Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Blarney Stone Broadcasting

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ADD in TC

Blarney Stone Broadcasting

Post by ADD in TC » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:27 pm

Just heard from a very reliable source that 106.3 and the 101.1 translator in the Traverse City area are off the air indefinitely.

Colonel Flagg

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:51 am

Sounds like the LMA with Mr. Yob has come to an end.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:52 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:51 am
Sounds like the LMA with Mr. Yob has come to an end.
Trying to "Crack" into Traverse City might be harder than for "Little Station that Could" from Grayling may have thought. In reality, Finster was their engine in this market, and it seems like he might have taken some of his advertising fans with him to Midwestern.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:55 pm

In reality, Finster was their engine in this market,
Can't say for sure,but from all the little tibits I've heard,it strongly sounds like Finster was fired by Blarney Stone.

Just a random thought from a guy who is not in the radio biz, Would it be feasible or make sense for Smile FM to purchase the 106.3 signal and divest their two local translator's?Could those two translator's be upgraded.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:37 pm

I am betting Yobb won't sell it.

I suspect that this was an experiment that ended up costing B. S. some money. If Finster was fired, I am suspecting that is was because they decided to cut bail.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:19 am

According to the LMA, Blarney Stone was paying (or supposed to pay) $6000 a month plus expenses to Yob.. wonder how long THAT'S gone unpaid.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:30 pm

That seems like a good chunk of money for a puny Class A stick (with less than optimal location) plus a translator. Then again, a couple hundred grand in revenue from those signals should be able to cover those payments, plus Finster's salary, plus a salesperson (since all other overhead was already in place going in). So, I'm guessing $100k or less in per annum ad revenue was generated.

Is B.S. still using 94.5 near the Straits?

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:53 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:30 pm
Is B.S. still using 94.5 near the Straits?
Off the air. Was simulcasting WQON 100.3.

They had WLDR 101.9. Somehow Blarney Stone acquired the tower, and refuses to let WLDR 101.9 use it reasonably. WLDR is on STA, but serves the immediate Traverse City area quite well. That's how WQON ended up simulcasting on WWMN 106.3, a 3 kW equivalent Class A rimshot moved from Ludington to Thompsonville. That's a summation of what I have been told, and what I have read.

WCEN 94.5 Hemlock is now coming in in much of Northern Michigan, fading in and out. That's what some of you may be hearing on 94.5.

WWMN is about as close to Traverse City as it reasonably can be, given the proximity of WWMK 106.3. It's on the original WIAA 88.3 tower, and now the AUX for WIAA 88.7.
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:04 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:30 pm
That seems like a good chunk of money for a puny Class A stick (with less than optimal location) plus a translator. Then again, a couple hundred grand in revenue from those signals should be able to cover those payments, plus Finster's salary, plus a salesperson (since all other overhead was already in place going in). So, I'm guessing $100k or less in per annum ad revenue was generated.
You can't hire someone to competently sell anything in TC for less than about 70k. I would estimate, $160,000 was break even.

― Noam Chomsky

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:59 pm

ADD in TC wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:55 pm
Can't say for sure,but from all the little tibits I've heard,it strongly sounds like Finster was fired by Blarney Stone.

Just a random thought from a guy who is not in the radio biz, Would it be feasible or make sense for Smile FM to purchase the 106.3 signal and divest their two local translator's?Could those two translator's be upgraded.
If Smile FM were to buy the Mitten News group, they could turn around and sell their existing 97.1 and 102.5 translators to Midwestern to give 580 and 1310 an FM presence

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:55 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:59 pm
ADD in TC wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:55 pm

If Smile FM were to buy the Mitten News group, they could turn around and sell their existing 97.1 and 102.5 translators to Midwestern to give 580 and 1310 an FM presence
My thought is that that he only way WWMN MAY BE profitable is if either Macdonald-Garbor or Black Diamond rebroadcasted one of their existing stations there.But both those groups are at FM ownership caps in this market.None of the previous 3 operators(4 different formats) seemed to make a go of this signal.

Smile FM has a weak signal in gaps within the West side of Northern Michigan that the WWMN signal would greatly help out with.

The two Smile FM translator's would probably have to be able to be upgraded to have any value though.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:19 am

The geography in this market makes translators almost worthless, unless you can cover most of Grand Traverse County.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:41 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:19 am
The geography in this market makes translators almost worthless, unless you can cover most of Grand Traverse County.
The translators on top of the ridge West of Traverse City do cover much of Grand Traverse County, due to being line of sight in all directions. It's the stations from areas beyond that are shadowed. And WWMN has to be that far out due to FCC rules. Water goes down hill of course, so it is almost always the areas right next to a lake, river, or ocean that are shadowed. Before the FM band was completely jammed up, people would listen to weaker signals, because there were few to no strong ones. Around 1962, there were only three FM stations in Michigan North of the 44th parallel.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:14 am

Now there are all those people losing money in Northern Michigan

― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:21 pm

David Gleason, who is coadministrator of another radio message board, used to DX AM BC stations from a small town North of Traverse City on the West side of Grand Traverse Bay. It was 1962 or so, and he said the only FM he could get then was WWTV-FM 92.9, then on the WWTV 9 tower. He did a Spanish Language show for a few years back then on WCCW 1310 in the Summer, very early in the morning, Pre Sunrise, when they were allowed 1000 watts PSA at 4:00 AM, before new rules limited it to 500 watts at 6:00 AM.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic