings for a few weeks in a row around 1981. I wish I could remember last week as well as I remember the 80s.

The Big Question: Why did JML just let KHQ take over their target listeners? It seems like they just rolled over and gave up. Does anyone have any info on that?
Looks like I never answered this.

When KHQ went on the air in 1980 we were playing up to 36 commercials at 18 minutes per hour. KHQ comes on with their eight minutes of spots in four two-minute stopsets, so it seemed like all we did was play commercials while KHQ was playing music. Plus, JML management downstate was convinced that the only people who would listen to KHQ were teenagers so by the end of 1980 they had us remove all the things which had electric guitars in them and brought in a programmer from Detroit who had A/C experience. It was the perfect storm for a disaster. KHQ also had patience, which our management didn't.

Not too long after KHQ went on the air and everyone's perception was that they were so "different," Rob Hazleton had me listen to KHQ one night from 7-12p while I was on the air and I just duplicated everything they played, which looking back 40+ years probably wasn't the brightest thing to do. lol

We flip-flopped a few more times between playing super soft stuff along with the ghastly "whisper" jingles, then went more contemporary while Bob & Tom were there when I was PD. B&T left, then they replaced me with another downstate programmer after the morning guy management brought in was a disaster.

It was a lot of fun, though, especially in 1979-1980 when we had the market to ourselves, blowing out the phone lines with contests and the like.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Mon May 03, 2021 11:35 am

Last night,translator 101.1 was airing CBS sports radio.

Today,1110AM and the translator is airing The Ramsey Show during the 11am hour.

Am 1210 is still off air.

Word had it,WJML was going to an all sports format starting today.

1litemix

Post by 1litemix » Mon May 03, 2021 1:31 pm

Any news Is WJML & WJNL Broadcasting sports radio yet?

1litemix

Post by 1litemix » Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm

Any news on WJML any sports radio yet?

kager

Post by kager » Tue May 04, 2021 2:29 pm

1litemix wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm
Any news on WJML any sports radio yet?
News? I've none. However, as of this writing, AM 1110 is Rich Eisen Show (on Peacock).

I had to haul out my Sony portable for this. Going back to conserving its batteries.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

1litemix

Post by 1litemix » Tue May 04, 2021 2:44 pm

I meant to switch over to sports radio sorry about that

kager

Post by kager » Tue May 04, 2021 3:19 pm

1litemix wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:44 pm
I meant to switch over to sports radio sorry about that
From what little I've read, Eisen's show is 'sports & entertainment', so maybe that fits 'sports radio'? IDK.

I did not hear a station ID or promo, no local ads.

Their online presence is dismally outdated, and the streaming options seem to have fallen off every platform listed when querying the call letters on Google. If their web site or social media can't pass along the 'news', it would be interesting to see how they plan to spread the word beyond Click Rd.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 am

I tuned in last night for a bit. They ID'd as WHAK, WJML, and WJNL "Up North Sports Radio". So yes, I'd say they have switched to their sports format. No mention of WGRY, though. I guess they're doing their own sports format and not simulcasting WGRY. Also, they did not carry the Tigers game last night. I couldn't get WGRY to confirm that WGRY had the Tigers, but I assume they would have. Therefore, I'm pretty confident that WJML is not simulcasting WGRY.

RobHazelton

Post by RobHazelton » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:17 am

jlpeterson1957 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:40 pm
Not too long after KHQ went on the air and everyone's perception was that they were so "different," Rob Hazleton had me listen to KHQ one night from 7-12p while I was on the air and I just duplicated everything they played, which looking back 40+ years probably wasn't the brightest thing to do. lol
-hey Jeff, Well, I guess just like you, since I see my name invoked here, I might as well chime in and clarify a couple of things with regard to your recollection of events during our JML days together and the subsequent signing on of KHQ.

On the evening that you mentioned you had monitored KHQ and “duplicated everything they played”, KHQ wasn’t even officially on the air yet as a commercial radio station. They were simply performing transmitter and audio tests prior to their official launch date in May of 1980. No one (with the exception of those of us in Broadcasting who were paying attention) even knew KHQ existed. In truth, nobody (except for us and the engineers and managers tweaking the KHQ transmitter) was listening to 105.9 FM in late March or early April during the evening that you describe in your posts.

As JML’s PD, and knowing ahead-of-time that KHQ would be using TM’s Stereo Rock reels for their programming, I suspected and was concerned that JML would potentially be in an “uphill battle” in an audio processing war. The TM Stereo Rock Reels out of Dallas were delivered to stations pre-processed with a nominal/semi-aggressive amount of compression, limiting and other sweetening, so subscribing stations didn’t have to push their processing as hard to achieve optimal results.

What you actually did that night was assist me with an audio processing exercise that lasted no more than 30-45 minutes, because I wanted a true A-B comparison of how specific carted source material we were airing stood up against their TM Stereo Rock Reels and audio processing. – And altering our titles for a short period late at night and at a time when “pre-KHQ” was only performing tests and not officially on-the-air as a competitor was a small price to pay to hear exactly where JML stood competitively with regard to audio quality and apparent-loudness on the dial. The title rearrangements we made in those moments were insignificant and in keeping with the format, as the “softening” of JML’s music library was still months away.

Jeff, while I appreciate and have fond memories of our time together at JML, I need to clarify here that I would have never asked you to parrot another station’s programming song-for-song for an entire airshift. - This was an audio processing exercise and test, weeks ahead of a major competitor coming into the market; utilizing as a guide the actual source material that they were airing during testing prior to their official launch. I hope this refreshes your memory.

jlpeterson1957

Post by jlpeterson1957 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:23 pm

RobHazelton wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:17 am
jlpeterson1957 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:40 pm
-hey Jeff, Well, I guess just like you, since I see my name invoked here, I might as well chime in and clarify a couple of things with regard to your recollection of events during our JML days together and the subsequent signing on of KHQ.

On the evening that you mentioned you had monitored KHQ and “duplicated everything they played”, KHQ wasn’t even officially on the air yet as a commercial radio station. They were simply performing transmitter and audio tests prior to their official launch date in May of 1980. No one (with the exception of those of us in Broadcasting who were paying attention) even knew KHQ existed. In truth, nobody (except for us and the engineers and managers tweaking the KHQ transmitter) was listening to 105.9 FM in late March or early April during the evening that you describe in your posts.

As JML’s PD, and knowing ahead-of-time that KHQ would be using TM’s Stereo Rock reels for their programming, I suspected and was concerned that JML would potentially be in an “uphill battle” in an audio processing war. The TM Stereo Rock Reels out of Dallas were delivered to stations pre-processed with a nominal/semi-aggressive amount of compression, limiting and other sweetening, so subscribing stations didn’t have to push their processing as hard to achieve optimal results.

What you actually did that night was assist me with an audio processing exercise that lasted no more than 30-45 minutes, because I wanted a true A-B comparison of how specific carted source material we were airing stood up against their TM Stereo Rock Reels and audio processing. – And altering our titles for a short period late at night and at a time when “pre-KHQ” was only performing tests and not officially on-the-air as a competitor was a small price to pay to hear exactly where JML stood competitively with regard to audio quality and apparent-loudness on the dial. The title rearrangements we made in those moments were insignificant and in keeping with the format, as the “softening” of JML’s music library was still months away.

Jeff, while I appreciate and have fond memories of our time together at JML, I need to clarify here that I would have never asked you to parrot another station’s programming song-for-song for an entire airshift. - This was an audio processing exercise and test, weeks ahead of a major competitor coming into the market; utilizing as a guide the actual source material that they were airing during testing prior to their official launch. I hope this refreshes your memory.
If I recalled wrongly, I apologize. I didn't mean to say we duplicated everything KHQ played for the entire five hours, but only during my shift.

RobHazelton

Post by RobHazelton » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:45 pm

Understood, Jeff, No worries! -Your shift was five hours long (7p-12m); the audio processing test only lasted around 30-45 minutes during your shift. - No apology necessary. :) It was a long time ago….

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic