Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NBC IN ALPENA

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
statmanmi

Re: NBC IN ALPENA

Post by statmanmi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:30 pm

ramboy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:44 pm
location is on Beaver Lake, Northern/Eastern side, M65 and Beaver Lake Rd
Hi ramboy,

Since you gave a fairly specific location, you piqued my interest in what signal strengths are estimated from websites that do such calculations.

Perhaps you've heard of TVFool. Its data has gone stale, with no apparent recent effort by the owner to update it for the repack changes. But, another big aficionado of television broadcasting has his hobby site doing similar estimates: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

Realistically, NBC is still looking pretty bleak in the spring, even when WTOM gets their new permanent antenna installed (they're on an interim one now); and even if WGTU is granted their maximization to the 1,000 kW that MWmetalhead mentions.

I picked a spot on the NE side of Beaver Lake, and state that an outdoor antenna will be 50 feet above the ground (which is the maximum height my township in Kent County would allow without a variance), the results don't look good:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.p ... y_id=58669

On another forum site I watch, a retired broadcast engineer noted that it's almost impossible to pull in a signal that is more than -80 dBm. (On the above page, I change the "Units" drop-down to dBm, and the "Sort By" to be "Signal Power".)

Using that -80 dBM rule-of-thumb, and if all the maximization filings are approved by the FCC, MWmetalhead's thoughts about possibly WGTQ from the UP does get listed as the first NBC source...but as -94.38 dBm, which is likely hopeless. (Click on "Post-Repack Search List" to see this result, which assumes all applications and construction permits on file with the FCC get completed.)

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 am
I did some more checking, and WGTU channel 29 (which transmits from the same Kalkaska tower as WPBN) has filed an application to increase power to 1,000 kW omnidirectional. It is unclear when or if WGTU will be broadcasting at that power level. Perhaps someone with a better understanding of the FCC databases can answer that question.

Hi MWmetalhead, It's like you cued me! I'm too geeked out regarding the FCC filings, as well as the RabbitEars.info site, to NOT comment here.

As of now, hardly any of the "maximization" or increased power filings that had a window in November 2017 (for existing stations that weren't told to change their frequencies) have been approved. I did see one go through in Michigan in the last 3 weeks, for a Marquette station. So maybe with the repack approaching the final phases, the FCC teams are starting to evaluate these.

From the RabbitEars site, if one clicks on the Callsign for a station (such as WGTQ), then in the resulting area click on the words "Technical Data", it does a great job of showing that the request to increase isn't yet approved (since it's DTV-APP, Pending...with APP apparently being short for Application). The proprietor of the site has automation in place to somehow get updates at least overnight, so once an Application is approved, the left-side reference would become DTV-CP, Granted (CP of course being Construction Permit).

WTOM's Technical Data section is another good example, as it shows how they have a Granted Construction Permit (at 559 feet above {average} ground level, but that their STA (special temporary authority) through 4/18/2020 is at 471 feet. [I know you'd recognize the abbreviations, but I provide the definitions for others that may skim my posts. I have a pet peeve about people using TLAs (three letter acronyms) without defining them once for the audience.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to ramboy's inquiry about NBC: Does the cabin somehow have fairly good internet? Either via cable TV service (and I'll mention that Spectrum/Charter hooked a friend of mine up with "seasonal" pricing at their Northern Michigan cottage), or cellular data? If so, two options come to mind:

* Remote access from the cabin to a DVR device at your permanent home. I personally have a TabloTV DVR in use, and have enjoyed the functionality that let me stream from it out to work, on vacation, etc. I believe the AirTV and Amazon Fire Recast also offer this out-of-home streaming capability. Others have posted on sites about using Plex with HDHomeRun tuners to do so as well.

* Subscribe to a streaming site. In addition to the likes of YouTube TV and Hulu Live, NBC themselves will be launching a site/service called Peacock this year, with what seem to be reasonable prices:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/16/2106 ... rry-potter

Must be their answer to "CBS All Access". But at least you'd have a way to pay month-by-month (and not be locked into an annual contract or promotion) for just the one network you'd be lacking via an antenna at the cabin.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:13 pm

WTOM-TV did indeed have a 10 element 4 bay antenna on their tower at Cordwood Point to pick up WNEM-TV 5 for alternate off air NBC programming in the 1960s. I would think that it would have been used during tropospheric conditions that caused extreme cochannel interference from WBKB-TV/WLS-TV when it was 316 kW on Marina City, as it was in the same general direction as WPBN-TV off air. The microwave links between WPBN-TV and WTOM-TV were probably down at the same time. There might have been lesser interference from WXYZ-TV, but the 10 element 4 Bay antenna probably would have nulled that out. After they moved to the Sears/Willis Tower, the analog ERP of WLS-TV 7 went way down. And yes, Channel 11 Alpena recycled the WBKB-TV call letters a few years after Channel 7 Chicago became WLS-TV. Sometimes, the problem was WPBN-TV not being able to get either WOOD-TV 8 from Stanwood or WNEM-TV 5 from Barryton off air because of the same conditions.

I remember staying in a motel in the 1970s between Harrisville and Alpena, and the office had WNEM-TV 5 Movies loudly playing long into the night.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ray cathode

Post by ray cathode » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:02 am

You are only 10 miles directly west of the WBKB transmitter on Hubbard Lake Road. The terrain could be a problem, but a directional antenna pointed east might do the trick.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:10 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:13 pm
WTOM-TV did indeed have a 10 element 4 bay antenna on their tower at Cordwood Point to pick up WNEM-TV 5 for alternate off air NBC programming in the 1960s. I would think that it would have been used during tropospheric conditions that caused extreme cochannel interference from WBKB-TV/WLS-TV when it was 316 kW on Marina City, as it was in the same general direction as WPBN-TV off air. The microwave links between WPBN-TV and WTOM-TV were probably down at the same time. There might have been lesser interference from WXYZ-TV, but the 10 element 4 Bay antenna probably would have nulled that out. After they moved to the Sears/Willis Tower, the analog ERP of WLS-TV 7 went way down. And yes, Channel 11 Alpena recycled the WBKB-TV call letters a few years after Channel 7 Chicago became WLS-TV. Sometimes, the problem was WPBN-TV not being able to get either WOOD-TV 8 from Stanwood or WNEM-TV 5 from Barryton off air because of the same conditions.
Likewise, the analog Channel 7 signal from WSAU-TV/WSAW from Wausau, WI was a real blowtorch and certainly would've caused occasional severe interference to WPBN reception at the WTOM site.

Unless WMBV-TV was itself picking up NBC from WPBN-TV when it launched in September 1954, It seems odd to me that WPBN didn't use WMBV-TV (and later, WFRV and WLUK) for at least an alternate NBC feed. Granted, WMBV didn't get color until 1959, but there would've been minimal interference on channels 5 and 11 from Minneapolis/St. Paul at the WPBN site, and the receiving antennas would've been oriented about 60 degrees (Scray's Hill, Green Bay ) or 90 degrees (Marinette) off-axis relative to the Chicago signals on 5 and 11. WFRV, notably, broadcast a clean, microwaved-in signal and rarely pre-empted NBC programming.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:56 pm

ramboy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:42 pm
Thanks, I will try it in the spring
ray cathode wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:02 am
You are only 10 miles directly west of the WBKB transmitter on Hubbard Lake Road. The terrain could be a problem, but a directional antenna pointed east might do the trick.
Hi All,

Just a quick note that the Original Poster ramboy's profile page shows he was last active on this site in Feb. 2022.

Likely he found that WBKB added NBC early this year (2022), so as to now provide the top 4 networks in their one transmission signal.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:40 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
1954, It seems odd to me that WPBN didn't use WMBV-TV (and later, WFRV and WLUK) for at least an alternate NBC feed.
There may have been a time shift problem due to Wisconsin being on central time zone.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:15 pm

Jim Sofonia wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:40 am
Ben Zonia wrote:
1954, It seems odd to me that WPBN didn't use WMBV-TV (and later, WFRV and WLUK) for at least an alternate NBC feed.
There may have been a time shift problem due to Wisconsin being on central time zone.
Central time zone stations use the Eastern time zone feeds without time shifting, although tape-delaying late-night network programming was once a widespread practice by stations in the Central and Pacific time zones.

Besides, the entire Upper Peninsula was on year-round Central Standard Time until Public Act 6 of 1967 went into effect. WPBN/WTOM and WWTV/WWUP were thus serving Central time zone viewers from their launch until 1967.

Wisconsin adopted Daylight Saving Time in 1957 while Michigan waited until 1973, putting the Lower Peninsula on the same time as Wisconsin when Central Daylight Time kicked in, with the UP an hour behind.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:14 pm

Tall about confusion on time slots...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic